Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

[RI] Self Install Kit on active line

In my elderly father's(81 yrs) cottage he has old fashioned analog basic (no boxes). The cable account is in his name. I am presently using Clearwire at this location however the future of this is uncertain.

Walmart sells D-3 modems along with a self install kit . If i purchased such and connected such can i simply sign up for service in my own name using the quick connect kit ? A few years back i was told you need to set up a "roommate" account however this was confusing to my elderly 81 year old father who does NOT understand internet sharing cable TV lines. After this attempt i went with Clearwire which has worked fine.

However clearwire's future is uncertain and it's time to think about a backup plan. Since the "roommate account" was confusing if needed i would be willing to just bundle some kind of TV (at least basic) on my own separate account so a "roommate" account is bypassed and my elderly father would have his own account and i would have mine. Again i already have an active line this is a red tape problem of a separate account needed.

Since my elderly father is using old CRT "cable ready analog" type sets my own separate account will also allow me to add an HD STB to MY service and additional channels if i so choose / bundle offers. Is this doable or do i need to look at other options. Only other option is Verizon FiOS however a whole new line needs to be installed trying to work with the existing active cable line already in place.

NOTE: Please understand i will not be doing this right away. This is a research post in case clearwire goes away and i need to take action i want to know what options i have.

Anonguy

@cox.net

You can only do a roomate account for phone and Internet.

You can not do any video on a roomate account.

Sounds like you should just put all the service in your name.

If you want to add internet only you can do it as a roomate account. You can buy a modem at walmart but a call to Cox would be necessary to create the roomate account in their system.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE
reply to norbert26

maybe get your father to put you on the account or just transfer it into your name.

norbert26
Premium
Warwick, RI
reply to norbert26

OK thank you if i need more then internet i'll have him transfer the account over to me.

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:77
reply to ajwees41

said by ajwees41:

maybe get your father to put you on the account or just transfer it into your name.

You would not be able to do this to transfer an account. To transfer an account into somebody else's name or an assumption of account if you will the previous account needs to be closed so a new one can be established. Sales can set it up so that the process is as smooth as possible usually without having to swap any equipment.

norbert26
Premium
Warwick, RI

said by CoxTech1:

said by ajwees41:

You would not be able to do this to transfer an account. To transfer an account into somebody else's name or an assumption of account if you will the previous account needs to be closed so a new one can be established. Sales can set it up so that the process is as smooth as possible usually without having to swap any equipment.

I will only need internet when the time comes. It will simply need to be explained to him i need a "roommate" account added or else there will be no internet to share i will restrict the slow backup 1meg DSL to myself . Otherwise he needs to ADD internet for me . The roommate account would be easier for me to deal with cox activating the modem and any internet issues . At least i know what can and cannot be done and where i stand. If clearwire continues ISP service this may not be an issue.

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE
reply to CoxTech1

said by CoxTech1:

said by ajwees41:

»ww2.cox.com/residential/omaha/su···00000000

So why all the paperwork if sales candle it?

CoxTech1
VIP
Chesapeake, VA

This article describes a name change and not an "assumption of account" which is what I described. If the account holder's name is changing but they will still be the account holder the link you provided is applicable.

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

So what would need to be done to transfer the account to my name if it's currently under my dad's? all at the same address

CoxTech1
VIP
Chesapeake, VA

He would just disconnect his services and you could then schedule a new installation in your name. If you both call in at the same time sales can usually coordinate things where the process is seamless and move his equipment to your account if you're wanting to keep the same services.

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3

Are they allowed to transfer cable boxes? I had a problem with that when I moved a while ago.

CoxTech1
VIP
Chesapeake, VA

You should be able to move any equipment from the old account to the new in most cases. It helps if both account holders call in together to facilitate the process.