how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DarkSithPro

join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ
kudos:2

Samsung Galaxy S4 will be running Tizen instead of Android?

Tizen Is The Fulcrum Samsung Can Use Against Android And Google

»www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/···-google/

Is Samsung going to ditch Google's Android OS in the near future? One poster had some good info!

"Anon 3 weeks ago

This is worth some clarification. Tizen is an opensource project developed behind closed doors. The Tizen Association is invitation-only industry consortium, renamed from similarly closed LiMo. The development is basically Samsung Linux Platform (SLP), developed since late 2007 (!) now with (limited role of) Intel. Finally, unlike the forthcoming Ubuntu Mobile SDK, Tizen SDK is closed source blob. Android went this way too – it closed the license in recent releases.

So at least Microsoft would not claim Windows Phone platform is opensource and thus saves the world of standards.

Technically Tizen is inferior to bada since the former had native application framework and Tizen SDK (1.0 and 2.0) only supports HTML5 – see »source.tizen.org/documentation/a···overview. Weird choice, poor differentiator because all the smartphone ecosystems support HTML5 already. Yet, having Tizen supporting standards will only help competitors, not Samsung itself. Quite lunatic, so Samsung will have to address this issue.

Regarding the “closed vs open” attribute, this is interesting one. From certain angle Tizen does more harm to open source than good, and such a harm to credibility does not come from Microsoft or Apple. They do not take Linux and apps, close them and claim they are opening up. Negative attributes of Tizen are as follows: closed SDK, development behind closed doors, NO communication (one blog entry per quarter in average, no answers to important user questions on Tizen forums).

How is this possible? You can probably buy a Tizen-like “blessing” from Linux Foundation for a yearly fee of $500K if you’re big corporation or alike. Samsung did just that in 2012, as it does every year with price-fixing cartels with many other organizations including LG. But we should expect higher standards in Linux Foundation. Now, trust in the Foundation was never this low.

Let’s give them some time. They’ll improve or disappear."

join:2013-01-22
USA
If this is true, I wonder what impact it would have on a ROM developer market.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

1 edit
reply to DarkSithPro
Personally, I think that would be like shooting themselves in the foot. Now hear me out on why.

One of the reasons why people buy into either Android or iOS is because of the platform's app stores. Going with a whole new OS would mean that everyone would have to wait for app developers to develop their apps for the Samsung phone which is probably not going to happen since developers also bitch about having to develop for both iOS and Android and for the most part, can't share code. Throw in a third one? Oh my God, there's going to be a revolt!

So starting with a new OS is not a good idea since there would be no apps in any app store for months and that means for the first few months a phone with a new OS is going to be essentially useless. What does that mean? Lots of returns.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

obeythelaw
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to DarkSithPro
I read this someplace else as well. I see too many manufacturers looking to do their own thing and want to move away from developed programs to building their own untested platform. Apple tried it with Maps and it was a failure. Instead of focusing on something that they do really well, it appears that these companies are willing to do a lot of things but at average quality, at best.

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
reply to DarkSithPro
This is silly.

The lessons learned from Palm / WebOS can't be that far from their mind.

Attempting to fracture the market with a 4th OS (iOS, Android, and Windows already being in place, and HUGE branded names) will fail miserably. Unless they have some massive ace up their sleeve, and their OS can clean the house while you're at work but still be in your pocket, this is dumb dumb dumb.
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by Koil:

This is silly.

Attempting to fracture the market with a 4th OS (iOS, Android, and Windows already being in place, and HUGE branded names) will fail miserably. Unless they have some massive ace up their sleeve, and their OS can clean the house while you're at work but still be in your pocket, this is dumb dumb dumb.

Intentionally, or not, you forgot Blackberry OS.
--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
said by juilinsandar:

said by Koil:

This is silly.

lol...it was unintentional, but does make a point.
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

Post Op
Premium
join:2001-11-06
inside out
reply to DarkSithPro
If it's running Tizen will the ringtone sound like Johnny Weissmueller and Carol Burnett?
--
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to DarkSithPro
Yeah, they're making record revenue off galaxy series, now is the perfect time to change things up and forgo billions of dollars.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
said by Alcohol:

Yeah, they're making record revenue off galaxy series, now is the perfect time to change things up and forgo billions of dollars.

I sense much sarcasm with this one.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
The force is with you then...

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to DarkSithPro
Much like the Touchpads of HP yore, someone will develop Android roms for the new devices.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

alter_ego

@193.247.35.x
reply to trparky
I thought that Android applications can run on Tizen devices...
(at least with help of OpenMobile's ACL)

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
reply to juilinsandar
said by juilinsandar:

Not even the business yuppies care about Blackberry anymore. And the arbitrary added fee for having a Blackberry is already a turn-off for anyone who might have considered it otherwise.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

i2Fuzzy

join:2009-02-25
Fort Worth, TX
reply to DarkSithPro
I would think they could run Dalvik to run Android apps. Look at BB10. No Google Play? Ok, fine. Amazon Appstore. Not to mention you could probably shoehorn gapps in there if you really tried.
--
Ali
Check Point Certified Security Expert

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
The emulator for android apps on BB10 is trash. It uses gingerbread.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.