how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cshore

@bell.ca

[Beginner] antivirus

Hi
Is it advisable to install antivirus on a mac ? or do macs still get away without it ? and if needed whats recommended

Thanks in advance

Alberto

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
Reviews:
·CableOne

1 recommendation

It seems that there are 2 schools of thought. Some run an AV, some don't. I run Sophos Free on both of my iMacs. I want to be safe and covered just in case. It updates by itself in the background and runs great:

»www.sophos.com/en-us/products/fr···ion.aspx

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand
reply to cshore

said by cshore :

. . . whats recommended

I sometimes use ClamXav. It uses the very popular ClamAV open source antivirus engine as a back end and has the ability to detect both Windows and Mac threats.

--
January is National Oatmeal Month

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
reply to cshore

I only run AV (Intego X6, the 2013 version sucks) on machines I use for business and only so that I don't forward any infected attachments to Windows users. Otherwise I just turn off Java runtime in my browsers and use some common sense.

RogueMonk
Premium
join:2003-02-11
Stoney Creek, ON
kudos:1
reply to cshore

said by cshore :

Hi
Is it advisable to install antivirus on a mac ? or do macs still get away without it ? and if needed whats recommended

Thanks in advance

Alberto

Not needed...at all.
--
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliott

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
reply to cshore

said by cshore :

Hi

Thanks in advance

Alberto

As long as you keep you Mac up to day with patches - especially third party stuff like Java and Flash (known offenders) and make sure your basic perimiter defense is in place (home router SPI firewall with MINIMAL or NO ports open)
then
you will be safe without running AV.

I have never been a fan of free AV products (with the exceptions of MSE) on Windows based platforms. Its hit or miss in that arena.

Malware authors target the masses and that means Microsoft products - and now Android to some extent. The vulerabilities they target are usually add-ons like flash or java or web browser/email bugs. The main reason these are so successful on Microsoft platforms it the lack of Kernel security - actually the Windows GUI runs at the same priority as the internals so its actually pretty easy to control a Windows machine.

Unix and Linux varients (IOS is UNIX) have been harder to crack due to the natural layering of the system. Even if a piece of malware can run due to a Java exploit - it still runs in that users space and will have a hard time getting to a place where it can do damage.

Enjoy the power of your new MAC - dont bog it down with un-needed spoftware
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

reply to cshore

Haven't ran an av for over a decade. You'll be fine.

cshore

@bell.ca

Thank you all for the replies. It looks like no AV is the way to go

kerriskandie

join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY
reply to cshore

I agree..
NEVER had a Viri, not since Mac OS 8 days.....

I too occasionally run ( the free) ClamXav...just for peace of mind

Sebehk
United States Navy Retired, 1993-2013
Premium
join:2002-02-09
Pueblo, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Mike

said by Mike:

Haven't ran an av for over a decade. You'll be fine.

Ditto.

Last time I used one was around 2004. Paid for McAfee Virex. After a year of no detection of malware and the expiration of McAfee "support", they wanted me to pay full price for another year of "support". I said good-bye to anti-virus software.

The really last time I ever got a virus was around 1998, the Sevendust virus. After inoculation, never again an infection on the various Macs I have own through the years.

--->Robert
8-)
--
Warning: This message is protected by ROT-26 encryption. Permission is required to decrypt, reverse engineer, read silently, read aloud, print, copy, post, email, broadcast, save, store, backup or delete.