subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

1 recommendation

reply to Blackbird

Re: Anonymous Hacks United States Sentencing Commission Webpage

I just disagree with your opinion of the ability of the US government to shut down things like this. In my opinion all the governments in the world, working together cooperatively (which can never happen) could not shut down internet hacking groups.

The US government hasn't shut down Anonymous. They haven't shut down Wikileaks despite their pressure on the governments of 3 countries whose governments play a part in delivering Assange to the US, and despite their suspected involvement in setting up the alternative leak site OpenLeaks which was talked about here but still has not gotten off the ground and has become a joke. The US government took a lot of years to kill Osama bin Laden. The US government to the best of my knowledge hasn't gotten one conviction upheld of any Guantanemo detainee (except for a handful that plea bargained). Those are a few recent examples on which I base my opinion.

The government has less power than you think, in my opinion. They have a lot of time, a lot of resources, a national security budget the public never gets to see, but they are often big and stumbling and are certainly not all powerful.

If every member of Anonymous was killed today there would be another equally skilled group doing the same thing inside a year.
--
my pants are parched and thirsty

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
said by fatness:

If every member of Anonymous was killed today there would be another equally skilled group doing the same thing inside a year.

Somehow I doubt there would be many volunteers to get killed if that was the result of joining Anonymous.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..

1 recommendation

reply to fatness
That is why I use Pirate Bay as a good example. If government entities cannot get that shut down which is on a smaller scale, how in the hell are they going to shut something down on a much much larger scale like this?

Simple answer...

They just cannot.

Shut down the internet for everyone? Nope, will never happen. The corporate ISPs out there will not say "Sure, we will just stop collecting the billions we make in revenue just for you!" Again, not gonna happen. Especially after e-commerce came about.

Anyone who thinks otherwise only fell into the falsehood of fear spewed out by them.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to FFH
We won't find out, will we? They won't all be killed and internet hacking like this won't be shut down.
--
my pants are parched and thirsty