uniqs
share rss forum feed

twhiting9275

join:2002-08-30
Waterloo, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

[Cable TV] Ok, now I'm just a bit confused (not to mention annoy

For years now, I've been calling in, ordering PPV's, having them added to my account, and they work just fine, despite not having a box (cable cards). EVERY single time though, it's like pulling teeth

Mediacom: I'm sorry, sir, but that's just not possible
Me: Yes it is, just enable them on the account
Mediacom: I'm sorry sir, but we can't do that
Me: Please, listen to your customer and just enable them
Mediacom: Hold on one second while I speak to a supervisor
Me: [waits 5 minutes]
Mediacom: Ok, we've added that to your account, you should be good
Usually, this involves 3-4 calls, 10-15 minutes each. Today, I was lucky and got it done in 2. Every single time, it's worked. Even online CSR's can't seem to get this one right (»www.facebook.com/mediacomcable/p···79709224).

It's embarrassing that a customer can school a Mediacom representative in what they're supposed to be doing here. I mean, aren't these reps supposed to have at least a clue as to what's going on? While I'm still waiting on tonight's PPV (starts at 630), I'm 1000% certain that just like before it will work. So, why are you guys misinforming, both your customers, and your CSR's? The card IS an m-card (multi-stream), which, at least last time I talked to your reps (years ago), you didn't carry. More misinformation, trying to get us to cave and buy the dumbed down box we don't need ?

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:95

Re: [Cable TV] Ok, now I'm just a bit confused (not to mention a

twhiting9275,

I have looked over the account and have verified that with the equipment that you currently have, you will not be able to access the Video OnDemand Service, Pay-Per-View or Our Interactive Guide.

I have also gone back through your account and am seeing that you had a set-top box up until 12/22/12, you had a set-top box, but it was removed from the account. Because of this, you will not be able to view the Pay-Per View selections that you are wanting to view, including the one that you called in to order today.

I can understand the frustration with this issue, especially with as many people you have talked to, including the interaction on Facebook, but unless a set-top box is added to the account, you will not be able to access the content you are trying to watch.

If you would like to have a box added to your account, feel free to send me a message here and I will get this added to your account so you can pick one up at the local office or by having a tech come out and install one.
--
MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
»mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport/

twhiting9275

Waterloo, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

quote:
I have also gone back through your account and am seeing that you had a set-top box up until 12/22/12

I haven't had a 'set top box' for years. Dunno where you guys are coming up with this, but it is definitely not true. Your set top boxes are obsolete, horrific, overcharged and do nothing at all, considering Tivo is 5x more useful than your set top boxes (and it's actually not that good).

In some 4, 5 years now, I've ordered countless PPV's, by calling in. It's pretty simplistic until I have to deal with the rinse/wash/repeat system. None of those PPV's have been attached to a box, as I DO NOT HAVE ONE, and refuse to purchase one from you. See above statement, which is 100% accurate.

With an S-Card, you are 100% correct, that a PPV wouldn't be possible, however the m-cards that I have can handle multiple streams at the same time, and CAN properly handle a PPV. Again, these HAVE been doing so for the past 4-5 years!

I swear, dealing with the same old, same old misinformation is just freaking RIDICULOUS. Stop trying to 'upsell' here. I'm not going to buy your overpriced box. I'm not going to pay anything for it, it's useless.

twhiting9275

Waterloo, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to twhiting9275

Tell ya what:

If it's impossible, Chad, please, explain the ppv ordered (and received) in July. No STB, nothing.

If it's impossible, please explain the ppv's ordered all through 2010, 2011. Again, no STB's, nothing.

All you have to do is look at my bills to see I didn't have a box. There's no way you'd let that go without charging me, like everything else.

Yes, I'm frustrated. I'm tired of paying $150-$200/month for years on end now, being treated like my time isn't worth anything, and STILL fighting these line issues. It's pointless trying to actually get support here. The least you could do is provide answers, instead of just trying to upsell here.

Lazy Senior

join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Mediacom

said by twhiting9275:

Yes, I'm frustrated. I'm tired of paying $150-$200/month for years on end now, being treated like my time isn't worth anything,
It's pointless trying to actually get support here. The least you could do is provide answers, instead of just trying to upsell here.

Have you ever considered Directv/Dish? When you get frustrated with any company it is time to move on.....

twhiting9275

Waterloo, IA

Unfortunately, neither are a real option.
Mediacom has a monopoly in the area here. Directv and dish don't play nicely with Tivo, so it's not like they are even close to realistic.

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
reply to twhiting9275

Chad this shit needs to stop. Yeah I know Mediacom is happy to get the extra revenue but the rule was you only get what FCC requires to be provided for cable cards and nothing else. Poor CS training again.

