Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to me1212

Re: I'm on a Budget of 500 Bucks and looking for a gaming laptop

quote:
If you are basically 100% linux now just get linux mint(I personally prefer it to ubuntu) it has steam and some games, and wine/play on linux for some others. Minecraft too.

I may give it a try.
Though I want to do a windows partition and maybe install Vista, as my current vista machine will be gutted and used in the upgrade.
Though my understanding is that Vista will soon fall out under the support windows of Microsoft [which isn't a big deal to me]. I know win 8 has an upgrade disk, but I'd rather do a full install of an os and not an upgrade of an os.

BTW thanks for the help.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to me1212
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···19116775

I just noticed the i3 you recommend has a built in graphics processor. Does that mean I could dump the video card and go for an i5, or i7 processor?

Or is a dedicated video card better all around [I think it is, after reading a few comments about just using an i3 to do processing and graphics].

But I don't know for sure as I haven't been following the hardware scene for awhile.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

me1122

@cmsu.edu
No, do not do that! The hd2500 is about the same(a tad weaker) than an old nvidia 7800 . The 7770 I linked to is the ghz edition, so its clocked in at 1000mhz, and I think its a bit better than a 460, amost a stock 470 level at that speed, and still has more overclocking room especially if you were to over volt it. the 650 should be about 460 level. Just for reference.

And yes I know I'm not posting with my screen name, I'm on a lab computer at college waiting for class to start and don't want my info ran through a lab computer.

windows 8 is $40 until feb 1 I think if you wanted to grab it now is the time to do it.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
Ok, I'm still on the fence about building vs buying a laptop...

Here is the original laptop I was looking at [this is for the kids and I, so it would be 3 of them] posted for a refresher.
»microcenter.com/product/401328/A···ht_Black
quote:
AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M Accelerated Processor
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)
4GB DDR3 RAM
500GB 5,400RPM Hard Drive
8x DVD-Super Multi Double-Layer Drive
Multi-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader
AMD Radeon HD 7640G
10/100/1000 Network
802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED
Bluetooth 4.0+HS
15.6" HD Widescreen CineCrystal LED-backlit Display

I saw this today, at my local staples. A shorter drive then Microcenter.

»www.staples.com/Samsung-Series-3···t_985038
quote:
3rd generation Intel® Core™ i5-3210M 2.5GHz plus Turbo Boost Technology 3MB L3 Cache Processor; Enjoy an automatic burst of speed when you need it with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
6GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory, Expandable to 8GB
750GB 5400RPM SATA2 Hard Drive
15.6" HD LED Display (1366 x 768)
Windows 8

For what ever reason, they are giving 230 dollars in rebates. Not sure if it's instant or mail in.

The last one is 50 dollars more, and when I asked the clerk at the store, he steered me from:
»www.staples.com/HP-ENVY-dv6-7210···t_985045
quote:
Next Generation AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M Accelerated 1.9GHz up to 2.8GHz 4MB L2 Cache Processor
6GB DDR3 SDRAM Installed Memory
750GB 5400RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
15.6-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit display (1366 x 768)
Windows 8

to the i5.

*Note: I think the Staples AMD based laptop would be the better option then the microcenter AMD laptop. mainly because the hard drive and ram are larger amounts. Though the Staples one is 50 dollars more.
Both AMDs have the same video card, an AMD Radon 7640G.

I know, I know, I'm flip flopping between building/upgrading a disk top, to buying a less powerful laptop.
But the kids want laptops, and for what ever reason, I want to follow them. Even though, I seldom find a need to use a computer during the times I travel. A tablet can usually carry me over.

*edit*
Oj so if I go with upgrading my current box, go with the i3 and the radon video card. Sadly, I wo't be able to make a move on this until the 1st, so windows 8 is not an option, unless I buy it now. But I didn't see it listed at newegg for 40 bucks.

--

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
If you buy from microcenter the i3 will only be $99 and sometimes they have $40 off a motherboard when you buy an i3.

The intel laptop has the worst gpu of all the laptops you posted.

Trust me on this, if you want to game at all desktop is the way to go.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Snakeoil
You're going to be severely hadicapped dude, on all those laptops you posted. Yeah, you could probably get by on low settings, but if you're seeking gaming why limit yourself?

