spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aerotive

join:2005-04-23
Fayetteville, AR

switching to DSL; undo cable co changes to inside wiring?

For the past 5 or 6 years we've had service from the local cable company, phone/Internet/video. The cable modem was wired to the phone lines so we could use regular phones throughout the house. What will need to be done to the inside wiring to make it compatible with DSL, if anything? Would the cable co have also made changes to at&t box on the outside of the house, or inside only?

We're also going cell phone only, so just need to make it work with the one phone jack where we'll put the DSL modem.

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by aerotive:

For the past 5 or 6 years we've had service from the local cable company, phone/Internet/video. The cable modem was wired to the phone lines so we could use regular phones throughout the house. What will need to be done to the inside wiring to make it compatible with DSL, if anything? Would the cable co have also made changes to at&t box on the outside of the house, or inside only?

We're also going cell phone only, so just need to make it work with the one phone jack where we'll put the DSL modem.

The best thing to do would be to leave the rest of the telco jacks disconnected from the NID (the cable co tech should have disconnected your inside wiring at the NID), and run a new dedicated (homerun) cat5 connection from the NID to a dedicated jack where you will connect the modem (I have always done that for DSL connections). That will eliminate the possibility that the in-house wiring might act as a bridge tap and lower your DSL signal quality.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

Austinloop

join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX
kudos:1

To follow on with what NetFixer said, the Cat 5, or Cat 3 homerun for the modem also gets rid of the possibility that your existing IW maybe very old and not of twisted pair and may also have some faults on the existing IW which will impact your DSL throughput.

I say Cat 5, or Cat 3, because if it is a short run, (mine is like 15 feet) it won't make a noticeable difference. In fact, I am still using the same Cat 3 I used for DSL with my U-Verse and I have a 25 meg profile .7 miles from the VRAD. YMMV

aerotive

join:2005-04-23
Fayetteville, AR
reply to aerotive

Thanks, ended up being a nonissue as the tech said he just had to rewire a bit in the AT&T box on the side of the house. Service working well so far.