spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Planethill

join:2013-01-27
Patterson, NY

[Speed] Should I upgrade my SB6121 to the SB6141?

Hey All,

I have Comcast Blast (50/10) in my area and am using a SB6121. I have four bonded download channels & two up. I am getting advertised speeds and generally happy with my service. However being a geek who wants the latest toys, I am considering upgrading to the 6141.

Would I see any visible change upgrading to the SB6141? My gut tells me that I would not at my speed tier and the only thing I would gain is being "future ready" in case they change things down the road.

Thoughts?

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4

A waste of money if things are working fine now.
plenty of other techy/computer toys in the sub $100 if you really need to shop/buy something.
and plenty of good causes could use a bump if that would work for you.

Planethill

Patterson, NY

quote:
A waste of money if things are working fine now.
That's what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
reply to Planethill

said by Planethill:

My gut tells me that I would not at my speed tier...

That funny feeling in your gut that you get whenever you get the urge to say "Here Mike, hold my beer...hey everybody, watch this" is nature's way of protecting you from yourself. Trust your gut, it knows.

OTOH, if your budget can justify buying a spare modem, that is always a good idea.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

motoracer

join:2003-09-15
united state
reply to Planethill

Agreed, if everything is working well and you're getting the advertised speeds, no need to upgrade.

mb

join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ
reply to Planethill

When I upgraded from the SB6121 to the SB6141 the only change that I noticed was the increase in bonded channels from 4 to 8. I am now on 50/10 Blast but was on a Performance package when I made the switch.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

1 recommendation

reply to Planethill

said by Planethill:

Hey All,

However being a geek who wants the latest toys

If you can swing the cash, just do it. I always buy what I want. It feels great to have the current technology.

If you want another choice for a great 8 x 4 modem, consider the Zoom 5341J. Awesome modem endorsed by many knowledgeable members here.
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

gHiDoRa

join:2002-08-05
Memphis, TN
reply to Planethill

use that money bring your gf out and have a nice dinner, i'm 4sure i will get some in return.

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

Nicely said!

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to Planethill

8x4 vs. 4x4 definitely offers a fatter download pipe for more reliability in getting your subscribed to speeds more consistently especially during times of peak usage / congestion / load.

Planethill

Patterson, NY

Interesting. That was exactly what I was wondering. So there ARE scenarios where it would make a difference. Thanks!

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

said by Planethill:

Interesting. That was exactly what I was wondering. So there ARE scenarios where it would make a difference. Thanks!

Provided that you local system is yet delivering eight downstream carriers, yes.

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
kudos:1

Agreed about the eight down.
I had the 6120 and bought the 6141 and have been using it for a few months.
My area does have the 8 channels down with 2 up and I did notice things being more constant with the 6141 than they were with the 6120.
I don't know how congestion is determined, but a Comcast tech told me there were only 31 subs on the node I am on.
The 6120 had no problems, but I like to have the latest for things coming down the road.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

said by Wayne99021:

I don't know how congestion is determined, but a Comcast tech told me there were only 31 subs on the node I am on.

Wow. You are lucky if that is true !

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

1 recommendation

I live in a pretty rural area with few houses and a resident moose or two walking around. I guess you would call it the boonies.
The plant was put in all new in 2001.
The only thing I could figure was it was AT&T at the time and the regional manager for AT&T lived 3 houses away.

scajjr

join:2005-03-01
Kingston, NH
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Planethill

I ordered a 6141 will be here tomorrow. Have a 6120 been using it for 3+ years now but figured I'd upgrade, having 8x4 can't hurt.

Will I have to call Comcast and get them to push a firmware for the 6141 or just swap 'em and be good to go?

Sam

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

Firmware is downloaded automatically. You may have to call to give them the new MAC and Serial # though.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com
»www.BronzedBod.com

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
reply to scajjr

Connect it up and let it fully sync with the system. If you don't see the Self Registration Page (the Walled Garden) when you open the browser of a computer connected to the modem then you will need to call in and tell them that you want to have a new modem provisioned for service. Have the make, model, serial number, and the HFC MAC address handy when you call. If there is a newer firmware available for it on the CMTS / system, it will be pushed automatically.

[EDIT]

Sorry for the echo ExoticFish See Profile. Didn't see your reply before I posted.

scajjr

Kingston, NH
reply to Planethill

Thanks guys. I own the 6120 but I couldn't remember what I did when I got that one.

Sam

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

I don't think so.
i have the zoom5341 and it's a 4x4 modem and I do this in the middle of the day

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA

Uh-huh. What version of the 5341 do you have? The J model? That version is 8x4 if memory serves.

scajjr

Kingston, NH
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Planethill

Well got our 6141 installed (had to call to provision, online wouldn't work right) and have to say there is a noticeable speed increase with the web. Pages load much quicker. Ran a couple speed tests, both around 65 mbps. Checked modem page, shows 8 channels.

Sam

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to Chris 313

From what I recall, he has one of the older models (either G or H).
--
KI6RIT

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD
reply to Planethill

Nice to see, folks. I'm in a different-but-similar position to the OP, except it's my currently-leased ARRIS WBM-760A I'm thinking of replacing with a 6141. (No problems with the ARRIS - however, I waited until I could replace the router that was parked behind it - Comcast-supplied WNR-3500v1 - with the WNDR3700v4 that is there today - now that the tag-team is working properly - for both IPv4 and IPv6 - I can return to a purchased modem (the WBM-760A is only the second HSI modem I've ever leased).