Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

megatron266
Premium
join:2007-08-11
Miami, FL

ASA 5505 Firewall Help

My company is using an ASA 5505 to VPN into a cloud storage server. I need this same device to assign over 500 private IPs on the internal LAN. I've looked at different options but can't find anywhere I can subnet for more private IPs. Any thoughts?

On that note if this device can't do it and recommendations on a router that can handle a large private network?

Thanks for any and all help.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
ASA can do DHCP and VLANs. The one gotcha about this watch your licence level on the ASA before
installing / configuring! If you have a BASE licence, you're limited to 10 or 50 trusted hosts and 3 VLANs.
If you have 500 internal hosts, I'd probably look to a seperate device to do DHCP and let the ASA handle
firewall / VPN duties.

To check your licence level, do a "show ver" from the CLI and post up the results.

My 00000010bits

Regards

Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4
reply to megatron266
500 IPs? I second HELLFIRE See Profile—setup a DHCP server. This is not really the job of a firewall.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to megatron266
While it has a simple DHCP server, it won't handle 500 addresses. And you'll need an unlimited license (vs. 10 or 50 hosts, which it measures by IP address, and vpn clients count even though they are technically inside hosts.)

RyanG1
Premium
join:2002-02-10
San Antonio, TX
kudos:1
reply to megatron266
not to mention its limited to 10,000/25,000 connections depending on licensing... this doesnt even have bandwidth figured in.

for 500 hosts id be looking at a 5520 at the minimum for implementation.

just my 2 cents

Ryan
--
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

megatron266
Premium
join:2007-08-11
Miami, FL
reply to megatron266
ok great thanks for your suggestions. now any good equipment out there dedicated to being a DHCP server? i know i could setup a windows machine but i'd rather a piece of equipment to setup and go.

Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4
reply to megatron266
DHCP is not resource intensive. You could easily deploy a low-end CF-based system running a UNIX-like OS with dhcpd.