Search similar:

uniqs
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

1 edit

47717768 (banned)

[Services] U-verse reliability

I am just wondering is U-verse internet better than cable or about the same. In terms of connection quality and stability?

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

Re: [Services] U-verse

Could better or worse. It all depends on the characteristics of the infrastructure.

Speed is another matter entirely though. Cable has much more potential, again, depending on the infrastructure and what levels of service are offered.
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

I were always thinning fiber should be much more stable. They have just installed U-verse in my area, but i have one year contract with the Bright House. I did have DSL, and it was no fun whatsoever. By the way cable is a lot better than DSL.

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

graysonf

MVM

U-verse is fiber to the neighborhood VRAD box only. From there it runs over copper pairs just like DSL, and the condition and length of that copper can effect the service.

I've had DSL since it was rolled out here in 1998. Never had any major problems with it. I am about a mile from the CO on buried copper.

I've been on cable since last May. I haven't had any trouble with it once they ran a new line for me. They took care of that within a few days of me signing up.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to 47717768

MVM

to 47717768
said by 47717768:

I were always thinning fiber should be much more stable. They have just installed U-verse in my area, but i have one year contract with the Bright House. I did have DSL, and it was no fun whatsoever. By the way cable is a lot better than DSL.

Unless they deployed FTTP in your area (unlikely), U-verse HSI will be either ADSL2+, or VDSL.

If you like cable Internet better than DSL, you should not change.
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned) to graysonf

to graysonf
Thanks everyone for the great answers. I agree with you NormanS. I would probably stay with cable.

burris
Premium Member
join:2000-08-22
Palm Beach Gardens, FL

burris to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768

Re: [Services] U-verse reliability

Just for the record, although I don't have it, U-verse was down over most of the country and particularly in South Florida for about 4 days last week. Phone and internet for sure.
OriginalDrM
join:2003-05-08
Pompano Beach, FL

OriginalDrM

To be fair, that was just U-verse, burris.

I'm in Florida and I use Earthlink as my ISP. Same dsl lines, but I don't deal with AT&T's drama. I never lost my net this week.

Elink still has usenets too (about 5-6 month retention by my estimates).

Am I wrong or is cable's advertise higher speeds (versus dsl) only bursts that drop over sustained uploads or downloads?

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

Comcast cable has offerings with what they call PowerBoost. This allows the early part of transfer to run at higher speed before dropping down to what it will run at continuously going forward.

I have the Performance package which runs 16/2 mbps continuosuly. However during PowerBoost it is running at 25/4 mbps
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned) to OriginalDrM

to OriginalDrM
When i have had DSL with AT&T my connection was slow and on the raining days the connection would drop. As for Cable Vs. DSL, yes Cable speeds are much higher than standard DSL.

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

graysonf

MVM

Weather related connection drops are almost always related to poor condition of the copper loop.

Even in dry weather, poor loop condition causes degraded performance.

Long loops aggravate these problems.
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

said by graysonf:

Weather related connection drops are almost always related to poor condition of the copper loop.

Even in dry weather, poor loop condition causes degraded performance.

Long loops aggravate these problems.

Yep. I could not believe my self that i were using DSL for the passed 8 years. I am glad that i have made a move to Cable.

burris
Premium Member
join:2000-08-22
Palm Beach Gardens, FL

burris to OriginalDrM

Premium Member

to OriginalDrM
I thought I did mention that it was U-verse?
Since I help many friends with their PCs and internet, I can tell you for sure that those who had internet and phone service through U-verse, were down for 3-4 days..

»www.cnn.com/2013/01/24/t ··· dex.html

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf to 47717768

MVM

to 47717768
I was on DSL from numerous ISPs, all running over the Bellsouth/AT&T ATM network for 15 years.

I appreciate AT&T chasing me away with their incessant, unannounced, and outrageous price increases.

Comcast is 20 times faster for less money.
graysonf

graysonf to burris

MVM

to burris
Several of my neighbors have U-Verse for TV, phone, and net and they were not impacted by that outage.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to OriginalDrM

MVM

to OriginalDrM
said by OriginalDrM:

Am I wrong or is cable's advertise higher speeds (versus dsl) only bursts that drop over sustained uploads or downloads?

As graysonf See Profile states, cable has a feature with higher than tier speed in the initial download.

Around here, Comcast is as fast as, or faster than the fastest U-verse tier; but also more expensive.
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned) to graysonf

to graysonf
said by graysonf:

I was on DSL from numerous ISPs, all running over the Bellsouth/AT&T ATM network for 15 years.

I appreciate AT&T chasing me away with their incessant, unannounced, and outrageous price increases.

Comcast is 20 times faster for less money.

I agree with you %100 on that. With the Cable you get cheaper price or more speed for the same price, also on top of that AT&T limits bandwidth, and who needs that copyright crap they are fighting for?