Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Streetlight

join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: [Rant] Upsell instead of tech support

This is an interesting thread because it might be a solution to a problem I'd like to solve.

First: This service is apparently not available everywhere. The problem others have in getting info/the service may be the script reader CSRs may be reading scripts fashioned for your system's services. No AnyPlay in your area, no info in the CSRs script.

Second, one of the reviews of AnyPlay made a big deal that the hardware could be had for a one-time $10 payment. Wrong. It's $10 per month, at least that's what Comcast's FAQ says. Sounds like the DTA situation: two for free when first available, now $2 per month per box.

Third: Apparently 10 receiver devices - iPads, Android tablets - can be registered for use with the required broadcast device, but only one at a time can be in use. It also will not play any recorded programs. Of course, this could change if Comcast's cloud DVR becomes available.

This may be a good solution for some folks compared to a whole house solution where multiple boxes make use of a DVR. It's probably cheaper, easier to install, uses a household's WiFi, not the Internet, but has the the limitations that only one user at a time can use it and won't play recorded programs. I'm somewhat confused about its ability to access On Demand content - something about telephone calls being required. However, it will allow the user to view all the channels subscribed to unlike DTAs, and serves up HD programming.

My wife complains she can't view the programs on a DTA in her sewing room that she can on our SD non-DVR box in the family room. One of the reviewers noted that he could get this to work with an Apple TV box. Not sure whether the Apple TV gets the signal directly from the AnyPlay box over WiFi or is rebroadcast to the Apple TV from an iPad or iPhone since an iPhone/iPad App is required. If the Apple TV can use the same App, maybe it's directly through WiFi. Also, Apple TV only has HDMI output, not the old fashioned analog audio-video output our satellite tube TVs have. It would be nice if a Roku box would do what I want since it has audio-viodeo out. I've been looking at Sling Box as a solution, but it may only use the Internet and not household WiFi and am not sure what receivers it can use besides a laptop, such as Roku. I also wonder if Comcast can or will prevent viewing on a TV set. Remember, CC has an App that allows downloading On Demand programming to a tablet. The original App allowed the tablet to be hooked up to a TV with the proper cable. Great!. An update blocked this. Folks here have said they did this to prevent purchased tablets from replacing set top boxes, at least for On Demand viewing.
--
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.

Sherlock Holmes in
The Boscombe Valley Mystery
A. C. Doyle
Strand Magazine, October 1891

IowaCowboy
Want to go back to Iowa
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Then they should have a script that says "the new product and or service that you are inquiring about has not yet been launched in your area but I can take your e-mail address so we can inform you once its available".

One thing companies forget is that the company is overhead and the customers are profit. No customers, no profit. A triple play customer like me who forks over a boatload of cash should get better service than this. I should remind them DirecTV is just a phone call away and that if they want my money, they better serve their customers.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

timtom

join:2012-11-15

said by IowaCowboy:

Then they should have a script that says "the new product and or service that you are inquiring about has not yet been launched in your area but I can take your e-mail address so we can inform you once its available".

One thing companies forget is that the company is overhead and the customers are profit. No customers, no profit. A triple play customer like me who forks over a boatload of cash should get better service than this. I should remind them DirecTV is just a phone call away and that if they want my money, they better serve their customers.

please call directv do you want their phone number?

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..

said by timtom:

said by IowaCowboy:

please call directv do you want their phone number?

Better yet... »www.incrediblefta.com/specials/n···ers.html

F'em all.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek