The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to hortnut

Re: [Rant] Upsell instead of tech support

said by hortnut:

Baffled as to why a Comcast Employee on the front line would not know about it or not have the curiosity to check it out...

If a particular product or service is not explicitly part of the script, deviating from the script is a good way to join the ranks of the unemployed. CSRs are only there to intercept phone calls; actually providing service to the customer is (at best) secondary.

Being informed that "every employee is a sales person", and being told that "providing an illusion of service is more important than actually providing a service" (and having my performance reviews based on those statements), is why I pulled the rip cord on my corporate golden parachute many years ago.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by NetFixer:

said by hortnut:

Baffled as to why a Comcast Employee on the front line would not know about it or not have the curiosity to check it out...

If a particular product or service is not explicitly part of the script, deviating from the script is a good way to join the ranks of the unemployed. CSRs are only there to intercept phone calls; actually providing service to the customer is (at best) secondary.

I have yet worked for any Company that was so rigid that the "script" was written in stone and one could not deviate. Tale that back, there was one. I left at lunch and never returned. So you are correct, they exist.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to NetFixer

said by NetFixer:

...Being informed that "every employee is a sales person", and being told that "providing an illusion of service is more important than actually providing a service" (and having my performance reviews based on those statements), is why I pulled the rip cord on my corporate golden parachute many years ago.

Perhaps The Best Explanation of why Comcast's support just sucks (I'd offer more adjectives and adverbs, but I'd probably be banned from this site) follows:

As a Comcast customer, I have formed two opinions:

(1) The goal of the support person is not a satisfied customer.

(2) The goal of a support person is more revenue.

Every Comcast employee is a customer support person. When Comcast finally realizes that fundamental truth, then and only then will Comcast be able to survive outside of the government-sanctioned monopolies that Comcast currently enjoy.

I have said it before and I wll say it again --- every Comcast Tech who has been in my house has been very good to excellent. Each and every one of those Techs has shown to me that they are interested in me, the Comcast customer.

Why cannot the rest of Comcast show the same concern for their customers who, by the way, pay them each week?

Why are Comcast management so antagonistic towards the very people who provide their multi-billion revenue per year?

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to hortnut

said by hortnut:

I have yet worked for any Company that was so rigid that the "script" was written in stone and one could not deviate. Tale that back, there was one. I left at lunch and never returned. So you are correct, they exist.

There is more than one in existence.

It is sad, actually.

The goal of the Comcast scripts appears to be to get the customer off the phone or to buy more services, rather than solving the customer's problem.