Why should someone pay $10.50/mo if they can get it for $1.99? We might as well bring the TV Guide for CCs back...
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

twhiting9275

Waterloo, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 edit
reply to twhiting9275

said by Anonymous:

Chad this shit needs to stop.

I agree, especially considering it was 100% FAKE, and a lie.
I spent about 3 hours of my time on the phone today, total. That's an equivalent of a month's payment to Mediacom, mind you, time wise. Finally, I got ahold of someone with half a brain that actually got the pay per view added to my account. NO freaking clue how they did it, but guess what? Everything that every Mediacom CSR has said today about this has been a lie.

I realize that what you want to do is 'upsell' individuals to a better product, but let's face it here, trying to tell individuals that this can't. be done all to meet your bottom line is ridiculous.

Back to the original point of this thread:
You need to train your individuals better. From the individual that I talked to:
You don't need the digital gateway on your account
or even better
You don't need a set top box
The guy enabled the PPV on my account, though on the wrong channel (my bad, I didn't specify HD PPV to him ). The PPV was easily watched on both TV's (Tivo boxes), if I wanted to. As with before,there were absolutely zero issues getting this watched. Absolutely none.

In the end, it comes down to training. Clearly, Chad, you, and the others that I have come in contact with today (including 2 'managers') either

A> were not trained properly
or
B> are just trying to 'upsell' something

Either way, it looks bad when your customer knows more about your company than you do. It looks even WORSE when your customer has to spend 3 hours trying to get something enabled that SHOULD take 5 minutes (tops)

P.S.:
The 'digital gateway' is not a STB, it doesn't have to be on the device (from what I was told), and is included with Starz/HBO from what I was told. Sooooo, that means that all I had to do o get it back on the account was to order Starz/HBO again (if it was necessary), or order it separately. No 'trips' necessary, no maintenance, a simple call, and it's done. So, please, again, stop giving out misinformation. It's just embarassing.

[edit]
oops, forgot to close some HTML out
[/edit]

twhiting9275

Waterloo, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to twhiting9275

Also:

When did Mediacom start outsourcing support? Calling in as many times as I have today, I could distinctly tell that one of the reps was not from the US, despite multiple transfers. Was confirmed by the next call , rep saying that the previous call was outsourced.

Clearly, yet another bogus move by Mediacom, and probably a contributing factor to the "you can't get this" issue , when, in reality, I COULD

Lazy Senior

Cobden, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to twhiting9275

said by twhiting9275:

Unfortunately, neither are a real option.
Mediacom has a monopoly in the area here. Directv and dish don't play nicely with Tivo, so it's not like they are even close to realistic.

NOT TRUE, Directv offers a TIVO DVR.
»www.directv.com/technology/tivo_receiver

However Directv's new DVR's are just better than TIVOS.They have Bigger HardDrivess and whole home networking, Pandora, 5 tuners (record 5 shows at once) etc. I have had both the Tivo and DTV DVRs. I had loved the TIVO but now would never go back after using the Genie HR34 DVR. Dishnetworks new DVR's are great too.

Unless you do not have a view to the southwest for the sat dish, Mediacom does not have a monopoly.

twhiting9275

Waterloo, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

said by Lazy Senior:

NOT TRUE, Directv offers a TIVO DVR.
»www.directv.com/technology/tivo_receiver

A modified version, maybe, modified to do what they want, and limit you to do what they want you to do
said by Lazy Senior:

However Directv's new DVR's are just better than TIVOS

That is an 'opinion', not actual fact. No cable company (or satellite company) DVR is actually BETTER than a Tivo. I realize they may want you to think you're getting the same thing, but you're not.. Tivo has gotten into bed with so many companies, and modified their boxes for so many of them, dumbing them down it's not funny. They're pretty well known for that.

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL
reply to Anonymous

said by Anonymous:

Chad this shit needs to stop. Yeah I know Mediacom is happy to get the extra revenue but the rule was you only get what FCC requires to be provided for cable cards and nothing else. Poor CS training again.

Why should someone pay $10.50/mo if they can get it for $1.99? We might as well bring the TV Guide for CCs back...

you need to realize mediacom needs to invest in new boxes for cable service. There old junk that should have been replaced years ago. I would gladly give mediacom a look if you had a dvr that could record 5 shows at once. and not charge me per dvr.

Lazy Senior

Cobden, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to twhiting9275

said by twhiting9275:

No cable company (or satellite company) DVR is actually BETTER than a Tivo.

