All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo to Octavean

to Octavean

Re: Reddit: The Desktop PC is Ready for a Rebirth

I didn't say that other computer "formats" weren't useful, nor did I mean to imply that. But a desktop was designed for everything except mobility, and simply making it smaller and self-contained (laptop/notebook) was not necessarily the best alternative. Sure, the touchy, little devices are best for their intended purpose--taking it with you (only the next room or everywhere else); but I don't want to take it with me, I want to leave it on the desktop. I can't think of anything worse that always being constantly in touch with everything and everyone and vice versa. However, just because other devices can take over those things which they do better (personal preference), that never meant that the desktop was "dying". Frankly, I think it's the keyboard that really differentiates them; if you never need that kind of input control for extended periods, then you really don't need a desktop/laptop.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

I guess what I was trying to say is that there was a segment of the computer community that bought and used computers but didn't really want to buy and use computers. Given an alternative they would gladly take it and those that were previously counted among such users effecting PC sales may no longer be counted in such a way,...if they changed their buying habits

Some people are afraid of computers driven by a lack of understanding and or unwillingness / inability to learn. Simple solutions are a godsend for the quasi technophobe,.....

Desktop, All-In-One, laptop and so on,.....not everyone wants a computer. not everyone wants a tablet or smart phone either but for some people these dumbed down devices are all they are willing to manage.
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo

said by Octavean:

Some people are afraid of computers driven by a lack of understanding and or unwillingness / inability to learn.

So, you've met my sister.
said by Octavean:

...for some people these dumbed down devices are all they are willing to manage.

Ahhh, yes... where would Apple be without them.