Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

quickdry21

join:2009-05-15
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX

Nexus 4 LTE on Bell

Not sure if this is more appropriate in the Android or Canadian Chat forums.

Anywho...

I picked up an unused Nexus 4 off Kijiji in December, and I've recently been playing around with the unsupported LTE connectivity. Apparently the cell chip could only be installed with LTE support for band 4 (AWS), which is used by a few carriers in Canada.

Now, I've turned on LTE and done some speed tests (20Mbit down, 10Mbit up with 2-3 bars) and it seems to work great. However, I've read (and am a bit confused about) that the phone is missing some hardware components to implement a fully functional LTE phone.

Is Nexus 4 LTE as functional as an LTE phone supported by Canadian carriers? And better yet, are there any other Canadians out there who have a Nexus 4 and have been using LTE on a daily basis?

Robert
Premium
join:2002-03-11
St John'S, NL
From what I have read, it has been used successfully. However the battery life suffers as a result, and reception for LTE was not as good as result not being optimized (RE: antenna) for LTE.

How do you like the phone, and if you you don't mind answering, how much did you pay for it?
--
It's one thing to listen to an idiot talk. As soon as you respond, there are now 2 idiots having a conversation.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to quickdry21
I understand Rogers people have been able to get it changing the APN. For Bell, the APN is 'pda.bell.ca'

Citation: »www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1783569
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

quickdry21

Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to Robert
I adore this phone. Its cheap, pure Google, has some noticeably speedy hardware and best of all is unlocked. I have zero complaints and haven't noticed any of the build issues that others have. Apparently the battery life is mediocre, but compared to my last phone, a Desire Z, it is much better.

I picked up the 16GB off Kijiji for $480, about $120 more than you can get it off the Play Store. Considering it is still sold out, entirely worth it.

teddy

join:2002-02-20
Kingston, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Start Communicat..
·Cogeco Cable
said by quickdry21:

I picked up the 16GB off Kijiji for $480, about $120 more than you can get it off the Play Store. Considering it is still sold out, entirely worth it.

Only $60 more than you'd have paid. Factoring in taxes & shipping, mine was $422 from the Play Store (Ontario HST)

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to quickdry21
It's biggest flaw is that its only 16gb, no microsd support....
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
Neither does the iPhone, and it's twice the price, and more.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by Juggernaut:

Neither does the iPhone, and it's twice the price, and more.

Well at least you can get 32 or 64gb..

For me 32gb is the sweet spot... can have enough apps and enough music...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
And $800... It's not unlocked either.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

It's biggest flaw is that its only 16gb, no microsd support....

No, the biggest flaw of the Nexus 4 is the massive overheating issues.

Anandtech benchmarked the phone in a refrigerator and produced enormously better results. Outside of a refrigerator, the Nexus 4 suffers from massive thermal throttling.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

quickdry21

reply to HiVolt
16GB is enough for me. I store all my music on Google Music and only keep about 4GB on my phone for when I can't stream via WiFi.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

And $800... It's not unlocked either.

For $799 the 32GB is unlocked. Not that I'd buy. I need a new phone soon and waiting to see what RIM has up their sleeve.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
Yep, the Z is 2 days away.

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
Lemme know when the qwerty model comes out and I'll pay attention. My work-issued Bold is due for an upgrade.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

quickdry21

Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to quickdry21
Click for full size
Well the LTE seems to work great!

Dones

join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON
reply to quickdry21
My speed test with rogers

»i.imgur.com/ql1PKhH.png

Dat upload speed O_o

Robert
Premium
join:2002-03-11
St John'S, NL
reply to quickdry21
How's your battery life like?

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
reply to Dones
Nice!

Dones

Toronto, ON
reply to Robert
said by Robert:

How's your battery life like?

Sucks. That's all you need to know XD But really, I would unplug the phone from 100%, leave it on standby for 15 minutes, and it'd be at 96%.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
I think pretty much all LTE devices suck for battery from what I've read. Do you have a strong LTE signal? That makes a huge difference.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

Dones

Toronto, ON
That might be why. I have one bar of 4G at home, but I use my WiFi so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC
Data should turn off when wifi is on. However, it still will have the cell signal for calls and text.

I usually get -70dB in the house, but have seen it go to -93dB in some parts of it.
--