join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to Kara

Re: [Rant] Upsell instead of tech support

Click for full size
Here is a screenshot from the Comcast website.

There is a product called AnyPlay and I am getting the run around on ordering it.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

Ignore Kara, that is just another one of the clueless phone techs...

And here is another link giving its official introduction in August:

»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···anyplay/

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by ropeguru:

Ignore Kara, that is just another one of the clueless phone techs...

FWIW, I have been officially notified by the powers that be, that Comcast tier one CSRs are not clueless. I take it that you did not get that memo?
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy

Here are 2 "Hands on Review" of Comcast's Anyplay-

»www.tuaw.com/2012/02/04/hands-on···ur-ipad/

»www.translation-please.com/colum···mnid=400

Both say it is directed to iPad, but in reading other information, it is also available for Android.

Reviews sound positive.

Baffled as to why a Comcast Employee on the front line would not know about it or not have the curiosity to check it out. Just Google "comcast anyplay" brings up all sorts of articles in CNet, Washington Post, PC Mag, CNN and all the other big sources. And it has been discussed here before.

But then working in Customer Service for 5-6 different Products/Companies, during slow times in my Business, not totally surprised.

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by hortnut:

Baffled as to why a Comcast Employee on the front line would not know about it or not have the curiosity to check it out...

If a particular product or service is not explicitly part of the script, deviating from the script is a good way to join the ranks of the unemployed. CSRs are only there to intercept phone calls; actually providing service to the customer is (at best) secondary.

Being informed that "every employee is a sales person", and being told that "providing an illusion of service is more important than actually providing a service" (and having my performance reviews based on those statements), is why I pulled the rip cord on my corporate golden parachute many years ago.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

Streetlight

join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to IowaCowboy

This is an interesting thread because it might be a solution to a problem I'd like to solve.

First: This service is apparently not available everywhere. The problem others have in getting info/the service may be the script reader CSRs may be reading scripts fashioned for your system's services. No AnyPlay in your area, no info in the CSRs script.

Second, one of the reviews of AnyPlay made a big deal that the hardware could be had for a one-time $10 payment. Wrong. It's $10 per month, at least that's what Comcast's FAQ says. Sounds like the DTA situation: two for free when first available, now $2 per month per box.

Third: Apparently 10 receiver devices - iPads, Android tablets - can be registered for use with the required broadcast device, but only one at a time can be in use. It also will not play any recorded programs. Of course, this could change if Comcast's cloud DVR becomes available.

This may be a good solution for some folks compared to a whole house solution where multiple boxes make use of a DVR. It's probably cheaper, easier to install, uses a household's WiFi, not the Internet, but has the the limitations that only one user at a time can use it and won't play recorded programs. I'm somewhat confused about its ability to access On Demand content - something about telephone calls being required. However, it will allow the user to view all the channels subscribed to unlike DTAs, and serves up HD programming.

My wife complains she can't view the programs on a DTA in her sewing room that she can on our SD non-DVR box in the family room. One of the reviewers noted that he could get this to work with an Apple TV box. Not sure whether the Apple TV gets the signal directly from the AnyPlay box over WiFi or is rebroadcast to the Apple TV from an iPad or iPhone since an iPhone/iPad App is required. If the Apple TV can use the same App, maybe it's directly through WiFi. Also, Apple TV only has HDMI output, not the old fashioned analog audio-video output our satellite tube TVs have. It would be nice if a Roku box would do what I want since it has audio-viodeo out. I've been looking at Sling Box as a solution, but it may only use the Internet and not household WiFi and am not sure what receivers it can use besides a laptop, such as Roku. I also wonder if Comcast can or will prevent viewing on a TV set. Remember, CC has an App that allows downloading On Demand programming to a tablet. The original App allowed the tablet to be hooked up to a TV with the proper cable. Great!. An update blocked this. Folks here have said they did this to prevent purchased tablets from replacing set top boxes, at least for On Demand viewing.
--
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.

Sherlock Holmes in
The Boscombe Valley Mystery
A. C. Doyle
Strand Magazine, October 1891

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Then they should have a script that says "the new product and or service that you are inquiring about has not yet been launched in your area but I can take your e-mail address so we can inform you once its available".

One thing companies forget is that the company is overhead and the customers are profit. No customers, no profit. A triple play customer like me who forks over a boatload of cash should get better service than this. I should remind them DirecTV is just a phone call away and that if they want my money, they better serve their customers.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to NetFixer

said by NetFixer:

said by hortnut:

Baffled as to why a Comcast Employee on the front line would not know about it or not have the curiosity to check it out...

If a particular product or service is not explicitly part of the script, deviating from the script is a good way to join the ranks of the unemployed. CSRs are only there to intercept phone calls; actually providing service to the customer is (at best) secondary.

I have yet worked for any Company that was so rigid that the "script" was written in stone and one could not deviate. Tale that back, there was one. I left at lunch and never returned. So you are correct, they exist.

timtom

join:2012-11-15
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

Then they should have a script that says "the new product and or service that you are inquiring about has not yet been launched in your area but I can take your e-mail address so we can inform you once its available".

One thing companies forget is that the company is overhead and the customers are profit. No customers, no profit. A triple play customer like me who forks over a boatload of cash should get better service than this. I should remind them DirecTV is just a phone call away and that if they want my money, they better serve their customers.

please call directv do you want their phone number?

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..

said by timtom:

said by IowaCowboy:

please call directv do you want their phone number?

Better yet... »www.incrediblefta.com/specials/n···ers.html

F'em all.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to NetFixer

said by NetFixer:

...Being informed that "every employee is a sales person", and being told that "providing an illusion of service is more important than actually providing a service" (and having my performance reviews based on those statements), is why I pulled the rip cord on my corporate golden parachute many years ago.

Perhaps The Best Explanation of why Comcast's support just sucks (I'd offer more adjectives and adverbs, but I'd probably be banned from this site) follows:

As a Comcast customer, I have formed two opinions:

(1) The goal of the support person is not a satisfied customer.

(2) The goal of a support person is more revenue.

Every Comcast employee is a customer support person. When Comcast finally realizes that fundamental truth, then and only then will Comcast be able to survive outside of the government-sanctioned monopolies that Comcast currently enjoy.

I have said it before and I wll say it again --- every Comcast Tech who has been in my house has been very good to excellent. Each and every one of those Techs has shown to me that they are interested in me, the Comcast customer.

Why cannot the rest of Comcast show the same concern for their customers who, by the way, pay them each week?

Why are Comcast management so antagonistic towards the very people who provide their multi-billion revenue per year?

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to hortnut

said by hortnut:

I have yet worked for any Company that was so rigid that the "script" was written in stone and one could not deviate. Tale that back, there was one. I left at lunch and never returned. So you are correct, they exist.

There is more than one in existence.

It is sad, actually.

The goal of the Comcast scripts appears to be to get the customer off the phone or to buy more services, rather than solving the customer's problem.