spc
uniqs

squircle
join:2009-06-23
OTWAON10

squircle to d4m1r

to d4m1r

Re: SMTP Servers?

In my archive of around 2 million spam messages, 77% (±2%) have originated from dynamic, ISP-assigned IP addresses (nothing close to "nothing practically"). Most customer-facing email servers I've run into accept mail on the submission port (587), including Google's and Microsoft's. If you have a static IP, the port restriction is lifted, so if you want to run a mailserver that's a-ok.

(edit: typo'd)
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by squircle:

In my archive of around 2 million spam messages, 77% (±2%) have originated from dynamic, ISP-assigned IP addresses (nothing close to "nothing practically").

Obviously this can vary from server to server for a number of reasons but this is what I was expecting.
said by squircle:

Most customer-facing email servers I've run into accept mail on the submission port (587), including Google's and Microsoft's.

As any properly configured and administered mail server should be, it has only been a standard for over a decade.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Tell that to some Canadian ISPs ... I left one for precisely this reason. They would not open port 587, telling me to get Rogers to lift the block. Yeah, right.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by sbrook:

Tell that to some Canadian ISPs ... I left one for precisely this reason. They would not open port 587, telling me to get Rogers to lift the block. Yeah, right.

Some ISPs mail server setups are a joke and they don't know what they're doing. I'm not impressed with TSIs mail server setup either. But that is also why I said properly.