uniqs
share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Apple's Cook holds Town Mtg for staff - lays out future

Cook discusses Apple financial state; competitors; and the future in his Town Mtg.

»9to5mac.com/2013/01/26/apples-to···il-more/

According to multiple people in attendance at the meeting, Cook rallied his staff by discussing Apple’s latest earnings, its competition, and its future.

Apple Stock, Earnings:
Employee Perks:
Operations, Supply Chain, and Mac Sales:
Retail:
Android versus iOS:
China:
Wrap-Up:

Cook’s meeting with employees seemed to have reaffirmed Apple’s strength as the leading technology company to its employees. The common theme recognized by Apple employees is the immense strength, experience, and foresight of Apple’s management team. More than ever, employees are witnessing how much their CEO and management cares about them and both the near-term and long-term success of Apple on a global scale.

Read the linked article for details on each of the subjects above.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Brendan
Warr Guitar is here

join:2000-07-14
Littleton, CO
I think Apple really needs to focus on their professional and prosumer customers, again. I.E., those of us who purchase the Mac Pro product, who want a powerful desktop Mac that we can upgrade (without removing the screen). If they really tried and put some resources into this, it would pay dividends.
--
"Heaven is having an American salary, a Chinese cook, an English house, and a Japanese wife. Hell is having a Chinese salary, an English cook, a Japanese house, and an American wife." -- James H. Kabbler III

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
there are still people out there wanting a desktop formated imac that uses desktop parts. aka the "headless imac"

Which I think would be a good idea along with an updated Mac Pro.

I think the reason the Mac Pro has seen no update is the iDevices are a huge cash cow now. I would not be surprised if the percent of sale price that is profit is higher on ipads/phones/pods, imacs, mac books. Is well above that of the Pro.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

The Mac Pro is a problem.

It's supposed to be overkill.

It had 8 cores in two processors when it was dual core or suck it.

Hard drives suck (fusion raid anyone?)
Video cards are there (gtx 680s / quadro)
It's heavy (aluminum is expensive)

Simply cheaper to cluster 10.7 minis together.

The market is dead. Apple Toy Company doesn't care about it anymore.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
I have a 2006 MP and would get a new one if I knew Apple wouldn't obsolete in in 5 or 6 years. The main reason I purchased it was that I expected it to have a 10 year latest OS shelf life like my Mac Plus and Sawtooth had through upgrades. No way I'm buying a $5K plus machine (sans display) to only use it 5-6 years.

kerriskandie

join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY
reply to Kearnstd
MacMini= headless Imac.......no?????

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Laptop parts and no discrete graphics.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16
So actually you want a MiniMacPro... since the iMac is made with laptop parts too.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to skeechan
said by skeechan:

I have a 2006 MP and would get a new one if I knew Apple wouldn't obsolete in in 5 or 6 years. The main reason I purchased it was that I expected it to have a 10 year latest OS shelf life like my Mac Plus and Sawtooth had through upgrades. No way I'm buying a $5K plus machine (sans display) to only use it 5-6 years.

This. I have a MP 1.1 that still performs great for my needs. It's super annoying that I can't install Mountain Lion.

I want Mountain Lion so I can get iMessages on my desktop, something I was able to do until they ended the beta.

I would probably just buy a mini and use that, but I need to be able to run two 30" DVI Apple Cinema Displays. I think I have to wait until there are dual thunderbolt ports.

I think a better solution for me is to go hackintosh.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to DrDrew
My 27" iMac uses a desktop processor (Core i7-3770), but SO-DIMM and laptop graphics (680MX).

What I want is a Mac Pro that won't be arbitrarily obsoleted.

KeepOnRockin
Music Lover Forever
Premium
join:2002-11-08
Beaverton, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to djrobx
said by djrobx:

said by skeechan:

This. I have a MP 1.1 that still performs great for my needs. It's super annoying that I can't install Mountain Lion.

I want Mountain Lion so I can get iMessages on my desktop, something I was able to do until they ended the beta.

I would probably just buy a mini and use that, but I need to be able to run two 30" DVI Apple Cinema Displays. I think I have to wait until there are dual thunderbolt ports.

I think a better solution for me is to go hackintosh.

FWIW, I installed DP1 of Mountain Lion on my 2006 MP with minimal effort. I wish Apple would release the final version of Mountain Lion for the 2006 Pro.

I know it can be run with some modifications and a different bootloader, however Apple doesn't officially support that.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
As I have mentioned before, it is sad that we get better 64 bit support from Microsoft than Apple.