Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:1

[HSI] Charter handing out newer modems for 100mb/5mb tier?

With the rumors and potential new speed increases coming soon. Is Charter handing out updated modems for that tier? I still have and own my Ubee U10C035. I seen a fellow member had posted back in August of last year. Charter gave them a Ubee DDM352. Which is much newer and more capable. Suppose I will just have to go down to my local office and see? And if they are handing out newer ones. I should not have a problem getting it since Charter now provides the modem included in the price?

zed260
Premium
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN

you shouldnt have any problem

but if i was you id wait till they make an offical announcment if i had to bet there probably gonna just increse upload speeds maybe make it 100/20 at first

Ryan818

join:2006-12-14
Medford, OR
reply to KoRnGtL15

I live in Medford, OR and was given a Cisco DPC3008. This was new in box and was sent from Charter. I am not sure what the local offices provide for walk-ins. I had my own Motorola 6120 but was forced to use a Charter modem when my plan was up. I am not certain if others in our area are getting Ubee or Cisco modems.

anon anon

@charter.com

said by Ryan818:

I live in Medford, OR and was given a Cisco DPC3008. This was new in box and was sent from Charter. I am not sure what the local offices provide for walk-ins. I had my own Motorola 6120 but was forced to use a Charter modem when my plan was up. I am not certain if others in our area are getting Ubee or Cisco modems.

You can keep your own modem if its the right kind. The 6120 had major issues. That's probably why Charter wanted you to have another one. I haven't read anyone with a 6121 having to give it up. It doesn't mean it hasn't happened just no one has posted about it. Since that's what my local office gives out why would I have to give mine up?

Ryan818

Medford, OR

4 edits

They would not let me keep my own modem. In fact they never even asked what type of modem I had. I tried to argue with them but it didn't matter. I could of had a Ubee or a Motorolla 6121 and it would have been the same situation. The bottom line is if you want to change your service or your promotion has expired, you have to give up your modem. I am currently not under any kind of promotional pricing at this time. I guess this could vary by location, but I went through the Charter phone support just 2 weeks ago. Also my 6120 was rock solid from day one all the way to the moment I disconnected it and provisioned the new Cisco modem. I never had the firmware issues or reboots that others experienced. I think it got a bad rap, but in reality Charter was the one who screwed them up to begin with.

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
kudos:2

My promo package expired this month, and I kept my old TV package, but switched to the $50 internet 30M tier, and they let me keep my SB 6121 modem. So it seems some modems are approved.

Ryan818

Medford, OR

Well I guess it varies by areas. I really didn't care that much since I got a modem that seems to be much more capable than the one I owned. Plus if they mess up their own modem with a firmware update I am not out any money. Now if they start charging for the modem then that will be an entirely different story.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
reply to KoRnGtL15

Another thing. I am still on promo pricing for the 100mb/5mb tier. If I went down to the Charter office and got an updated modem. If they are indeed handing newer ones out. Think I would screw myself over by losing the promo yes? Or would they give me the modem and still let me keep my promo since it is not up yet?

Ryan818

Medford, OR

If it was me I would just wait it out until your promo is up. I guess it depends on whether you really need the modem bad enough. I have heard from a few friends who went to the local Charter offices that the modems they handed out were not new in the box but had been circulated. This was of course in Medford not Grants Pass. I was not happy to give up my Motorola 6120 as it had worked fine all along. The Cisco replacement is okay but not nearly as good as the Motorola in terms of consistent speeds.

duffman45200

join:2010-09-20

If I were you I would wait and see what the speed increases bring, your modem may still be just fine for the increased speeds, you still have a little breathing room.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
reply to KoRnGtL15

I will go ahead and wait it out.

dks7

join:2004-05-31
Omak, WA

I am curious what kind of new speeds they may be offering.

YeaRightChtr

@charter.com
reply to anon anon

said by anon anon :

The 6120 had major issues.

FALSE. The 6120 was just one of the first Docsis 3.0 modems and Charter had a snafu where they incidentally bricked most customer 6120 modems on a botched firmware update. Because they didn't supply the modems to customers it took quite a bit of complaining on the forums here for Charter to come clean.

whoaru99

join:2003-12-17

That's not really true either.

The modems weren't bricked at all. They were rendered incompatible with some CMTS. If you still had one of these modems and connected it today you'd see it works just fine because Charter (and others) fixed their CMTS.

wingrider01

join:2006-07-25
Saint Louis, MO

said by whoaru99:

That's not really true either.

The modems weren't bricked at all. They were rendered incompatible with some CMTS. If you still had one of these modems and connected it today you'd see it works just fine because Charter (and others) fixed their CMTS.

Correct have one tha has been running for a long time and it is rock solid

form1040

join:2010-10-28
Saint Louis, MO
reply to msmisfit

said by msmisfit:

My promo package expired this month, and I kept my old TV package, but switched to the $50 internet 30M tier, and they let me keep my SB 6121 modem. So it seems some modems are approved.

Same here, I changed over to the current pricing and I'm still using my personally-owned SB 6120 that I've been using since July 2010.

I unwound my promo contract since I didn't want to pay for TV for another 15 months. I went to the customer office to return the cablecards and cancel TV, and I was about to turn and leave the counter when I thought to ask what internet plan I'd be having.

They told me I'd be on the $47.99 15M plan (they didn't even offer to change to the faster plan for the same price). I asked to be on the current $50 for 30M pricing, they told me it was all set up, and sent me on my way. The lady didn't say a word about a new modem.

This all happened at the Charter Commons office in St Louis.

I do wonder if, at some point in the future if I cancel Charter internet (as if they'll never not be the only game in town), they will demand that I return a nonexistent rental modem.

The_ANoN

@bellsouth.net

said by form1040 See Profile

I do wonder if, at some point in the future if I cancel Charter internet (as if they'll never not be the only game in town), they will demand that I return a nonexistent rental modem.
[/BQUOTE :

I canceled Charter internet after my promo pricing for the 30M plan was up.. I had been using my own modem (6120) for about a year.. They never asked me to return my own modem after I canceled..

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to KoRnGtL15

said by KoRnGtL15:

I will go ahead and wait it out.

Very smart decision as you know how deceitful or maybe just plain incompetent Charter can be when it comes to doing anything!

Are we still talking about the speed increase rumors you posted a while back from some person that had posted about it in a nVidia forum, or has some one actually "officially" said something and I missed it?
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Pasjmb1

join:2009-11-11
Burbank, CA
reply to KoRnGtL15

what about the Motorola SurfBoard SB6141
can we activate this modem on a already active 100/4 service
with a Motorola SurfBoard SB610?
I'm thinking of upgrading.