share rss forum feed

obeythelaw
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

remote access to windows pc and vice versa

I run my own business and lately, all of the software that I use has a cloud version available which I have been considering purchasing. I use a Windows PC at work so a lot of my Word and Adobe PDF files are on my windows pc. However, I want to be able to access those files on my Mac at home and vice versa. That is, if I had some files on my Mac I would like to be able to access them on my Windows PC at work. As a bonus, it would be great if I can also access the files on my iPad as well.
Years ago, I remember GoToMyPc as the big player. Are they the ones to go with or are there better ones? I want ones that are easy to use and work reliably. Any thoughts?

RWild
Them Or Us
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Cary, NC
I use LogMeIn Pro. Has FTP style file transfer, remote PC control, plus more. I routinely access by PC and Mac workstations from an iPad 3 but find the iPhone screen too small to do much.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

2 edits
reply to obeythelaw
I use Jump Desktop, which is great for the iPad and a great cross platform remote access setup overall, but has no file transfer support (and no monthly fee).

dscl

join:2001-07-15
Suwanee, GA
reply to obeythelaw
If all you need is access to files and not remote control of the other box, why not just install DropBox, works for PC,Mac and IOS.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to obeythelaw
I work at Citrix and we use GoToMyPC all the time. That said, I don't have to pay for it.

You can use the built-in screen sharing stuff in Mac OS X, including going to any PC or Mac or Unix box that has VNC enabled.

Also CoRD works well as an RDP substitute.

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
reply to obeythelaw
I'm a Splashtop user myself, works great, esp. with the 3rd gen iPad I have.

NefCanuck