Decent gaming laptops are going to set you back $1,000.00 easily. I wouldn't even consider a $500 laptop for any kind of gaming.

It's either save the money and buy something you'll be happy with, or build a desktop for $600.00 that can play most anything.

Rifleman
Premium
join:2004-02-09
p1a
reply to Snakeoil
I sold my MSI GT780DX in November for 700 bucks and have been kicking myself since. It had a GTX570M in it and had amazing sound for a laptop.
The best deal for the same design and GTX675M I can find is 1400 bucks and should play anything out. Unfortunately I too have to save and tempted to buy a cheaper machine but just no comparison to the MSI.
»www.walmart.com/ip/MSI-Black-17.···wedItems

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Ghastlyone
I agree, but that is the budget we have for 3 computers [my wife aint budging, she is as stubborn as I am at times;)].
The boys play stuff like minecraft, league of legends, team fortress 2, left for dead, DDO [dungeon and Dragons online].

They are 14 now, so in another year they can start working and saving money for:
Car, insurance, gas, condoms [I hope they don't need them, but it's better to be safe then sorry], new gaming rig.

I'm still out on the limb as to what I want to do, I know the parts that were suggested wil get me a better desktop, then laptop, for about the same cost. Except I'll have no OS except linux [unless I decide to stick with the builders version of Vista I have, then I'll have to call MS to get a new key [I think]].
But I'd rather go with win 8, just for kicks, but that will add some extra money to the build.

Or I could get the laptop, then get my butt to work part time[so I can be home when the kids are, run errands for the house]., then build a better desktop for gaming at a later date, when I have cash saved up.
Which is the way I may go.
--

demir
Premium
join:2010-07-15
usa
reply to Snakeoil
In my opinion, you can't afford a gaming laptop given your $500 budget. If that really is what you have, you flat out don't have enough.

My suggestions :

1) Wait for Haswell to drop (Q2 2013)

2) Buy a desktop, spend $1500 --- share it between the kids and yourself. It's better to have one great gaming computer than 3 incapable ones.

3) Just wait and save up. You really need to spend more, especially on a laptop.

4) What the other forum posters said --- ad nauseum.

gaforces
United We Stand, Divided We Fall

join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA
reply to Snakeoil
You might be able to get refurbs, but not new for that price.
--
Let them eat FIBER!

Rifleman
Premium
p1a
reply to Snakeoil
Was browsing craigslist and this piece of "Gaming Heaven" is listed. It's brand new and under budget. I can't see it being a gamer though. »orlando.craigslist.org/sys/3563305220.html

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
That Turion CPU was released in 2010 as meant to compete against the Pentium M low-power chips. Dual 1.8 GHz.

Nope.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Snakeoil
Start browsing craigslist and the For Sale forum. You may be able to find gaming PCs that are a couple years old. Like i5-700s w/GTX 460s or something.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Zupe
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY
reply to Snakeoil
I'm certainly not an expert in this area, so I could be way off, but for just moderate gaming, these two at $550 (I realize this is $50 over your budget, but it's the cheapest I saw at Newegg, you may be able to find something similar elsewhere for a bit less) look like they might be ok:

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···34215662

Acer Aspire V3-571G-6407 Notebook Intel Core i5 3210M(2.50GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M

4GB Memory
500GB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Windows 8
DVD Super Multi
------------------------------------------

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···34310625

lenovo IdeaPad G780 (59347664) Notebook Intel Core i5 3210M(2.50GHz) 17.3" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD DVD±R/RW NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M

4GB Memory
500GB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M
Windows 8
DVD±R/RW
--
Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but "Snowball for Windows"?

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
I found the Acer Aspire V3-571G-6407 at microcenter for 530. That's a local shop from me.

gaforces
United We Stand, Divided We Fall

join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA
The lenovo has 2gb video memory and a bigger screen.
--
Let them eat FIBER!

Blockfire
Sarcasm is my native tongue

join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
reply to Snakeoil
I would stay away from win8 for a while longer unless your pretty technically savvy. I've had loads of problems since upgrading from Vista a couple of weeks ago. as always, drivers are an issue, and a myriad of other small issues that can drive someone batty. my wife can't even navigate anything on it either (i find this acceptable personally).

