how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bigs22

join:2013-01-27
York, ON

[Serious] Idoor dryer venting kits

This is a question to anyone who can help or answer.....

Recently moved into a basement apartment in Toronto, i was told a washer and dryer would be provided however after a week or two of me moved in was told not till spring the washer and dryer would be provided. It stats in my lease that there is a washer and dryer. Anywayas i haave my own apartment stackablle washer and dryer and went ahead and moved them in, bought a indoor venting kit (the ones where it exhausts into a plastic cup with water) now my landlord is telling me it is illegal and violates the building code and heath and safety code and i need to remove the washer and dryer today.....

My question is does it and do i have to remove itÉ I have found nothing stating in ontario that it is illegal to use indoor venting kit for the dryer

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
said by bigs22:

This is a question to anyone who can help or answer.....

Recently moved into a basement apartment in Toronto, i was told a washer and dryer would be provided however after a week or two of me moved in was told not till spring the washer and dryer would be provided. It stats in my lease that there is a washer and dryer. Anywayas i haave my own apartment stackablle washer and dryer and went ahead and moved them in, bought a indoor venting kit (the ones where it exhausts into a plastic cup with water) now my landlord is telling me it is illegal and violates the building code and heath and safety code and i need to remove the washer and dryer today.....

My question is does it and do i have to remove itÉ I have found nothing stating in ontario that it is illegal to use indoor venting kit for the dryer

Well first off. Ask the Landlord to provide you with what was agreed upon in the lease. Second off Ask the landlord to provide you the documents validating his/hers claim.

Third. Ask the landlord where then washer and dryer are that are in your lease. Take them to the board win big!

shrug

@videotron.ca
reply to bigs22
Dunno if that's "illegal" but it's likely an insurance thing with his building (for washers and dishwashers.. a flood thing). But is it stated in the lease that no washer or dryer is allowed? If not, pfft.

Also, there are standard codes for the standard dryer vents that exist, but I know nothing of "indoor venting" or whatever your municipal or prov reg's say. So just unplug it, and nothing more. Keep it where it is, use it if you want, just unplug it after so say it's not in use. Frig em.

You can go to the rental board for a reduction in rent for him not providing what was agreed upon. Will be somewhere around 25 to 50$/month off.

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to bigs22
You mean like one of these?

»www.homedepot.com/buy/dundas-jaf···seL_TJvA

I'd be concerned about mould buildup, but other than that, tell him to go pound sand and provide you with the washer and dryer promised in your lease.

BTW, if he did have a dryer for you to use, how and where would that be vented?
--
I'm a man, but I can change. If I have to. I guess.

»shaner38.blogspot.com/

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to bigs22
They are illegal for a gas dryer; it must be vented outdoors. For electrics, I think they are a bad idea; but I'm not aware of any codes that they actually violate.

Bigger issue is the lease terms not being adhered to; IMO... If the LL is prepared to violate part of the lease; well, it's a slippery slope.

I'd ask them what they are prepared to do to compensate you for them not meeting the terms of the agreement...

bigs22

York, ON
reply to bigs22
Thanks to everyone above who posted i plan on taking the landlord to the tennant board as there are other issues as well i know i have that `female dog` nailed to the wall and i plan on going all the way lol

i spent majority of the afternoon googling indoor dryer vents and building codes and heath and safety act... and still as it doesnt state that they are illegal so iam guessing iam ok

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by bigs22:

Thanks to everyone above who posted i plan on taking the landlord to the tennant board as there are other issues as well i know i have that `female dog` nailed to the wall and i plan on going all the way lol

i spent majority of the afternoon googling indoor dryer vents and building codes and heath and safety act... and still as it doesnt state that they are illegal so iam guessing iam ok

Call your local city building department, they can tell you in 2 seconds flat.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

bigs22

York, ON
Call your local city building department, they can tell you in 2 seconds flat.

ya i gonna call first thing tmrw morn... i tried but forgot its sunday lol

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to bigs22
Whether or not they're illegal, they're just a bad idea.

OP, you have a keyboard problem. Go into Windows locale settings and delete the Canadian French/Multilingual Standard keyboards if you're not using them.

bigs22

York, ON
reply to shaner

I'd be concerned about mould buildup, but other than that, tell him to go pound sand and provide you with the washer and dryer promised in your lease.

BTW, if he did have a dryer for you to use, how and where would that be vented?
--

yes that is the one shaner.... also that is a good question as well i do not know how they would have done it ... iam guessing they would have cut a hole in the wall and vented outside

shrug

@videotron.ca
reply to shaner
said by shaner:

Not that model, but a similar one that vents inside was installed by Mike Holmes on TV in Ontario (for electric). So yeah I doubt very much it's illegal.

See this:
»www.homedepot.ca/product/heat-ke···t/964031

It's basically the same as what this person has with it venting inside.

And if Mike Holmes can do it, so can you.

Go get your retro-active rental discount.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
said by shrug :

said by shaner:

Not that model, but a similar one that vents inside was installed by Mike Holmes on TV in Ontario (for electric). So yeah I doubt very much it's illegal.

See this:
»www.homedepot.ca/product/heat-ke···t/964031

It's basically the same as what this person has with it venting inside.

And if Mike Holmes can do it, so can you.

Go get your retro-active rental discount.

i thought Holmes was vehemently against these things.

shrug

@videotron.ca
said by Last Parade:

i thought Holmes was vehemently against these things.

I believe someone in the Home Improvement forum posted the Holmes vid or promo material from when he installed it.

I would have thought the same. I don't care for it.

But it isn't illegal.

Grappler

join:2002-09-01
Ottawa, ON
He is against venting inside and that is not the kit that he has used. You are mistaking that venting kit with an inside lint trap, such as one of these:

»www.amazon.com/Air-King-AILT4-Li···02Q4U12K
or
»www.americanaldes.com/kitchen-la···nt-trap/

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
Venting a clothes dryer indoors is a bad idea as it introduces a lot of moisture into the living space and encourage mould growth. Still, better than nothing i guess.

A gas dryer has to be vented outside for obvious reasons.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
Tell your landlord to pay up then. None of that "wait till spring" crap. In the property that I manage, major appliances get fixed or replaced within a week (usually the same or next day). Lol wait till spring. What a piece of work

I wouldn't vent a dryer indoors.. Humidity and dust are major issues. If he's whining and complaining, tell him to get you the appliances listed on the lease.
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw