uniqs
share rss forum feed

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast

[WIN8] C drive showing 53GB of 55GBS used.

I have a problem with a hard drive. I have a 60GB ssd drive that I am using for my c drive. I was looking at the properties and it is reporting 53GB used out 55GB. When I added all folders I can only account for around 20GB. I opened the properties of each folder to get the totals.
What could cause this? That 33Gbs that is not accounted for.
--
Caddy

redxii
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-26
Sherwood, MI

I don't remember how to navigate Win 8's confusing bipolar UI but if you go into the Folder Options settings (usually accessible from Control Panel or from Computer) in the View tab, uncheck "Hide operating system files" and enable "Show hidden files, folders and drives" it will reveal more files

There might be a hiberfil.sys & pagefile.sys in the root of the drive that you haven't accounted for. Hiberfil.sys is for hibernation and its size is close to the amount of ram you have installed. pagefile.sys would take quite a few gigabytes as well.

Also hidden is restore points, shadow copies/backups, recovery files.
--
Moe, I need your advice… See I've got this friend named Joey Joe-Joe... Junior... Shabadoo..

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3
reply to Caddyroger

As stated above it is the Pagefile and the Hibernate file (hiberfil.sys).

They are by default the same size as the amount of RAM you have installed. If you have 16GBs of RAM then those two file are both 16GBs in size, X 2 = 32-33 GBs.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to Caddyroger

We have recent threads here showing how to elinminate the hiberfil.sys file.

You can reduce the pagefile size manually.

Doing both those things should make your 60GB SSD usable again.

That's a short term fix, however. You also need to get a second much larger drive for all your non-operating files.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA
reply to Caddyroger

said by Caddyroger:

What could cause this? That 33Gbs that is not accounted for.

Hidden and system files/folders

Unless you turn off hibernation and fast boot, your hiberfile will be exactly the size of the amount of ram you have installed.

Your pagefile is whatever you've set virtual memory to.

Then there is various backups and cached files. These can be cleaned up using "disk cleanup" - »helpdeskgeek.com/windows-8/how-t···ndows-8/ - although not mentioned in that linked page, you want to do both a regular disk cleanup and then go back and run it again, this time clicking "Clean up system files"

If this is an upgrade you can also safely delete the Windows.old folder unless you're still thinking about rolling the upgrade back to windows 7.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
reply to Caddyroger

Thanks for the help. I got it where I have 20GB free.I changed the page file down to 5GB instead Of 20GB
--
Caddy

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to JohnInSJ

On my system I've had difficulty deleting the Windows.old folder. Even with UAC turned off it refuses to delete it. I'll probably end up booting a linux live cd to finally get rid of it, but that partition is >1TB so space isn't exactly at a premium...
--
Think Outside the Fox.

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Caddyroger

If you still have a HD, just move the swapfile there.
If create 2 partitions on the drive first a small partition of 30 GB and then a larger partition for the rest of the pace you can change the small partion to your z: drive and becasue it is at the forn tof the drive it will always have the fastest access. everything else can go on the larger partiton and that can be your d: or f: drive or whatever letter you like.

csiemers

join:2000-09-16
Portland, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to sivran

Run Disk Cleanup. That's how I got it removed.

1. Let it scan your C: drive
2. Select the button "Clean up system files"
3. It will rescan your C: drive
4. There should be an option for removing previous versions of Windows.
--
»www.caryontech.com