spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gp1954

join:2013-01-26

[KS] Cisco DIPC 3010 - Orange/yellow/amber lights (not green)

Hi, I am a newbie to the forum, and although I understand a little about computers, I know very little about cable modems.

I am trying to have a new Cisco DIPC 3010 installed in Topeka, KS (Premiere service). After I register the modem by calling Cox, it goes online but the lights are yellow (or orange/amber, depending on how you want to desctibe them...). I read that this indicates that the modem is not doing channel bonding. I called Cox and the tech on the phone had no idea what I was talking about and could not help. The modem performance is very poor right now.

My question is, how do I get the modem to work in channel bonding mode?

Thank you for your help!

ikyuaoki

join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Re: [KS] Cisco DIPC 3010 - Orange/yellow/amber lights (not green

Cisco is not my tech tool. I uses the motorola 6xxx as docsis 3.0 that gives me better visual indicate lights. my modem gives me a status. the downstream light is blue that means the bonding channel is enabled.

sorry to hear that you have problems with Cisco issues.

Anonguy

@cox.net

If you are not bonding that means there are signal quality/level issues.

What are your levels from »192.168.100.1

You will likely need a tech out to correct them!

gp1954

1 edit

Here is what I can see. I already had two visits from a technician, they found that the signal was good and strong, they still decided to replace most of the cables outside (except for the drop which they will replace tomorrow). Somehow I doubt that the cables are the problem.

How do I get someone knowledgeable to look into this issue? When I call tech support, or I talk to the level 1 technician that comes to look at the cables, they have no idea what I am talking about....

Thanks!

Hoss
Sauters A Walrus

join:2000-10-05
Tulsa, OK

said by gp1954:

Here is what I can see. I already had two visits from a technician, they found that the signal was good and strong, they still decided to replace most of the cables outside (except for the drop which they will replace tomorrow). Somehow I doubt that the cables are the problem.

How do I get someone knowledgeable to look into this issue? When I call tech support, or I talk to the level 1 technician that comes to look at the cables, they have no idea what I am talking about....

Thanks!

That sure looks like 8 channel bonding to me...

Anonguy

@cox.net
reply to gp1954

As Hoss said that looks fine.

You don't have a problem.

You probably just don't have upstream bonding in your area yet probably. So you have 1 amber light.

gp1954

Mmm. Sorry for my ignorance, but I thought that the power level being zero in 3 of the four channels meant that there was no bonding? Is that for upstream only?

The funny thing is, only green light (indicating bonding) is for the US, while the DS light is yellow....

Thanks!

Anonguy

@cox.net

Correct the 3 zeros in the upstream section means there is no upstream bonding.

That just means Cox has not turned it on.

You are bonding 8 downstreams with great levels!

Anonguy

@cox.net
reply to Anonguy

Also edit your pic to remove your MAC address... That should not be public!

gp1954

reply to Anonguy

OK, I appreciate the information. However, I must say that the performance of the modem so far is less than stellar. The main problem is that download speed varies from an acceptable 28Mbps to suddenly something like 5Mbps. Doing a speedtest I can see that it jumps up and down a lot. When I stream content, I often run into buffering problems.

I am attaching an example of what I am talking about

Do you have any idea how I can address this issue? It did not use to be like this, I used to have a sustained high rate and never had problems with streaming content until a few weeks ago.

Also, what do I make of the fact that the upload light on the modem is yellow, indicating (apparently) no channel bonding?
Thank you for all your help!

gp1954

1 edit

Brief update: the lights are now all green. I suppose that it may take a few hours for the channel bonding status to be reflected in the lights...? I am just trying to guess. Nothing else changed, but all the lights are now green, as they should be.

Performance, though, remains poor, as described above. This test was done just a few minutes ago: **download at 4 Mbps..!** I guess that is a different issue from the reason I opened this thread, but if anyone has any hint, all suggestions are welcome.

Thank you all for your help!

gp1954

reply to Anonguy

said by Anonguy :

Also edit your pic to remove your MAC address... That should not be public!

Sorry, I fixed it. Thanks for the tip!

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

do you have a router connected to this modem, if so try bypassing and see what happens

DDR329

@cox.net
reply to gp1954

There are two ways the lights would have changed.
1 - the modem was unplugged then plugged back in and the modem picked up the channels should be bonded and the light turned green

2 - the firmware on the modem was not up to date and a new firmware was sent automatically. this would have reset the modem and again the light turned green.

gp1954

said by DDR329 :

There are two ways the lights would have changed.
1 - the modem was unplugged then plugged back in and the modem picked up the channels should be bonded and the light turned green

2 - the firmware on the modem was not up to date and a new firmware was sent automatically. this would have reset the modem and again the light turned green.

I was thinking something along the same line. It happened while I was gone, so it is certainly not #1. And, after comparing a screenshot that I had before (with yellow lights) and the current setup screen, I can confirm that the firmware is different!

gp1954

reply to m8trix

said by m8trix:

do you have a router connected to this modem, if so try bypassing and see what happens

Thank you for the suggestions, I tried that but the results do not change. Very inconsistent performance, within the same five minutes I can go from over 30 Mbps to 1.5, then to 23, etc.....