uniqs
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy

Re: HDMI cables

They're all rip offs! Two years ago when I bought all new home entertainment gear, I got five 6' HDMI 1.4 cables, five 6' CAT6 Ethernet cables and 50' of CAT 6 for around $27 bucks including shipping from Monoprice.

Go to a TV studio, you'll never see that overpriced Monster shit in use.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by Happydude32:

They're all rip offs! Two years ago when I bought all new home entertainment gear, I got five 6' HDMI 1.4 cables, five 6' CAT6 Ethernet cables and 50' of CAT 6 for around $27 bucks including shipping from Monoprice.

Go to a TV studio, you'll never see that overpriced Monster shit in use.

No, but go to a recording studio and you'll find Mogami wire all over. The cable madness originates from the audio world.

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS

Premium Member

said by sk1939:

No, but go to a recording studio and you'll find Mogami wire all over. The cable madness originates from the audio world.

Actually Mogami, Canare, Gotham sell decent stuff for professional applications that is not ridiculously overpriced. You'll see a lot of star quad used in broadcast. I see lots of Belden, Gepco, Clark, Boston cable in facilities around here as well.

The cable madness originated in the hifi (or should I say "high-futility") world, not in broadcast or recording studios, though there may be some spill over due to owners being duped into thinking the crazy expensive cables provide some "benefit".

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by ArthurS:

said by sk1939:

Actually Mogami, Canare, Gotham sell decent stuff for professional applications that is not ridiculously overpriced. You'll see a lot of star quad used in broadcast. I see lots of Belden, Gepco, Clark, Boston cable in facilities around here as well.

The cable madness originated in the hifi (or should I say "high-futility") world, not in broadcast or recording studios, though there may be some spill over due to owners being duped into thinking the crazy expensive cables provide some "benefit".

The retailers like to price gouge you on the cost of said cable though. I went to get a pair of 15ft Mogami's from AMS and they wanted $55/ea.

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

2 edits

ArthurS

Premium Member

said by sk1939:

The retailers like to price gouge you on the cost of said cable though. I went to get a pair of 15ft Mogami's from AMS and they wanted $55/ea.

If you compare similarly constructed cables from various manufacturers (star quad cable, neutrik connectors), you'll find the price differences are not that extreme. Do some comparison shopping here:
»www.markertek.com/Cables ··· ec.xhtml

AMS doesn't have that great of a selection of cables it seems, only listing a top of the line mogami cable or cheap CBI cables that even I wouldn't buy! Hard to make fair comparisons on their website.