gulz
join:2013-01-26
Las Vegas, NV

1 edit

gulz

New Cable Modem Not Connecting, DPC2100R2

Click for full size
Click for full size
I recently got a DPC2100R2 cable mode, the same one originally installed by the Cox internet crew, as I needed another one for the household. My problem is that the new one does not have an internet connection. No drops or unstable connection, no connection at all.

I've tried the standard switching around cables, connections, unscrewing coax/re-screwing coax, and shutdowns/startups.

I've attached a couple images I think may be helpful in figuring out the problem. I also have CPE connection information and modem info if needed, I'm not sure if I should post it at this time.

I'm still trying to debug this problem, any hints? I'm not sure if I need to update firmware (once i figure out how to) or if the mac address needs to be changed. Any tips would help.

Thanks
bryant313
join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313

are you trying to run two cable modems at the same time?
gulz
Las Vegas, NV

2 edits

gulz

Click for full size
No, I don't have both running when I try to get my new one to work. I keep the working one unplugged.

edit: image here is information concerning the working modem. When my new one is operational, I suppose I will be having one modem operating in one room, and the other modem in another room. Each modem connected to a different cable outlet (living room / bedroom). Is this a problem?
qbanb8582
join:2012-08-09
Pensacola, FL

qbanb8582

Just a dumb question do you have 2nd modem activated?
bryant313
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313 to gulz

to gulz
i believe you can only have 1 cable modem per home unless you run a second cable line from the street or pedestal and have to pay for additional service on that second line
gulz
Las Vegas, NV

gulz to qbanb8582

to qbanb8582
oh god, how does that happen? not that i know of.

edit: i just looked up activating modems. apparently i just call up cox and tell them the serial/mac address?
qbanb8582
Pensacola, FL

qbanb8582 to gulz

to gulz
www.cox.com/activate may work for your area just put in the modem info
bryant313
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313 to gulz

to gulz
yes they can activate the modem for you over the phone
just tell them you bought a new modem and want to add it your account

but as i said before i think you can only use one cable modem per home unless you get a second line and pay for the additional service
qbanb8582
Pensacola, FL

qbanb8582 to gulz

to gulz
I have like 3 on my account. Comes in handy when troubleshooting a modem or signal issue.
gulz
Las Vegas, NV

gulz to bryant313

to bryant313
thanks bryant and qbanb8582. i'll try activating tomorrow and that should probably do it. i also need to look into the whole second modem issue that probably exists.

thanks guys, that should probably do it
qbanb8582
Pensacola, FL

qbanb8582 to gulz

to gulz
Have tried going to www.cox.com/activate also if its that important tech support is open 24 hours and can activate it over the phone.
bryant313
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313 to qbanb8582

to qbanb8582
right you can have multiple modems on your account i have done that before

but if you are trying to use multiple modems on the same line say 1 modem in the living room for you PC and one in your bedroom for your PC at the same time will not work you would need a separate line coming from your tap to accommodate both modems
m8trix
join:2003-12-24
Chandler, AZ

m8trix

that is incorrect you can have 2 modems on the same line as long as you pay for 2 internet services, i have done this plenty of times for when i have room mates and dont want to set up a 2nd account
bryant313
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313

thanks for the info i was not too sure on it but i knew you needed too pay for two internet services