how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LastDon

join:2002-08-13
London, ON

[Rant] Price Increases - TV gosh.

Man, I am one of those idiots that still has tv service... We subscribe to bell because of international stations etc.

But dam !! after taxes it used to be 99 bucks

Now after I guess their recent price increases 106 !!

We need a land line POTS and that went up as well !! i know it is in the bell forum about the price increase but f'ing sh.it these companies just keep gouging and gouging customers!

What do you guys do ? any cable cutters?

I would cut the cord but our parents are not very technical and thus we have limited options!

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:2

I'm with Rogers and I simply call them and they give me great retention offers. Even with the price increases I'm paying significantly less than full price. It does require a contract, but I haven't had any issues with Rogers, and I know I'll require the services for the next one or two years so it's not a big deal to me.

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
reply to LastDon

Cut the cord, install an antenna, and tell your parents you can't afford cable TV anymore and to live without it.

Enough of this BS. If people don't cancel their accounts, the gougers will never get the message.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

LastDon

join:2002-08-13
London, ON

I am looking into alternatives for them.. like a VPN and they can stream stuff if i make something easy enough for them..

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to milnoc

said by milnoc:

Cut the cord, install an antenna, and tell your parents you can't afford cable TV anymore and to live without it.

Enough of this BS. If people don't cancel their accounts, the gougers will never get the message.

that doesn't work in London.

what several of my friends have done is drop to the bottom package (about $35) and just something like AppleTV (or any other media player for that matter) so you can grab episodes of what you want online...a few of them even use US DNS services so they can use the US Netflix (better selection) as well as bypass "rights" in Canada and get programs directly from US broadcasters.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to milnoc

He's in London...which is way worse than Kitchener, which is worse than Hamilton. You're in Montreal and can cut the cable, I think London can pick up CTV 2, CTV Kitchener, maybe CHCH Hamilton, and TVO and Global, but I don't think much else.

Maybe FTA might be a solution.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to dirtyjeffer

When you US DNS, you can also watch the US networks online content. Might be after it has aired, but you can still get it.

Anyway, I got my VIP cable for $19/month, so for now I keep cable.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

lugnut

@communications.com
reply to LastDon

Like dirtyjeffer suggested, I'm also with expressvu and just before xmas I downgraded my package and got a couple of roku boxes.

Between the expressvu downgrade and my switching my LD plan over to MagicJack+ the year before I'm saving about $60 a month now on my total Bell bill.

chabu

join:2002-01-16
reply to LastDon

Dont get mad---get even...
there are options---just keep your eyes open...u will find them

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
reply to dirtyjeffer

Didn't know the OP was in London.

But just so you know, I don't watch TV anymore, even with the convenience of an antenna and many local digital channels. I realized how much time I was wasting just enduring the bloody commercials.

And to think I used to PAY for that crap!
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

graniterock

join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to LastDon

Netflix, Hulu and unblock-us meet 90% of my TV needs. You didn't really say what kind of international TV needs you have so it's hard to say how well that would work. For spanish programming I've been told the mix offered by Hulu and Mexican/Brazil netflix is decent.

Once set-up said services aren't too difficult to manage. Unblock-us isn't quite as good in some ways as a VPN, in particular it doesn't anonimize your connection. But it is easy to implement house would with a simple DNS change on your router. They also make it very easy to change countries if needed.

If you need a set top box I find the WD Live box both affordable and adequate although I'm sure others will have their own suggestions.

analog andy

join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC
reply to LastDon

I just cut the cord on my Shaw cable. I though I would miss it but I don't. The wife is a bit upset about no news but thats because I haven't installed an OTA for local news.

I've set up a HTPC and couple of WD TV live boxes but I think I can even do with out Netflix or Hulu as I'm surprised how much I don't jones for tv like I though I would.

Lothario

join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON
reply to LastDon

I cut the cord 18 months ago. Put up an antenna and have Netflix with unblock us. I don't miss a thing.

chabu

Thats good....but Netflix does not give u international channels which is what the OP wants

neochu

join:2008-12-12
Windsor, ON

said by chabu:

Thats good....but Netflix does not give u international channels which is what the OP wants

What Particular "international" content is OP looking for? What particular stations?

Those with content that comes from outside of North America is going to be a highly technical PITA to obtain if at all. (with BBC being an exception but iPlayer is VERY limited).

Most of that content is not legally or conveniently available outside of top-tier digital TV packages.

chabu

reply to LastDon

Someone already suggested FTA

kingb71

join:2000-10-09
Mississauga, ON
reply to LastDon

had the same thing happen to me.
Got my last Bell TV bill and it was over $80.
7 or 8 years ago that bill was $50.

I'd love to cut the cord, but the natives would get restless, especially my 6 year old dictator addicted to that stupid crack for kids known as Disney Jr.

I never even watch TV, with the exception of the odd soccer game I can sneak in when the 6 year old isn't around...

