spc
uniqs

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to Slack

to Slack

Re: [BC] Horrendous YouTube performance

That is pathetic for gpon. There's a local community in AB that is doing a fiber roll out to the entire town and is planning on offering symmetrical 50x50 on gpon, just to start with. The availability of gpon on Telus side is extremely limited, also VDSL2 is extremely limited by distance from the DSLAM. At my old place I barely qualified for the 25Mb, and only got it due to a Telus tech on this site. Also, their hardware is crap. The V1000h is crap, and I personally had 3 failures. Last one being 4 days due to a long weekend. Those 4 days I have no TV or internet, as Telus rely's on a single point of failure for two services. The v2000h which is being put in now doesn't look promising either. I've actually had Telus within the past year, and my opinion is based on personal facts and not just speculation. If Telus provided descent hardware that could be bridged, they might have a mediocre service.

spock8
join:2012-07-08

spock8

Rusty do you happen to know what the speed limits are for GPON? I can't seem to find much info. I was reading 1/1 Gbps
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde

said by spock8:

Rusty do you happen to know what the speed limits are for GPON? I can't seem to find much info. I was reading 1/1 Gbps

I'll take this as I have a lot of experience with high speed optical networks.

GPON standards being deployed these days (ITU is the standards org) is generally GPON: ~2.5 down / ~1.25 up. 10G-PON is usually 10 down / 2.5 up. Other bitrate combinations are available in the standards. I say approx above, because to me it looks like the rates were originally based on matching ATM at OC-48 on the downstream.

EPON standards are generally: 1/1 symmetric. 10G-EPON was standardized as 10 down / 1 up. But I've heard of 10 down / 2.5 up, and symmetric 10 down / 10 up from vendors as well.