spc
uniqs
gp1954
join:2013-01-26

1 edit

gp1954 to Anonguy

to Anonguy

Re: [KS] Cisco DIPC 3010 - Orange/yellow/amber lights (not green

Here is what I can see. I already had two visits from a technician, they found that the signal was good and strong, they still decided to replace most of the cables outside (except for the drop which they will replace tomorrow). Somehow I doubt that the cables are the problem.

How do I get someone knowledgeable to look into this issue? When I call tech support, or I talk to the level 1 technician that comes to look at the cables, they have no idea what I am talking about....

Thanks!
Hoss
Sauters A Walrus
join:2000-10-05
Tulsa, OK

Hoss

said by gp1954:

Here is what I can see. I already had two visits from a technician, they found that the signal was good and strong, they still decided to replace most of the cables outside (except for the drop which they will replace tomorrow). Somehow I doubt that the cables are the problem.

How do I get someone knowledgeable to look into this issue? When I call tech support, or I talk to the level 1 technician that comes to look at the cables, they have no idea what I am talking about....

Thanks!

That sure looks like 8 channel bonding to me...

Anonguy
@cox.net

Anonguy to gp1954

Anon

to gp1954
As Hoss said that looks fine.

You don't have a problem.

You probably just don't have upstream bonding in your area yet probably. So you have 1 amber light.
Anonguy

Anonguy

Anon

Also edit your pic to remove your MAC address... That should not be public!
gp1954

gp1954 to Anonguy

to Anonguy
Mmm. Sorry for my ignorance, but I thought that the power level being zero in 3 of the four channels meant that there was no bonding? Is that for upstream only?

The funny thing is, only green light (indicating bonding) is for the US, while the DS light is yellow....

Thanks!

Anonguy
@cox.net

Anonguy

Anon

Correct the 3 zeros in the upstream section means there is no upstream bonding.

That just means Cox has not turned it on.

You are bonding 8 downstreams with great levels!
gp1954

gp1954

OK, I appreciate the information. However, I must say that the performance of the modem so far is less than stellar. The main problem is that download speed varies from an acceptable 28Mbps to suddenly something like 5Mbps. Doing a speedtest I can see that it jumps up and down a lot. When I stream content, I often run into buffering problems.

I am attaching an example of what I am talking about

Do you have any idea how I can address this issue? It did not use to be like this, I used to have a sustained high rate and never had problems with streaming content until a few weeks ago.

Also, what do I make of the fact that the upload light on the modem is yellow, indicating (apparently) no channel bonding?
Thank you for all your help!
gp1954

1 edit

gp1954

Brief update: the lights are now all green. I suppose that it may take a few hours for the channel bonding status to be reflected in the lights...? I am just trying to guess. Nothing else changed, but all the lights are now green, as they should be.

Performance, though, remains poor, as described above. This test was done just a few minutes ago: **download at 4 Mbps..!** I guess that is a different issue from the reason I opened this thread, but if anyone has any hint, all suggestions are welcome.

Thank you all for your help!
gp1954

gp1954 to Anonguy

to Anonguy
said by Anonguy :

Also edit your pic to remove your MAC address... That should not be public!

Sorry, I fixed it. Thanks for the tip!

DDR329
@cox.net

DDR329 to gp1954

Anon

to gp1954
There are two ways the lights would have changed.
1 - the modem was unplugged then plugged back in and the modem picked up the channels should be bonded and the light turned green

2 - the firmware on the modem was not up to date and a new firmware was sent automatically. this would have reset the modem and again the light turned green.
m8trix
join:2003-12-24
Chandler, AZ

m8trix to gp1954

to gp1954
do you have a router connected to this modem, if so try bypassing and see what happens
gp1954

gp1954 to DDR329

to DDR329
said by DDR329 :

There are two ways the lights would have changed.
1 - the modem was unplugged then plugged back in and the modem picked up the channels should be bonded and the light turned green

2 - the firmware on the modem was not up to date and a new firmware was sent automatically. this would have reset the modem and again the light turned green.

I was thinking something along the same line. It happened while I was gone, so it is certainly not #1. And, after comparing a screenshot that I had before (with yellow lights) and the current setup screen, I can confirm that the firmware is different!
gp1954

gp1954 to m8trix

to m8trix
said by m8trix:

do you have a router connected to this modem, if so try bypassing and see what happens

Thank you for the suggestions, I tried that but the results do not change. Very inconsistent performance, within the same five minutes I can go from over 30 Mbps to 1.5, then to 23, etc.....