share rss forum feed

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

I'm on a Budget of 500 Bucks and looking for a gaming laptop

I know that the budget severely restricts the quality of the games that I'll be able to play.
But that is the limit, plus it must be a laptop.

»microcenter.com/product/401328/A···ht_Black

quote:
AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M Accelerated Processor
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)
4GB DDR3 RAM
500GB 5,400RPM Hard Drive
8x DVD-Super Multi Double-Layer Drive
Multi-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader
AMD Radeon HD 7640G
10/100/1000 Network
802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED
Bluetooth 4.0+HS
15.6" HD Widescreen CineCrystal LED-backlit Display

--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

1 recommendation

Save up. You won't be happy at that budget.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to Snakeoil

I spent $450 on my wife's Acer laptop. You ain't playing shit on that thing besides maybe Farmville and Angrybirds.

Actually, I'm being kind of harsh. You can probably play some current games on medium settings.

You ain't getting much of a gaming laptop at $500. I researched every single laptop at that price range and the one I got was the best one for the money I could find.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

I understand that, but that is the budget I have.

It's better then what I currently have.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Snakeoil

If you want to play new games save up and get a real gaming laptop. If you only want to play old games, ie half life 2, then it would work.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Krisnatharok

I agree. But it's what we have.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

So why not wait?

Rifleman
Premium
join:2004-02-09
p1a
reply to Snakeoil

I'm in the same boat--sold mine and saving to replace it. This is the best gaming deal I can find at 1200.
»www.bestbuy.com/site/MSI+-+15.6%···3&st=msi laptop&cp=1&lp=7

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

Not bad. Another reason why I am on the 500 dollar budget is that I have to buy a total of 3 of them. 1 for me, 1 for each of my kids.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Krisnatharok

I asked the wife [the money controller]. She said No, because she wants to save up to buy a new vehicle to replace or 14 year old van.

I suggested we stash the 1500 bucks [we promised the kids new computers for christmas, so it's 500 bucks per PC]. And add to it over the next couple of months so instead of 500 bucks, we could spend 700 bucks each. She said no.

She can be hard headed like that.
I plan on getting a part time job soon, then I'll save up and upgrade the 2 home built boxes I have. I tried assembling a list yesterday, and it got to 520 Bucks.
If I could keep the total below 500, I could in theory build myself a desktop machine, and let he kids have the low powered laptops.

I would need:
mobo
CPU
power supply [current one is only 400 or 500 watts [I don't remember]
At least 4 to 8 GB of ram.
And a video card that is around 100 bucks or so.

I could use my old windows Vista disk for the OS, I don't want to pay for a new OS, unless it comes with the computer. Or I'd stick with Ubuntu, as it's free, or maybe try linux mint.

But upgrading the two boxes I have is for a later date.
also, one of my kid's e-machines fried yesterday. They are about 6 years old, and surprisingly, they worked well enough. I understand they aren't great computers, but they got the job done.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

If the psu is 500w you may not need to get a new one. Steam may be on linus but it doesnt have many games, so not sure that would be the best idea unless you just want to play counter strike forever.

That said for $500 you can get a decent gaming desktop. Especially if you have a case, psu, and hard drive.

an i3, mobo, 650 and 8GB ram would only run about $380. You could pump a few more bucks into the gpu if you want, or spend $70 into a 600-650w psu and still have like $50 to pump into other stuff.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

I've read that the i5 has come down in price, and is a better option then the i3.

One reason I was looking at AMD VPUs, is that they tend to be cheaper then Intel.

I could consider an i3 as long as the mobo would accept an i5 later [as I got the money for one. Though Windows is stupid, because it will refuse to work if I swap out the CPU. Where as Linux doesn't seem to care.

Steam for linux just announced a bunch of other games that are getting ported over to linux.

»steamforlinux.com/

I've never played Team Fortress 2 or counter strike. I typically play games on my PS3, or World of Warcraft, Rift , and maybe Defiance when it ships on the PC.
--

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

Yep the ones I have in mind »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13157325 and »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13157297 work with the i3/5/7.

the i5 is about $100 more than the i3 and you may need a better psu for it.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

Hmm, not bad. Both links are tempting.

Does the intel cpu come with a cooling fan?