Zupe
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY
said by Blockfire:

I would stay away from win8 for a while longer unless your pretty technically savvy. I've had loads of problems since upgrading from Vista a couple of weeks ago. as always, drivers are an issue, and a myriad of other small issues that can drive someone batty. my wife can't even navigate anything on it either (i find this acceptable personally).

I upgraded from Windows 7 to 8, and have not had any real problems with it. I did install ClassicShell to get the start button/menu back and to have windows boot directly to the desktop. After doing that, it feels virtually identical to Windows 7 for me, and I haven't personally run into any driver or other issues.
--
Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but "Snowball for Windows"?

cbrigante2
Cubs 20??
Premium
join:2002-11-22
North Aurora, IL
reply to Snakeoil
Just curious if the "budget" system on the Tom's Hardware site would be the best of both worlds for the OP? $500 per system...based on benchmarks...looks to be certainly playable based on the games he listed:
»www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bud···364.html

Rifleman
Premium
p1a
reply to Snakeoil
I saw this on craigslist. I guess you have to get it shipped to you. This has great sound and screen. It comes with a GT555M. 50 bucks over your budget. I may grab it payday if still available but it'll be a drop from the 570 I had.
»tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/sys/3553039965.html

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
reply to Snakeoil
That budget and laptop for gaming are a recipe for rage-quitting my friend. Need a solid 800+ these days for a new laptop that can "game".

PinkyThePig
Premium
join:2011-05-02
Tempe, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

The boys play stuff like minecraft, league of legends, team fortress 2, left for dead, DDO [dungeon and Dragons online].

I just cannot emphasize enough that going for 3 laptops at 500 a pop is going to leave you with 3 computers whose maximum capabilities will barely be above watching youtube videos. The only possible way this would work is if you found some screaming deals on refurbs/used and even then your gaming would be limited to playing everything on low.

The only possible way I could see any of this working is going with a sort of hybrid setup. e.g. 1 desktop 1 laptop, 1 desktop 2 notebooks, but 500 a pop is really just equivalent to buying 4 wheels for your car that are actually wheels for an ATV. Sure, you'll have 4 wheels but they won't do what you want them to.

If anything you will want to come up with a different setup. Do they both need to take it to friends house at the same time? If no you could do 700 desktop and 800 laptop.

If you could save one purchase for later (such as buying yours later down the road) you could do two 750 laptops.

If they wont be playing much on the laptops while at friends (e.g. just watching cat videos) you could go with two 350 netbooks and a 700 desktop.

Another possible option would be getting them tablets (such as kindle fires for 270 a pop) and 1 or 2 desktops with the remaining 1000.

If at all possible desktops are so much more cost efficient than laptops. You get practically twice the power for the same price as a laptop.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
$500 would be enough for laptops that can play tf2 and minecraft, aswell as l4d. Not sure about lol I know nothing of it.

demir
Premium
join:2010-07-15
usa
My phone can minecraft. This is a gaming PC --- let's set the bar higher than early 1990's graphics capabilities.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
The OP wants a pc that can play minecraft, I'm just saying for $500 he can get that.

Dude, minecraft has better graphics than early 1990's games I know I still play them.

cbrigante2
Cubs 20??
Premium
join:2002-11-22
North Aurora, IL
The $500 laptop builds from Toms Hardware can play BF3 at about 45 fps on high settings. I think it will run circles around Minecraft, but I was hoping for some of the opinions from the builders on here about that system.

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
reply to Snakeoil
I've seen Minecraft rape RAM in upwards of 4gigs while playing.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
Is that with stock texture pack or high res?

join:2013-02-21
reply to Snakeoil
I think the Acer Aspire V3-571G-6407 15.6-Inch laptop would be perfect for you. It features with Intel Core i5 3210M 2.5 GHz (3 MB Cache) CPU, 4 GB SDRAM, 500 GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive, 15.6-Inch Screen and NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M GPU
check link here »gaminglaptophome.com/cheap-gamin···der-500/