Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cdeen

join:2013-02-04
Mississauga, ON
reply to Pesterd

Re: Bell now giving unlimited usage

thanks yyzlhr --- offer included a free hdpvr and an extra 20GB of internet usage both free for 3 years but no contract I thought they always had commitments terms tied to their free hardware and I dont see anything online confirming a no term period

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:2
reply to cdeen

said by cdeen:

I called in today about their bundles online and the agent informed me that there was no contract --- is this new? or is he trying to trick me into the services?

It depends what the offer is. Both Bell and Rogers are moving towards a direction where contracts are no longer required for certain promos.

cdeen

Mississauga, ON
reply to Pesterd

I called in today about their bundles online and the agent informed me that there was no contract --- is this new? or is he trying to trick me into the services?

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON
reply to Dunlop

Had Fibe internet installed last year, hose aready pre-wired, still took near 3 hours, a lot of outside work. Fibe TV last week, took a bit over 1 hour. Again using all existing wiring.

I don't think the guys will fish the wires.

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to Pesterd

Agree,

The majority of the time was outside, my existing coax (videotron) was used and I setup all the network once the Sagecom was plugged in.

He did need to add a demarc box to my house as it did not have one...so no idea how long that takes.

All and all, nice guy and it was free so no complaints :P

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Bell Sympatico

4 edits
reply to Dunlop

My home is pre-wired with ethernet in every room, so their install shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes, just drop off a STB and add an IPTV login in my modem. I'm not paying $250 for that lol.

OTOH I can see a lot of older homes that have a mess of internal wiring and they spend all day trying to fix it. For those people, assuming are fishing and not stapling wires on the wall, $250 is a bargain. I paid $500 just in materials and tools to upgrade my place to CAT6.

If there is an issue with outside wiring, they could spend 7 hours or 2 days there.. they are fully liable so you don't have to worry about extra fees.

I guess what I'm saying is, they should decide the install charge case by case. If they spend all day on your internal wiring, full rate. If they come and go and everything works in 10 minutes, you shouldn't have to pay anything.

Dunlop

reply to JAC70

FTTN unfortunately

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada
reply to Dunlop

said by Dunlop:

Mine was free with the promo but the tech as act my house for about 7 hours (with me helping out), he said some installs can take 10 hours +

Was this a FTTH or a FTTN install?

Dunlop

Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to Pesterd

The $250 installation fee answers some questions for me.

Mine was free with the promo but the tech as act my house for about 7 hours (with me helping out), he said some installs can take 10 hours +

I thought the e-mail telling me to reserve 4 to 8 hours was a joke and when I saw it wasn't I was tying to figure out how much Bell was eating in costs to have to pay for 1 tech per install a day.

Love the service now but I definitely would not have taken the plunge for $250

BliZZardX
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Bell Sympatico

1 edit
reply to mozerd

In Ontario, it's:
- $49.95 install fee with 2 year contract
- $249.95 install fee with no contract

Quebec is the only province with à-la-carte programming. Also they still require you to take Internet service (no standalone option for IPTV).

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
reply to mozerd

said by mozerd:

said by yyzlhr:

I recently contemplated a switch to Fibe TV. Was told you can take it without a contract, but the install fee was outrageous.

I am seriously contemplating switching to Fibe TV .... so I am curious to know how outrageous the install fee they quoted you?

About $250.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to yyzlhr

said by yyzlhr:

I recently contemplated a switch to Fibe TV. Was told you can take it without a contract, but the install fee was outrageous.

I am seriously contemplating switching to Fibe TV .... so I am curious to know how outrageous the install fee they quoted you?

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
reply to BliZZardX

said by BliZZardX:

As long as Fibe TV requires a 2 year contract, I am not interested. However, the $30 unlimited bandwidth option for internet is clever. Don't forget to buy the add-on though, the max overage charge with no add-on is still $80.

Dunlop

Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to BliZZardX

said by BliZZardX:

As long as Fibe TV requires a 2 year contract, I am not interested. However, the $30 unlimited bandwidth option for internet is clever. Don't forget to buy the add-on though, the max overage charge with no add-on is still $80.

I was not obligated to any contract, I signed up the first week of January. Free PVR for 3 years and then I own it and $5 (and change) a month for my extra STB and after 3 years I own it.

