Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

esteeze

join:2013-01-22
Birmingham, AL
reply to Forosnai

Re: RG unresponsive each morning

I guess I'm kind of irritated then... tech dude was here for a couple of hours, and it seems like he should have been aware/fixed that issue.

I have been on the fence with UVerse service/support for the past few weeks with the global DHCP issue, hardware issue with my RG (which was replaced), and now the line problem. They were here, were aware of the line problem, and didn't fix it. I think I'm going to look into Charter, although, who knows if it will be any better.

BTW: Thanks for all the feedback.

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2
reply to esteeze

AM interference will almost always block out the entire Frequency from loading any bits. That dip there is classic bridge tap somewhere between the NID and the RG and should never be there on a full tech installation of VDSL2 Uverse.

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4
reply to esteeze

Nope

esteeze

Birmingham, AL
reply to Paralel

A poster in the AT&T forum suggested that the first dip may be AM radio interference, which makes a lot of sense given that we live on top of a mountain with a lot of radio transmission/repeater towers. I would have thought the cable would have been shielded against that stuff, though.

Paralel

Michigan, US
reply to esteeze

I'm still suspicious of that first dip in your bitloading graph. Still looks like a possible bridge tap. Does the wire go from the pole, right into your NID, into a gel-filled protector, then right from the protector to the jack where you plug in your gateway? You want to make sure you don't have any other jacks inside your residence connected to the jack your gateway plugs in, otherwise the additional jacks can act as an internal bridge tap on your line.

esteeze

Birmingham, AL
reply to waver168

Click for full size
Click for full size
3801 is going great; much more stable than the 3800.

Had techs out looking at the line today; they ended up replacing some hardware on the telephone pole.

Bitloading and specs are better (bitloading doesn't seem that much better at first glance, but line rate specs are about 2Mbps better)

waver168

join:2005-04-08
Fremont, CA
reply to esteeze

esteeze,
any update if your 3801 is still running good?
I just swapped out a 3801, my rate/profile hardly change at all, will see if anything improves the next few days.

Paralel

Michigan, US
reply to esteeze

I would say, given your latest bitloading graph, very little doubt, you have a problem with your line. That sort of "wave" pattern is likely a bridge tap. They need to remove it, otherwise your stats will never be what they should be and you will most likely still have trouble. At 89.9% bits used, you're just barely under the line for the "likely to have little to no trouble" threshold.

esteeze

Birmingham, AL
reply to esteeze

Click for full size
Click for full size
Have the new 3801 in place now. Initial profile and bitloading looks better. Hopefully, it will be more stable.

Tech007
Premium
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
reply to waver168

6db is the min, if its lower than 6db than you will experience problems if its over 6db it is considered within specs(Not saying that its right but testing will show passing)

think of it as a pipe a pipe that is only 6in can only let so much signal in but a pipe that is 20in has a lot of room for signal the greater the nosie margin the better your signal so a low noise margin could be too high a speed for how far your distance is from central office or vrad or could be interference from other signals or could be bad wiring or outside drop wire etc..

waver168

Fremont, CA
reply to esteeze

esteeze,
I called up techsupport this morning, the guy claims 6db is the floor for noise margin(what?!), but he ran the line test and did say something is not right and is sending a guy over to see where the noise is coming from. Not sure if I'll get a new RG....

esteeze

Birmingham, AL
reply to waver168

waver168, it was a pretty straightforward call to AT&T to get a replacement router sent. No complaining needed. I just told them the recent history of having to reboot the gateway each morning. I think if you call and tell them that, you'll have success in getting a replacement one sent to you.

Also, I would call on a weekend or at odd hours if you can help it; avoid calling in the evenings. I think you will have less of a wait time. Seems like weekday evenings are the busiest times.

Good luck! I'll send feedback on how my the new gateway helps me.

Paralel

Michigan, US
reply to esteeze

It's hard to say, given your noise margin, I'd expect your bitloading graph to look far worse than that, so it could easily be the RG.

waver168

Fremont, CA

1 edit
reply to esteeze

Click for full size
Click for full size
God this sounds awfully like mine. I had my u-verse installed last Wednesday, UV realtime claim I'm 1100 ft away but my noise margin is low. There was one long outage the next day (Thursday) when everything went out ~5pm (TV/phone/internet), they came back within an hour or so but then TV is very jerky (and every 5 mins it will say lost TV connection), I power cycle the RG then it was fine. Friday morning mom claims TV is jerky again I looked in RG log and there's one "broadband connection lost" around 5am, I power cycle the RG again then TV was ok. Saturday morning mom complained same jerky thing again and I then notice my internet is also out, I checked my asus router (dmzplus behind RG) and it didn't get a proper IP for some reason and I can't login to the RG, power cycle the RG again and it's been ok so far till today.

Esteeze: can you comment how easy was it to call in and complain and get the 3801? I am wondering if I should do something with 1100 and only get 36 max rate. I also just got a 3800HGV from the new install. If it keeps on like that I think I'll have to switch to comcast (which just became avail after my u-verse install .... )

Tech007
Premium
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL
reply to esteeze

If your max rate isnt higher when you get the new rg defintely call or chat back in because like everyone else said you could have an issue with the actual vrad port or anything in between that could be lowering your rate

esteeze

Birmingham, AL
reply to esteeze

BTW... thanks for the quick replies/suggestions.

esteeze

Birmingham, AL
reply to esteeze

Called tech support; wow, just like that a new 3801 RG is on it's way to me. I almost wondered if I had called a different company's tech support line.

Will install the new RG when it arrives, and go from there.

Paralel

Michigan, US
reply to esteeze

Holy moley! If you are only 1000 ft from the VRAD, you have some extremely serious issues with your line to only get a max rate of less than 40,000. I agree with UT, not only should you get a new gateway, you need a prem tech. to go from gateway to NID to look for issues, as well as get I&R out there and go through your line from your NID to the VRAD with a fine tooth comb and figure out where the problems are. Something is majorly wrong between you and the VRAD for those kinds of numbers.

To give you an idea of how low your max rate is, I sync at more than 7000 higher than that, and I'm twice the distance you are from the VRAD, and my rate isn't considered all that good even for my distance. I'm honestly amazed your service has apparently worked as well as it has until just recently with what must be monumental faults on your line.

UverseTech

join:2012-08-04
reply to esteeze

I think your 3800 ( should never be used any longer) is going out because you are too close to the connection box for these numbers. Call Tier2 and tell them to send a tech and also tell them you are not going to set on the phone for hours and do all of those ridiculous tests for a piece of refurbished equipment that should have been removed from circulation in 2010. Their # is 866-329-2662 and let them know you want a new 3801 for your trouble.

esteeze

Birmingham, AL

Click for full size
I'm not sure if this is related to the past week's outage problems, but each morning the past few days I have found my residential gateway (RG) has been essentially unresponsive with all services (TV, Internet, and phone) down. Works great all evening, then some gremlins apparently come in during the early morning hours.

Also, I suspect there is a 2nd issue in that the line profile is non-optimal (per UV Realtime data below).

It will be interesting to see what Customer Care has to say.