dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde to Doonz

to Doonz

Re: Shaw uses some sneaky kind of new throttling.

Even I'm jealous of your connection Doonz.
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by ravenchilde:

Even I'm jealous of your connection Doonz.

You and me both.

But to be honest when I first got on the 250/15 I wasn't happy with the speeds I was receiving. I was basically capping off at 14MB/s. SO i fired up a ram drive to see if the bottle neck was the mechanical drives and it was.

Now everything that receives downloads from the internet are on ssd's.

THe torrent server downloads onto 2x 240gb in raid o
The usenet server is 2x240gb in raid 0.

They then transfer to my file server over 10gb links. (Ebayed some old cx4 switches and cards)

The File server is 16x 3TB in Raid 10 (Its freenas so its zfs raid) with 64GB of ram.

So my backend is designed to handle high speed.
KernelKurtz
join:2012-06-25

KernelKurtz

But to be honest when I first got on the 250/15 I wasn't happy with the speeds I was receiving. I was basically capping off at 14MB/s. SO i fired up a ram drive to see if the bottle neck was the mechanical drives and it was.
KernelKurtz

KernelKurtz

So that didn't work the way I thought it would.......

Anyway, a lot of people probably don't realize how limiting disc speed is. I work for the local municipal government, and we have a fairly large fiber MAN (as well as a lot of leased TLS/VPLS from Shaw), and to qualify fiber, as well as typical OTDR and loss tests, we use two laptops running Knoppix (any live distro would do) to do FTP transfers over it. With files loaded directly into RAM we can get pretty close to a full Gb/s between even some fairly old laptops. This lets us move a lot of traffic to look for errors on interfaces and such as well.

Also, Glasnnost is another app to test for shaping/throttling

»broadband.mpi-sws.org/tr ··· test.php
ruiner3
join:2012-03-10
Canada

ruiner3

Except even most fairly recent laptop drives can sustain a 30 MB/s write speed in Windows. I have 2 laptops that are 3 and 4 yrs old. The 3 yr old can hold around 33 MB/s and the 4 yr old budget laptop can handle around 25 MB/s.

Even my NAS with a 1 GHz embedded SoC can handle > 30 MB/s write.
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by ruiner3:

Except even most fairly recent laptop drives can sustain a 30 MB/s write speed in Windows. I have 2 laptops that are 3 and 4 yrs old. The 3 yr old can hold around 33 MB/s and the 4 yr old budget laptop can handle around 25 MB/s.

Even my NAS with a 1 GHz embedded SoC can handle > 30 MB/s write.

Which drives would those be?
familypizza
join:2013-01-07

familypizza

take your pick...
»www.tomshardware.com/rev ··· 0-8.html

the numbers quoted are very typical speeds for 4 year old laptop hard drives... as shown in the charts.