Well, I had a Directv Tivo for several years and I though it was fantastic. However the New Directv Genie DVR's blow's the Tivo away. It has 5 Tuners (Yep, record different 5 shows at the same time and watch the DVR at the same time).No Tivo I ever seen can do that. Also Whole Home Networking with Internet, which among other things links all your TV's. In other words share the DVR with other locations in your house .The Networking goes thru the coax, no Ethernet cables needed. It has many bells and whistles that the Tivos just do not have.

The BEST thing about DTV Genie DVR or DTV Tivo is you don't have to deal with Mediacom's customer service..

Frustration free, Directv treats customers right.

twhiting9275

Waterloo, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

4 is just fine for me, my premiere can do that. And if I need more, I have 2 in the back room.

As far as 'blowing things away', and 'bells and whistles', the most important bell / whistle is the ability to transfer things from the Tivo to the PC for storage/archiving, and then back to the Tivo when I need to. Of course, no cable company is going to allow that on THEIR devices, they all want you to live on THEIR rules and THEIR terms.

Lazy Senior

Cobden, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

said by twhiting9275:

4 is just fine for me, my premiere can do that. And if I need more, I have 2 in the back room.

the most important bell / whistle is the ability to transfer things from the Tivo to the PC for storage/archiving, and then back to the Tivo when I need to.

I actually have 7 tuners available. I have the Genie with 5 tuners and a DTV HR24 networked to the Genie. The HR24 has "only" 2 tuners.

My Genie has a 1TB hardrive and in a years time I have never had it more than 50% full and that is with a wife trying.

Actually I have never seen anything on TV that is worth storing on a PC. Besides with Directv's ON-Demand all most everything on all major channels is available anyway. Even old stuff that played years ago including series.

Lazy Senior

Cobden, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to twhiting9275

said by twhiting9275:

Of course, no cable company is going to allow that on THEIR devices, they all want you to live on THEIR rules and THEIR terms.

I would suggest you blame the content providers for that not Mediacom.

twhiting9275

Waterloo, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

said by Lazy Senior:

I would suggest you blame the content providers for that not Mediacom.

Not when the provider (insert cable company here) is responsible for providing the equipment.

If this was flagged 'do not copy', that would be a whole different issue, and yeah, it would be the content provider. Comcast does this as do a few others from what I can tell

As far as storing things on a PC, well, I wish I had the time to sit and watch everything that looked 'interesting'. There are times I'm months behind (sometimes a whole season) on TV and can just sit and blow through it over the summer, hence a 3TB storage drive dedicated to strictly TV

kb0nly

join:2003-07-25
Tyler, MN

So judging by the picture above the whole argument started over useless WWE content? OMG.. Who watches that soap opera bullshit anymore? The teenagers don't even watch that crap now days.

Radio_Guy
Field Engineer
Premium
join:2010-01-20
Clive, IA
reply to twhiting9275

Not to stir the pot, but I think you broke the law by posting that image without permission. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

referencing »www.wwe.com/help/generalfaq/copyright

Copyright and Trademark Notice

"The textual, photographic, video, audio, and combined audiovisual programs and products resulting from the World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc.'s events and television programs, including the material contained in this web site, are protected under U.S. and international laws as copyrighted works. Anyone who displays, reproduces, copies, creates derivative works, or sells our textual, photographic, video or audiovisual programs for commercial or non-commercial purposes without our permission violates the copyright laws and is liable for copyright infringement."

"Likewise, the World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc.'s trademarks and service marks, including not only its world famous WWE and WWE marks, but also the names of its superstars, like Stone Cold Steve Austin are protected by state, federal, and international trademark laws. Any person who uses our marks for commercial or non-commercial purposes without our permission on goods or services in such a way that it dilutes the distinctive quality of our marks or that creates the likelihood of confusion with our marks is liable for trademark infringement."

"Liability for copyright or trademark infringement involves the potential for significant civil damages, including in particular cases, statutory damages, liability for up to three times actual damages, and attorneys fees."
--
The bitterness of poor quality lingers longer than the sweetness of low cost. (usually)

twhiting9275

Waterloo, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to kb0nly

said by kb0nly:

So judging by the picture above the whole argument started over useless WWE content?

Who cares WHY this is going on. The fact of the matter is that Mediacom is in the wrong here, lying to their customers, trying to get them to pay more for something they don't need (upsell) in order to get them to pay for what they want. This is what you call a scam.

twhiting9275

Waterloo, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to Radio_Guy

said by Radio_Guy:

Not to stir the pot, but I think you broke the law by posting that image without permission. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

And you may be right, though I don't think they'd mind posting of a blurry image . As the proof has already been established, I've removed the image . No need to bring down the wrath of the McMahons