spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jpren74

@verizon.net

Best universal remote

Just bought a new sharp 70 inch tv along with a Sony blu ray player and Bose cinemate series 2. I was wondering if anyone has any experience and recommendations for a good universal remote that will work with above but also is compatible with the fios Motorola 7232 dvr. I don't mind price but would rather not spend over $100 if possible unless there are no cheaper alternatives.

bt06437

join:2001-12-03
Carrollton, TX

I like universal's that can learn from another remote, in case the code you want is not there, or you want to modify some buttons, or functions.
I don't need a display, or color lcd.
Sony RMVLZ620

I've used their line for years.

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
kudos:1
reply to Jpren74

Get one of Logitech's Harmony remotes. Get one used on eBay if you have to in order to stay in your price range. You will NEVER regret it.

TimCampbell
Premium
join:2001-06-02
Chatham, ON
reply to Jpren74

I have used the Logitech Harmony 1 for several years and a few different TV and audio systems with no issues at all. I have even got it for friends and family to make their life easier. A little expensive, but can be configured to do several different scenarios (watch TV, DVD, listen to stereo, etc.)

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30
reply to Jpren74

+1 on the Harmony remotes.

I've had a lot of universal remotes over the years, but not one has come close the the functionality and simplicity of use of the Harmony.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Rwatson

join:2001-04-01
North Brunswick, NJ
reply to Jpren74

Another +1 on Harmony. The initial setup can sometimes be a pain, but once you get it setup it's the best!!!

bsangs

join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ
reply to Jpren74

Another vote for Harmony. They only universal remote(s) we've used for the last 10 years or so. Love them.

HenryFarpolo
Premium
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

Harmony has my vote also. I use the Harmony One. Logitech recently came out with the Harmony Touch, so the price for the Harmony One has dropped quite a bit. As Knarf mentions, eBay is an option. You can find used, also refurbs are selling for $99.

I personally like the One better than the Touch, but some of the new users swear by the Touch. Also a lot more $$ for the Touch.

metalunna

join:2003-06-16
Clifton, NJ

I've been using Harmony remotes for years and love them.I even have wife approval..as stated above initial setup is sometimes a pain, since they are so customizable. You will find yourself tweaking it a few times (adding a button here- mapping a button there)

One thing to be aware of when buying off eBay:

Logitech disables remotes that have been marked as defective...therefore you cannot update them or customize them..example

My harmony 1 had a bulging battery..I called support and they sent me a brand new remote (not just the battery)...and told me to just throw the old remote away when the new one came.

When I activated the new remote, the old one still worked, but I could not update it or make changes to it..(yeah..I thought I could get away with it)

In any event..I could easily see some people putting up their old remotes on eBay..and once you try to use it, you get a "no.no.no" message.

Just something to think about....
For me, a new remote is worth the money...
You get nice fresh buttons....and you don't have to worry about where its been"

knarf829

join:2007-06-02

said by metalunna:

One thing to be aware of when buying off eBay:

I only suggested eBay because I was suggesting a product outside of the OP's stated price range. I agree that nothing beats a fresh never-stuck-in-the-pants-to-prevent-misplacing remote control.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to Jpren74

I have the Harmony remote, excellent for what I use it for.
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

Steve3

join:2010-01-28
Springfield, NJ

I have 2 Harmony One remotes. They are great. I recommend it.

jcondon

join:2000-05-27
Fishkill, NY
reply to Jpren74

I have the 880 which I had a lot of issues with. That said I don't think there is anything under $500 that is as easy to use or has as many features.

Logitech is selling off the Harmony line of remotes. I hope whoever buys them improves the line.

»www.engadget.com/2013/01/23/logi···remotes/

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Jpren74

+1 on the Harmony, particularly the Touch. A couple of years ago, my wife got one for me (which really ended up working out for both of us) because once I set it up, she no longer needed me to juggle the remotes if she wants to watch a DVD, Roku, TV etc.

robjlevin

join:2002-10-30
Millington, NJ
reply to jcondon

Interesting. I hadn't read that news.

FWIW, I too have an 880 but have never had any issue with it at all. It's 5 years old and just works.

jcondon

join:2000-05-27
Fishkill, NY

I had a ton of charging issues. The original cradles sucked. I believe later they put a magnet in the cradle (or was it the remote) to help with charging issues.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Jpren74

I used at least a dozen universal remotes before the Harmony One came out. All the remotes were lacking. But when the Harmony One came out, that was finally the one remote to rule them all for me. I use several of them now. The combination of hard buttons and a touch screen is the perfect combination.

My only real complaint with it is that there is a 15 device limit. So in my main viewing area I can't have it replace the remotes of all my devices. But in my secondary and tertiary viewing locations I have 15 or fewer devices so there are no issues at those locations.

Gerryex

join:2006-05-19
Land O Lakes, FL
reply to Jpren74

I've had Harmony remotes since the 880 and now the One and they both have been great. I do think that once Logitech took them over their designs improved so that the One is better than the 880 was. The 880 suffered from poor contact with its charging base but the One's charging base was redesigned and works just fine. The support also got better under Logitech so I hope whoever buys Harmony maintains that good level of support!

Gerry

kennye

join:2009-02-05
Carrollton, TX

Get the rechargeable version. I have a version that requires battery replacement. Seems the batteries need to be replaced frequently

metalunna

join:2003-06-16
Clifton, NJ
reply to jcondon

That article broke my heart..I went right into denial. Then fear. My first thought was, how the heck am I supposed to turn my TV and receiver on with 2 remotes?

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Gerryex

said by Gerryex:

I've had Harmony remotes since the 880 and now the One and they both have been great. I do think that once Logitech took them over their designs improved so that the One is better than the 880 was. The 880 suffered from poor contact with its charging base but the One's charging base was redesigned and works just fine. The support also got better under Logitech so I hope whoever buys Harmony maintains that good level of support!

Gerry

Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, Logitech recently announced that they are selling the Harmony line.

»news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-575655···quarter/

nyrmetros

join:2008-02-01
Oakland Gardens, NY
reply to Jpren74

How many different models of the logitech harmony remote are there? I need one that can operate 6 or 7 devices and has easy to read buttons for a person with limited eyesight.... Any suggestions?