I can survive without a laptop, but he kids want one to take to their friends. I have a nexus 7 tablet that suits my needs when I travel.
--

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

Yes, its not a really great one, but since the i3 can't overclock that doesn't matter its more than enough for stock speeds even for the i7. And for the money its hard to go wrong with an i3 for a budget.

The nexus 7 is really an amazing tablet, a full quad core arm cpu, I've only used it a little but I was impressed with it. My mom has one and she got a $30 wireless keyboard that doubles as a screen cover for travel, she only uses her laptop when she *needs* a big screen or to print something.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···14130827

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20231585

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13157297

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···19116775

550w Power supply that is rated for i3, i5, and i7:

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···17341050

Grand total: 489.95 without shipping or an OS.
I could use my Vista disk. Though I may have to call Microsoft to get a new key. Though it's a builder's edition of Vista Premium [It was a bundle when I purchased parts for my last PC].
Though I wouldn't mind going for windows 8, but that'll put me over budget. So, I could use like I said, Vista or a linux flavor.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

A power supply can't be "rated" for a CPU. That is nonsense.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···17182131

On such a strict budget, why are you wasting money on overclocked memory? I wouldn't even put that stuff in an X79 build. It's 1.65v too, so it will fry the CPU being overvolted and all that.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20148347

Better choice?

Between the power supply you suggested and the ram in the above link the total price is down to 435 and some change. That's before shipping. I just may give up getting me a laptop.

Though I dunno if I want to stick with windows Vista or go windows 8. Or Maybe forget windows altogether and just use a distro of linux. I'm basically 100% Ubuntu now. As I seldom use my windows box.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

If you're using an Ivy Bridge CPU, use 1600mhz, 1.5v ram.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Snakeoil

heres some 1.5v ram at 1600mhz »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20231314 Or 8GB ddr2 1.5v 1333mhz with a free 16GB flash card »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20231486

If you are basically 100% linux now just get linux mint(I personally prefer it to ubuntu) it has steam and some games, and wine/play on linux for some others. Minecraft too.

EDIT: heres another video card for only $5 more »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···14202011 7770ghz edition. Based on this it looks like it should be a better video card »www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gef···-24.html andhttp://www.tomshardware.com/forum/374794-33-7770

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

quote:
If you are basically 100% linux now just get linux mint(I personally prefer it to ubuntu) it has steam and some games, and wine/play on linux for some others. Minecraft too.

I may give it a try.
Though I want to do a windows partition and maybe install Vista, as my current vista machine will be gutted and used in the upgrade.
Though my understanding is that Vista will soon fall out under the support windows of Microsoft [which isn't a big deal to me]. I know win 8 has an upgrade disk, but I'd rather do a full install of an os and not an upgrade of an os.

BTW thanks for the help.
--

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to me1212

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···19116775

I just noticed the i3 you recommend has a built in graphics processor. Does that mean I could dump the video card and go for an i5, or i7 processor?

Or is a dedicated video card better all around [I think it is, after reading a few comments about just using an i3 to do processing and graphics].

But I don't know for sure as I haven't been following the hardware scene for awhile.
--

me1122

@cmsu.edu

No, do not do that! The hd2500 is about the same(a tad weaker) than an old nvidia 7800 . The 7770 I linked to is the ghz edition, so its clocked in at 1000mhz, and I think its a bit better than a 460, amost a stock 470 level at that speed, and still has more overclocking room especially if you were to over volt it. the 650 should be about 460 level. Just for reference.

And yes I know I'm not posting with my screen name, I'm on a lab computer at college waiting for class to start and don't want my info ran through a lab computer.

windows 8 is $40 until feb 1 I think if you wanted to grab it now is the time to do it.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

Ok, I'm still on the fence about building vs buying a laptop...

Here is the original laptop I was looking at [this is for the kids and I, so it would be 3 of them] posted for a refresher.
»microcenter.com/product/401328/A···ht_Black

quote:
AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M Accelerated Processor
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)
4GB DDR3 RAM
500GB 5,400RPM Hard Drive
8x DVD-Super Multi Double-Layer Drive
Multi-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader
AMD Radeon HD 7640G
10/100/1000 Network
802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED
Bluetooth 4.0+HS
15.6" HD Widescreen CineCrystal LED-backlit Display

I saw this today, at my local staples. A shorter drive then Microcenter.