I'm in Quebec though

I was a proud Bell hater but I have to say outside of the obvious fact that I am paying more for my internet the installation process (I was Videotron for TV, ElectronicBox for internet) and service when you call the FibeTV number has been fantastic

color me surprised

BliZZardX
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to quickbeam

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Treegravy

said by Treegravy:

said by yyzlhr:

said by cdeen:

Has anyone been able to get more usage out of Rogers using the unlimited bandwidth at Bell as a threat?

Rogers has told frontline representatives that they have no plans to offer unlimited at this time. They did however, bring back their Extreme with 200GB and free modem rental at $45 for 8 years, no contract promo.

I don't know where this eight years business started but the deal is only for 8 months to jack in the students. I saw the ad in my building late last August...

I know there is argument over this, but 8 years for 200 GB is valid.

Problem: What Rogers my offer in the meantime.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

quickbeam
Premium
join:2003-06-01
reply to Pesterd

This is a brilliant move by Bell. It forces Rogers hand to either NOT offer it OR offer it. They couldn't have released this at a better time.

If Rogers does offer it they may have to re-introduce traffic management which would make them look worse than they already do, Rogers just finished removing it at the start of 2013. I don't think Rogers network could handle unlimited with some kind of negative impact to the network.

If they don't offer it people with start moving to bell for more reasons than just promo flipping. Bell already offers a far superior Set top box with their fibe service, the guide is much faster. Bell is a little cheaper when off promotion. Now they are rolling out this unlimited internet...Rogers better wake up.

Treegravy
Premium
join:2011-04-21
canada
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to yyzlhr

said by yyzlhr:

said by cdeen:

Has anyone been able to get more usage out of Rogers using the unlimited bandwidth at Bell as a threat?

Rogers has told frontline representatives that they have no plans to offer unlimited at this time. They did however, bring back their Extreme with 200GB and free modem rental at $45 for 8 years, no contract promo.

I don't know where this eight years business started but the deal is only for 8 months to jack in the students. I saw the ad in my building late last August...

bdoyledimou

join:2002-08-20
Markham, ON
reply to Paying2much

they just jacked up the prices -- you hould be able to terminate without cost.

Paying2much

@rogers.com
reply to yyzlhr

I called. No luck. Was also told it would cost me $360 to break my contract and leave.

Poser

join:2002-07-28
reply to yyzlhr

I'm not a Rogers Internet customer anymore, but I think I will also call and inquire about their service, and ask them why I would sign up with them when Bell is offering something so much better.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
reply to yyzlhr

hm maybe people should start to call and demand it. I may call and do that.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
reply to cdeen

said by cdeen:

cdeen

Mississauga, ON
reply to Pesterd

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to m0rphy

I couldn't agree more. Even if bell costs a few dollars more, I will be switching to them when all my discounts expire. I have had it, not with the pricing, or even the caps, its just Rogers is last to the party. Their PVR's are garbage, their new interface for tv is crap to the largest stink, and its been nothing but problems. They rape you on terminal rentals, and the PQ is always sub standard.

Samgee

join:2010-08-02
canada
reply to liquid_ic

said by liquid_ic:

Signed up for Bell, giving rogers 1 month to match or beat. Unlimited with the third parties is going bye bye with the new ruling on non-aggregate speeds..

The only thing that will be restricted is usage during peak hours. If the rates remain as they are some providers will be creative in how they offer unlimited, but will still offer it.

MFido

join:2012-10-19
reply to liquid_ic

said by liquid_ic:

Unlimited with the third parties is going bye bye with the new ruling on non-aggregate speeds..

Thanks so much for being visionary and for supporting Bell ... [sarcasm].

Without third parties you would NEVER have access to unlimited ...

m0rphy

@rogers.com
reply to liquid_ic

I've been a Rogers customer since god knows when but I'm ready to switch everything over to Bell with this unlimited bandwidth offer. I am paying Rogers too dam much with their outrageous $100 over limit charge (on extreme plan). I will have better TV experience with Bell (FibeTV > RogersTV, free PVR), faster internet upload speed, and on top of that I can save a lot of money. There's NO reason not to switch. I'm sure Rogers are just waiting around 1 or 2 month to assess what the damage can be. If the loss is minimal they will just toss us something disgraceful like a 10% discount offer. Never expect anything remotely decent from these guys. Sorry Rogers, I'm out.

liquid_ic

join:2010-07-19
L
reply to Pesterd

Signed up for Bell, giving rogers 1 month to match or beat. Unlimited with the third parties is going bye bye with the new ruling on non-aggregate speeds..

Poser

join:2002-07-28
reply to lolrogers

Tom?