how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

watts3000

join:2002-01-21

1 edit

working with 2 post 42u rack

Guys I use one of my spare bedrooms as an office/lab recently I added a 42u two post network rack. I have two shelves attached the bottom shelf holds my network printer and the other holds my voip adapter and a few other small 8 port Trendnet switches. I have about 7 u's of switches and routers that I'm playing around with two routers are mounted I plan to mount the rest of the gear early next week. The problem I'm having is working with the rack it seems very tough to get screws to go into the frame if the screws are not perfectly straight when screwing them in. The rack is using the below screws also these screws are hard to find I'm going to have to go to a specialty supply store in order to purchase them the link below shows the screw I'm speaking of. If you guys use any other screws that are easier to find by that I mean your local Lowes or Homedepot please let me know. Also I want to weight the rack down I can't bolt it to the floor it seems pretty solid so far since I do have my network printer sitting on a lower tray however if you were going to add extra weight without bolting what would you suggest. Also what do you guys think about the problems I'm having putting the screws in do you think I just have bad quality screws.

»www.fastenal.com/web/products/de···=0146978

»www.ebay.com/itm/1000-CPI-406050···bdeecb65

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium
join:2003-09-18
Lard
kudos:2
Double check which size the rack actually uses. Try a 10-32 x 3/4 pan head phillips. You shouldn't have to fight them to go in. Use a standard screwdriver by hand at first.

You should be able to find both standard 12-24 and 10-32 panheads at the hardware store. Finding the larger truss heads locally may be a problem. You shouldn't need much more in length than 5/8 to 3/4 inch long.
--
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1
reply to watts3000
10-32 UNF is your standard size. You might want to pick up a tap and run it through to clean the threads. I have run into some racks where the threads were poor.

I have run into some screws that had chrome plating on the threads that would break loose and jam up. The screws that came with Nortel switches were notorious for that. Also putting a little bit of lube on the threads helps.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

watts3000

reply to watts3000
I must ask is it ok to use a 10-32 by 3/4 the rack maker told me to use 12-24? My main concern is that all the equipment is properly secured.

LLigetfa

Fort Frances, ON
If you are sure it uses 12-24 then no way will 10-32 work. They are not anywhere close to be interchangeable.

I have only seen 12-24 screws ship with some gear but have yet to actually have a rack that can take them. A 12-24 is a much coarser thread and would not even start in a 10-32 hole so if you can run them in more than a turn, then you have some QC issues. I would get a 12-24 tap and run it through the holes to make sure the problem isn't the holes.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to watts3000
Ran into this issue myself when I set up my rack. What I did :

a) Measure the diameter of the holes with a ruler.

b) goto the local hardware store and find every screw that was in around that diameter, pick up a couple for testing.

c) go back home and test with each type and see what was the easiest to put in. Whatever fits best go back and
pick up in bulk.

As others have said, you shouldn't have to force it excessively to get the screw to go in, and it definately
should be going in straight.

As to weighting it down, put your heaviest gear near the bottom, or load the gear from the bottom up. If I
were to resetup my rack today, I'd likely do it this way rather than top down.

My 00000010bits

Regards

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to watts3000
Some 2 post telco racks don't have pre-tapped holes... Standard for those would be 12-24, often with a 5/16" hex head on them.

»www.fastenal.com/web/products/de···ku=27630

If the holes are tapped, then 10-32 is the most common, in my experience, as well...

Can you get a picture of the rail, showing the holes?

watts3000

2 edits
HELLFIRE after measuring the diameter I found this bolt that works with the rack. I will also check out the 12-24 x 3/4 I'm going to be looking for a bulk purchase Homedepot did not have the ones I purchased in bulk. Also I must ask is there any benefit to using a shorter screw for example is the shorter one stronger?

»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R···VcmejLUU

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to watts3000
Racks are standardized on two "US standard" sizes (#12-24 and #10-32) and two "metric" sizes (M5 and M6) -- 'tho I've not seen any M5's.

»www.server-racks.com/rack-screws···-m6.html
»www.stayonline.com/rack-cage-nuts.aspx <--- that's where I get 'em (30min drive for me)

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to watts3000
As others have already pointed out, 10-32 and 12-24 are the two most common mounting screws used in comm racks (but I have also run across some that used 1/4-20). One problem that I frequently ran into was that often a rack would be painted after the mounting holes had been tapped, and that would sometimes interfere with a first time mount using a given set of holes. I always kept a package of self tapping screws in each of those sizes for use in such a situation. The self tapping screws would easily clean out the baked on paint (and they also sometimes helped when I would have to mount something in an old rack that had mangled/cross threaded holes).
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to LLigetfa
said by LLigetfa:

I would get a 12-24 tap and run it through the holes to make sure the problem isn't the holes.

Don't use a tap. Use a thread chaser of the appropriate size.

jeffmoss26

join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH
reply to watts3000
In my experience:
10/32 - sound and video racks
12/24 or metric - data racks and server cabinets

HELLFIRE
Premium
reply to watts3000
@watts3000
I got mine with some length to them, but not excessive. Maybe 1.5cm / 0.75" in length.

@cramer
Wonder what I got then, as I ended up getting 8-32x5/8ths for my rack

Regards

jeffmoss26

join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH
reply to watts3000
8/32? That's the size a 4 square electrical box uses for a cover plate...

LLigetfa

Fort Frances, ON
reply to jeffmoss26
said by jeffmoss26:

In my experience:
10/32 - sound and video racks
12/24 or metric - data racks and server cabinets

The only place I've ever seen 12-24 are the screws that HP ships with their switches. I don't have a single rack anywhere that can take them.

Even my racks that have no threaded holes, came with cage nuts that take a 10-32 screw. Maybe they do things different in Canada.

I like using the 10-32 screws that Dell supplies with their servers. They have a large flat head and the threads are of good quality.
--

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
Our wall-mount racks (wiring closet) are 12-24. Our pre-drilled "shit" rack (odd sized in every direction) is 10-32. 98% of my cage nuts are 10-32 (because that's what I bought), and the other 2% are 12-24... for the "really heavy" stuff.

HELLFIRE
Premium
reply to jeffmoss26
...don't ask me. They fit, and they work. About all I ask

Regards

watts3000

Guys thanks for all the help everything is going smooth now after reading all of the feed back

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
reply to watts3000
battery backup units (rack version) are good for weight at the bottom of the rack.

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL
reply to watts3000
I'm a bit late on this one, but yes there are 12-24 racks out there, they are mostly old telecom racks, and they drive me crazy when I run into one. That said, the rack screws I prefer are from Middle Atlantic. »www.middleatlantic.com/rackac/ha···#premium Look near the bottom for the 12-24 screws, unfortunately not many options there.