join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to kovy7

Premium Member

to kovy7

Re: [DSL] Bell FTTN 50 Mbps tier

said by kovy7:

said by HiVolt:

It looks like 50/10 is available for my phone number, on Bell's site... and I'm only served by a Lucent Stinger...

Oh yeah that's going to be the problem, what's going to be the problem is 50/10 with fibeTV.

Oh yeah, i see what you mean....

No FibeTV here, hehe... I wonder how long the stinger will hold up in terms of congestion once people start signing up for the 50meg tiers.
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7

said by HiVolt:

said by kovy7:

said by HiVolt:

It looks like 50/10 is available for my phone number, on Bell's site... and I'm only served by a Lucent Stinger...

Oh yeah that's going to be the problem, what's going to be the problem is 50/10 with fibeTV.

Oh yeah, i see what you mean....

No FibeTV here, hehe... I wonder how long the stinger will hold up in terms of congestion once people start signing up for the 50meg tiers.

Yeah... yours still has congestion ? I know Bell recently put a 7330 beside my stinger.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by kovy7:

Yeah... yours still has congestion ? I know Bell recently put a 7330 beside my stinger.

No, no congestion now (except teksavvy's), with bell login is fine...

I've seen 7330's put alongside the stingers in the area, except not mine!!! the horror!
HiVolt

HiVolt

Premium Member

Teksavvy wont be able to support 50meg dsl very well, since they can't even sustain 25meg in peak hours...

The 1gig AGAS model is horribly broken, they need to push for 10gig if they are to remain competitive.

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

Teksavvy wont be able to support 50meg dsl very well, since they can't even sustain 25meg in peak hours...

The 1gig AGAS model is horribly broken, they need to push for 10gig if they are to remain competitive.

Completely agree with you. This is an example where TSI cannot roll out the service because the underlying infrastructure is so limited that they can't compete effectively. It's not fair whatsoever to wholesale that 10Gige is not on the table as 1Gige links get fill soo quickly. We're talking 20 customers to fill up one AGAS link. That only changes to 40 customers when we consider 25Mbps client who are clearly being affected by congestion today, which you know very well yourself from all the tests you've shared with us re. TSI login vs. Bell login.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by creed3020:

said by HiVolt:

Completely agree with you. This is an example where TSI cannot roll out the service because the underlying infrastructure is so limited that they can't compete effectively. It's not fair whatsoever to wholesale that 10Gige is not on the table as 1Gige links get fill soo quickly. We're talking 20 customers to fill up one AGAS link. That only changes to 40 customers when we consider 25Mbps client who are clearly being affected by congestion today, which you know very well yourself from all the tests you've shared with us re. TSI login vs. Bell login.

I totally agree that we need 10gig. So, dont think I'm defending anything... that being said though. A gig link is way better than what you see on cable... even with 8 chans on DOCSIS.. you're talking a max of 200-240mbit per second for all those on that segment... the odds of many others having those higher speeds on that segment are low but I can tell you that I just activated 60 meg here on Cogeco and my hood only has 3 chans bonded... so, I can rarely actually get my full 60.. when you compare a gig link to that... it's actually plenty...

...oh and we will for sure be doing a 50/10 package.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to creed3020

to creed3020
said by creed3020:

We're talking 20 customers to fill up one AGAS link. That only changes to 40 customers when we consider 25Mbps client who are clearly being affected by congestion today

You can fit many more 50/10 and 25/10 subscribers in a 1GbE link since the likelihood that ALL of those 20-40 subscribers will attempt to use their MAX speed at the SAME time is very low. TSI has ~34Gbps of AHSSPI capacity for ~70k Bell-GAS subscribers and if the average speed is 5Mbps, that works out to 10:1 oversubscription.

As far as congestion is concerned, TSI says NONE of their 1GbE links were anywhere near saturation any of the many times people (myself included) have complained about nightly slowdowns over the past week or two so whatever is happening, it is occurring somewhere else and seems to be affecting @hsiservice.net (IPv6) worse than regular logins for some reason.

That said, I agree that 10Gbps is very much overdue. I doubt there are many carriers anywhere else around the world that handle 20+Gbps clients in 1GbE increments... it is grossly inconvenient and inefficient. Sadly, the tariff structure does not promote efficiency and sound design.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by InvalidError:

said by creed3020:

We're talking 20 customers to fill up one AGAS link. That only changes to 40 customers when we consider 25Mbps client who are clearly being affected by congestion today

You can fit many more 50/10 and 25/10 subscribers in a 1GbE link since the likelihood that ALL of those 20-40 subscribers will attempt to use their MAX speed at the SAME time is very low. TSI has ~34Gbps of AHSSPI capacity for ~70k Bell-GAS subscribers and if the average speed is 5Mbps, that works out to 10:1 oversubscription.

As far as congestion is concerned, TSI says NONE of their 1GbE links were anywhere near saturation any of the many times people (myself included) have complained about nightly slowdowns over the past week or two so whatever is happening, it is occurring somewhere else and seems to be affecting @hsiservice.net (IPv6) worse than regular logins for some reason.

That said, I agree that 10Gbps is very much overdue. I doubt there are many carriers anywhere else around the world that handle 20+Gbps clients in 1GbE increments... it is grossly inconvenient and inefficient. Sadly, the tariff structure does not promote efficiency and sound design.

We had a look and the ERX where all the @hsiservice.net logins terminates is well under capacity.

What's likely happening is that some of the AGAS links are better than others due to the maintenance... we keep grooming the links (i.e. actually forcing people off some to try to push them to the other links that were upgraded/big red button) but those 4 links are still way under.

That being said, if all the links were well balanced, we did see last Sunday, a heavy day where some of the links did hit the ceiling. Otherwise we're fine. We're looking to add 5 more links soon also.

It so happens that Gabe is sitting right beside me and I asked him to hit the big red button.. so if you just went offline. sorry about that. we're trying to force more users on those 4 links.

Rickkins
join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada

Rickkins to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

...oh and we will for sure be doing a 50/10 package.

Outstanding.....

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to TSI Marc

MVM

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

I totally agree that we need 10gig. So, dont think I'm defending anything...

Well, the CRTC said that Bell had to provide 10 gig links if an IISP like TekSavvy asked for it, so... what's going on?

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

no news... we've asked... many have have asked... ...still nothing *shrug*
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

It"ll be your Trustee in Bankruptcy dealing with Bell's request for payments on your 10G circuit setups by the time the CRTC gives the indies a fair shake.

All Bell has to do is delay just a little longer.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by MaynardKrebs:

It"ll be your Trustee in Bankruptcy dealing with Bell's request for payments on your 10G circuit setups by the time the CRTC gives the indies a fair shake.

10GbE will not make or break TSI but it would make their life much simpler and more efficient.

Question is whether or not the CRTC will buy Bell's excuse that E320s' limited 10GbE port capacity prevents Bell from offering that. This this argument is one of the main reasons behind the CRTC's ~50% reduction on Bell's CBB rates, I bet Bell would file for a new revision if they upgraded their E320s to something beefier for 10GbE wholesale support and the CBB rate would bounce back to ~20k$/Gbps.