spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LukeW

@apexcovantage.com

[IA] Question for BAINCH

BAINCH, I recently read your post about Mediacom using technology to direct cable modems to less congested channels automatically. What determines this action? When we are streaming HD content our Thomson RCA DCM425 cable modem will change channels every 30 seconds to 5 minutes. At times this causes delays in the connection to occasional outages as the modem becomes unresponsive and requires unplugging and reconnecting. technical support previously told us the channel changing was a cable modem issue. Mediacom swapped the cable modem with another Thomson RCA DCM425 and we still have the same issue. Sometimes this issue doesn't occur for days while other days it occurs multiple times each day. This also causes problems while online gaming as packets get dropped during channel changing. Is congestion on the node causing the channel changing? If so, is the threshold too low to cause so much channel changing or is it a sign of severe congestion on the node?

InterceptorX

join:2009-08-23
Streator, IL
That is a DOCSIS 2.0 modem, I would recommend getting a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, I think it should help with your problem.

BAINCH
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2003-04-02
Blooming Grove, NY
kudos:11
reply to LukeW
said by LukeW :

BAINCH, I recently read your post about Mediacom using technology to direct cable modems to less congested channels automatically. What determines this action? When we are streaming HD content our Thomson RCA DCM425 cable modem will change channels every 30 seconds to 5 minutes. At times this causes delays in the connection to occasional outages as the modem becomes unresponsive and requires unplugging and reconnecting. technical support previously told us the channel changing was a cable modem issue. Mediacom swapped the cable modem with another Thomson RCA DCM425 and we still have the same issue. Sometimes this issue doesn't occur for days while other days it occurs multiple times each day. This also causes problems while online gaming as packets get dropped during channel changing. Is congestion on the node causing the channel changing? If so, is the threshold too low to cause so much channel changing or is it a sign of severe congestion on the node?

The CMTS monitors utilization on each channel in a service group and issues out the command to move channels. The algorithm can be "tweaked" and we have recently made it less aggressive to reduce the quantity of channel changes attempted. Additionally it helps if the signal strength and quality is good (or to put it another way, poor signal not only impacts performance would could also increase the time it takes to successfully change channels.) Lastly it is important that the modem be running the latest firmware (this is particularly true of the DCM425.) MediacomChad can help with that.

I hope that answers your question.