share rss forum feed

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to vicma

Re: Quebec: Best ISP and plan for value?

Hang on - Let me get my crystal ball !

vicma

@rogers.com
reply to Guspaz
Any one know when a decision is expected?

chico

@bell.ca
reply to Guspaz
When will the ruling be completed and when will the new pricing be available? I desperately want to get out of Bell and go with Teksavvy cable.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Rickkins
said by Rickkins:

said by TSI Marc:

I'd hold off for a bit still.

Alright dude... spill...

CRTC CBB ruling expected in the near future, which, it is expected, will substantially lower CBB fees, enabling much better prices and higher speeds from ISPs.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Rickkins

join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

Alright dude... spill...

pldube

join:2011-06-11
canada
reply to cataplexy
Old spreadsheet but still good

»docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?k···3c#gid=0

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to cataplexy
Colba is only the best deal if you forget the fact that they're Colba. And they charge some extra usurious fee for annex M.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to cataplexy

Is your phone service TSI's VoIP TekTalk, or it it a regular Bell Landline ?

Gotta factor in the cost of a landline if you have one and want to keep it, such as if you go Cable.

Also, consider the MODEM extortion fee from Bell thru the Indies for VDSL (aka 25Mbps or faster DSL service) - That's $8 to $10 extra per month if you were thinking of having that speed - you DID mention 30 Mbps Cable in your OP.

And yes, IME, Cable installs have less problems on the average, especially if you are inexperienced with modems & routers, as there is no account login for the user to need to program into the router for Cable service, but there IS for DSL.

AND, as someone else said, the DDL (Dreaded DRY LOOP) fee/ripoff/rental, if you need one of those in your plan - except with eBox on some plans.

julienvf

join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to cataplexy
It depends where you are. Colba ADSL2+, if you are close to CO's is the best deal when you get 15mb+. Check the coverage map here: »colba.net/map2plus.php?lang=fr

Lowest cost is Teksavvy cable basic 5/1mbps with 300gb for 24.95$/month.

Then go on with Acanac (Distributel) 10.5/1.5 mbps cable unlimited for 39.95$ if paid yearly.

Last is Acanac cable 30/3mbps unlimited for 56.95$/month if paid yearly.

If you need more bandwith, CIK Telecom offers 60/4mbps cable unlimited for 99.99$/month.

If you are in an area where Bell offers FTTH service, might wanna check their Fibe 50/50 symmetrical service now that you can have it with unlimited bandwith.

rednekcowboy

join:2012-03-21
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to qcc4ble
said by qcc4ble :

Ebox: $49.95 Activation + $15 Shipping + $59.95/mo ($49.95/mo + $10/mo rental modem) = $124.90+tx First bill

You don't have to have the modem shipped if you are in Montreal/Longueuil you can just pick it up in the office and save yourself the $15, so it makes it almost as cheap as Distributel....(cost you about $4 more initially, but you save $12/month)

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to LanAdmin
said by LanAdmin:

said by TSI Marc:

Somme changes coming for Videotron TPIA in Quebec?

Yes, the CRTC is supposed to be publishing the finalized capacity rates for wholesale cable and DSL shortly and once those are out ISPs will hopefully be able to offer cheaper and/or better plans.

cataplexy

join:2013-01-27
Quebec, QC
reply to Dunlop
Videotron will never offer unlimited plans, not in a million years.

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to LanAdmin
said by LanAdmin:

said by TSI Marc:

Considering Bell is now offering unlimited on ALL plans, there is definitely going to be good stuff going round for everyone

LanAdmin

join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·voip.ms
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

cataplexy

Quebec, QC
reply to qcc4ble
@qcc4ble

Good work, thank you.

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
reply to Batman

qcc4ble

@leaseweb.com
reply to cataplexy
Distributel has the lowest "bill shock" but it's significantly higher than ebox and TSI if you only use 200-300GB/mo.

Acanac: $49.95 Activation + $99.95 Cable Modem + $683.40 ($56.95 * 12 months) = $833.30+tax First bill

TSI: $65 Activation + $10 Shipping + $99 Cable modem + $59.95/mo = $233.95+tx First bill

Ebox: $49.95 Activation + $15 Shipping + $59.95/mo ($49.95/mo + $10/mo rental modem) = $124.90+tx First bill

Distributel: $39 Activation + $71.90/mo ($66.95/mo + $4.95/mo rental modem) = $110.90+tx First bill

Batman

@videotron.ca
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

oh, oh. Do my bat senses detect some aggressive pricing coming out soon, depending on what the CRTC rules on in the coming month?

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to Dunlop
Agreed loss in my case is negligible i am with ebox in ontario and everything goes to Quebec, but ping loss is minor imo. The reason i say go with ebox DSL is because well no dryloop so easy voip save on phone ebox even offers voip so get net/phone from them and save.
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to cataplexy
I was with Teksavvy for DSL and then Ebox for cable and I never had an issue with either. You will get a slightly better ping with Ebox as everything with Teksavvy is routed through Toronto but the gain is negligible. Go with whatever rate suits you better

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to cataplexy
While waiting is a great Idea I personally would suggest EBOX, i recently got there services and the 15/1 250gb cap for 38 bucks is a killer deal also No dryloop fees.. is very Key! if you go DSL, If ya go cable not sure the figures but the speed cable 20 looks like a good deal as well, And if you do go cable I personally suggest u bite the bullet and buy the modem, Reason being $5/ month for 12 months is 60 bucks wasted and as you said u have had teksavvy for 5 years, so you would have spent 300 dollars on the modem in that course of time.. ISP would love it u woulda spent $200 over its value or could have replaced it out of warranty twice!

Oh and Acanac requires u to prepay for a year to get there low prices.
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

cataplexy

Quebec, QC
reply to TSI Marc
Alright. Haven't had a single problem with Teksavvy in 5 years, really great service you're providing.

Constructive criticism: it seems you have the highest installation fees in the industry at the moment. And with Distributel, u can rent the Thomson modem for just $5 a month, as opposed to paying 99$ with Teksavvy, that's a pretty big difference. I'm guessing that $99 + $65 for installation puts off a lot of people from subscribing, that's my case anyway.

Thank you.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
reply to cataplexy
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

cataplexy

Quebec, QC

2 edits
I'm with Teksavvy, i have basic phone and adsl 6mb, and want something faster. Everything is available in my building: cable, vdsl, fibe50, etc. I've been comparing plans from various ISPs: Teksavvy, Distributel, Acanac, Ebox, Bell. Each has their pro and cons it seems.

I download 200-300gb a month, don't upload at all. Don't wanna use credit card. Hoping for low installation fee. Will need to buy/rent modem. Don't mind a contract.

In general, it seems Cable 30MB is cheaper and less troublesome to set up than VDSL 25MB , right?

Pros and Cons of various ISPs for Cable 30MB:
-Acanac: best price (free phone for a year) and unlimited usage but we can only pay with credit card(???)
-Distributel: unlimited usage and low installation fee but monthly rate is higher.
-Ebox: 250gb cap, low install fee.
-Teksavvy: highest install fee, modem cost more, 300gb cap.
-Fibe50: wayyy too expensive after 6 months, don't want TV.

Any opinion? There is no clear cut winner for my needs. Leaning toward Ebox or Distributel