VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL
reply to Erietech

Re: Crawl Space Insulation

Click for full size
Not the best quality of images. I assume you are referring to the white foam in the background. Since it appears someone roofed over the previous exterior of the house you don't have cavities between studs to put any type of fiberglass insulation up against the habitable area of the house. Easiest thing to do would be to insulate between the rafters of the right side of the picture and leave the existing alone.

It appears someone tried to attach insulation directly to the previous exterior of the house, there in the foreground? That is what you don't want to do. Fiberglass insulation gets its insulating properties from trapping air, smashing it down defeats the purpose. Which is why you wouldn't want to remove that foam and then reinstall it back on top of fiberglass, potentially squashing the fiberglass down. Also note the paper backing is the vapor barrier, you want to install that face towards the interior conditioned space.

edit: lightened the contrast on the photo

Erietech

join:2012-02-23
Erie, PA

Ok another question our house does not have soffits, how far do I put the insulation near the overhang?
»imgur.com/GYRY5g5

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
Gainesville, FL

In the soffit areas go below the existing insulation. Above the bedroom area would ideally be insulated as well. Be a difficult area to put batts in, perhaps blown in cellulose.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to Erietech

said by Erietech:

Ok another question our house does not have soffits, how far do I put the insulation near the overhang?
»imgur.com/GYRY5g5

I don't understand. It looks like you drew a pic with soffits and overhang but say there aren't any. Does your roof have an overhang?

jkj860
The Final Frontier

join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN
reply to Erietech

said by Erietech:

»imgur.com/GYRY5g5

I'm guessing you mean your soffits are not vented. Either way, just insulate up to where the first floor exterior wall meets.
--
I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant. Nixon

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
Gainesville, FL

That's the way I read into it as well, no vents.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to VioletVenom

said by VioletVenom:

In the soffit areas go below the existing insulation.

OK -- I don't understand this recommendation then. What are you suggesting based on your assumption?

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
Gainesville, FL

Reference Erietech's last illustration where he denotes "crawl space insulation". The two lines he drew for that insulation and rafter insulation bisect in a soffit area. I suggested taking his rafter insulation below the top of the crawl space insulation into the soffit area.

If he had soffit vents he would want to install insulation channels first before insulating. No vents so moot point, filling in any infiltration area with insulation is ideal.

Expand your moderator at work