»www.staples.com/Samsung-Series-3···t_985038
quote:
3rd generation Intel® Core™ i5-3210M 2.5GHz plus Turbo Boost Technology 3MB L3 Cache Processor; Enjoy an automatic burst of speed when you need it with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
6GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory, Expandable to 8GB
750GB 5400RPM SATA2 Hard Drive
15.6" HD LED Display (1366 x 768)
Windows 8

For what ever reason, they are giving 230 dollars in rebates. Not sure if it's instant or mail in.

The last one is 50 dollars more, and when I asked the clerk at the store, he steered me from:
»www.staples.com/HP-ENVY-dv6-7210···t_985045
quote:
Next Generation AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M Accelerated 1.9GHz up to 2.8GHz 4MB L2 Cache Processor
6GB DDR3 SDRAM Installed Memory
750GB 5400RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
15.6-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit display (1366 x 768)
Windows 8

to the i5.

*Note: I think the Staples AMD based laptop would be the better option then the microcenter AMD laptop. mainly because the hard drive and ram are larger amounts. Though the Staples one is 50 dollars more.
Both AMDs have the same video card, an AMD Radon 7640G.

I know, I know, I'm flip flopping between building/upgrading a disk top, to buying a less powerful laptop.
But the kids want laptops, and for what ever reason, I want to follow them. Even though, I seldom find a need to use a computer during the times I travel. A tablet can usually carry me over.

*edit*
Oj so if I go with upgrading my current box, go with the i3 and the radon video card. Sadly, I wo't be able to make a move on this until the 1st, so windows 8 is not an option, unless I buy it now. But I didn't see it listed at newegg for 40 bucks.

--

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

If you buy from microcenter the i3 will only be $99 and sometimes they have $40 off a motherboard when you buy an i3.

The intel laptop has the worst gpu of all the laptops you posted.

Trust me on this, if you want to game at all desktop is the way to go.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Snakeoil

You're going to be severely hadicapped dude, on all those laptops you posted. Yeah, you could probably get by on low settings, but if you're seeking gaming why limit yourself?

Decent gaming laptops are going to set you back $1,000.00 easily. I wouldn't even consider a $500 laptop for any kind of gaming.

It's either save the money and buy something you'll be happy with, or build a desktop for $600.00 that can play most anything.

Rifleman
Premium
join:2004-02-09
p1a
reply to Snakeoil

I sold my MSI GT780DX in November for 700 bucks and have been kicking myself since. It had a GTX570M in it and had amazing sound for a laptop.
The best deal for the same design and GTX675M I can find is 1400 bucks and should play anything out. Unfortunately I too have to save and tempted to buy a cheaper machine but just no comparison to the MSI.
»www.walmart.com/ip/MSI-Black-17.···wedItems

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Ghastlyone

I agree, but that is the budget we have for 3 computers [my wife aint budging, she is as stubborn as I am at times;)].
The boys play stuff like minecraft, league of legends, team fortress 2, left for dead, DDO [dungeon and Dragons online].

They are 14 now, so in another year they can start working and saving money for:
Car, insurance, gas, condoms [I hope they don't need them, but it's better to be safe then sorry], new gaming rig.

I'm still out on the limb as to what I want to do, I know the parts that were suggested wil get me a better desktop, then laptop, for about the same cost. Except I'll have no OS except linux [unless I decide to stick with the builders version of Vista I have, then I'll have to call MS to get a new key [I think]].
But I'd rather go with win 8, just for kicks, but that will add some extra money to the build.

Or I could get the laptop, then get my butt to work part time[so I can be home when the kids are, run errands for the house]., then build a better desktop for gaming at a later date, when I have cash saved up.
Which is the way I may go.
--

demir
Premium
join:2010-07-15
usa
reply to Snakeoil

In my opinion, you can't afford a gaming laptop given your $500 budget. If that really is what you have, you flat out don't have enough.

My suggestions :

1) Wait for Haswell to drop (Q2 2013)

2) Buy a desktop, spend $1500 --- share it between the kids and yourself. It's better to have one great gaming computer than 3 incapable ones.

3) Just wait and save up. You really need to spend more, especially on a laptop.

4) What the other forum posters said --- ad nauseum.

gaforces
United We Stand, Divided We Fall

join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA
reply to Snakeoil

You might be able to get refurbs, but not new for that price.
--
Let them eat FIBER!