Cdnmoose

join:2010-08-24
Kingston, ON
Reviews:
·Distributel Cable
reply to LastDon

I am in the process of cutting the cord, leaving TSI 6/1(only get 3/.25) for Distributel, 10/1. Getting rid of landline as fiance and I both have cell phones. For cable we have Netflix with unblockus and a XIOS DS box running linux XBMC. Cogeco is getting the cancellation call very very soon!!!

Markie
Still Living Free

join:2009-07-11
Thunder Bay, ON
reply to LastDon

Shaw won't stop pestering us about having no teevee, our first deal from them was 6 months of free digital basic, promptly cancelled when the free ran out and now after a few months of no teevee they called again and offered to double our internet speed, voicemailbplus long distance, and loaded hd teevee with pvr for an extra $6 bucks a month on a 1 year contract. Done!

I think the trick is to have as basic as possible making you an enticing mark for sweet a$$ upsales. Paying $106 for teevee only kinda makes you a sucker, sorry to say and bhell isnt likely to cold call offering a deal that makes them less so grab the initiative and start sabre rattling.
--
»libertarian.on.ca/

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to LastDon

said by LastDon:

But dam !! after taxes it used to be 99 bucks
Now after I guess their recent price increases 106 !!

It is cheap entertainment. A night out for 2(movie, dinner, drinks) costs what you get for cable TV for a month.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Black Box

join:2002-12-21
reply to kingb71

said by kingb71:

I'd love to cut the cord, but the natives would get restless, especially my 6 year old dictator addicted to that stupid crack for kids known as Disney Jr.

I never even watch TV, with the exception of the odd soccer game I can sneak in when the 6 year old isn't around...

You need badly to cut the cord. Let him cry a little now, otherwise he'll cry a lot later with obesity, diabetes and coronary disease. Not to speak of bullying. Morons love to pick on the fat kid who can't run.
--
Keep It Safe, Stupid!
Yes, I CanChat. Can You?

analog andy

join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC
reply to FFH

said by FFH See Profile
It is cheap entertainment. A night out for 2(movie, dinner, drinks) costs what you get for cable TV for a month.
[/BQUOTE :

I haven't seen a movie since before Iron Man 2. I'd rather use that money to hit the pawnshops and buy up 1-20 DVD movies to watch.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to Cdnmoose

said by Cdnmoose:

... and a XIOS DS box running linux XBMC.

I thought the XIOS box was strictly Android but I see that you can put Linux and Linux XBMC on it. Can you or anyone else comment on how that's working out?
--
"The promoters of the global economy see nothing odd or difficult about unlimited economic growth or unlimited consumption in a limited world."
-- Wendell Berry

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to LastDon

Yah its getting pretty bad. I think the TV industry is on a downhill slide. We're now getting increases from both sides.

1) The TV Channels have much lower ratings than 10 or 20 years ago which means Ads don't generate the revenue they used to. They charge "carriage fees" to the cableco's for the right to broadcast their channel. These fee's are going up exponentially to try and make up for the lack of Ad revenue. The cableco's pass on these increases directly to the consumer. It gets worse. TV Channels are owned by media companies. Media companies want to earn revenue on all of their channels (even the ones we don't like). When the negotiate carriage terms with your cableco, they will force good channels to bundled with bad ones, so that they can earn carriage fees on the crappy channels too.

2) Cableco's are corporations. On top of their expenses skyrocketing they need to continually increase profits to keep their shareholders happy.

Overall I think the TV business needs to reform and tighten up. Possibly a basic cable charge (to cover infrastructure, expenses and profit) and A La Carte after that? Most people don't want 100 or 200 channels because they might watch 20. The Cableco's are going to price themselves out of the market.

For me the one thing keeping me on cable is Live Sports. To get TSN/Sportsnet all I need is a basic subscription. I can use the internet for anything else. My wife likes HGTV/Food/Animal Planet so I have to add on an extra package.

If someone made a set top internet box where you could subscribe to channels directly over the internet and skip out on the giant bundles you need to get from cableco's, I'd be all over it.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

said by zod5000:

If someone made a set top internet box where you could subscribe to channels directly over the internet and skip out on the giant bundles you need to get from cableco's, I'd be all over it.

That's easy, but not exactly legal.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

WaitForGodot

join:2009-01-07
reply to LastDon

Suggestions:
Go VOIP instead of expensive landline -> huge saving from monthly gouging. $5 approx per month and includes features such as voicemail, call blocking / filtering (very important for the robocalls), etc. as compared to $20 / $25 plus additional for those features. You can opt to only pay for the outgoing calls for a fraction of a penny a minute and save a bundle. Incoming and 1-800 calls are usually free.

I understand you have problems with FTA in your area -> switch to basic cable + install XBMC on PC or set top box.

I would suggest you first install XBMC on a PC and checkout the content that is available for free + more importantly it is on demand and add-free. There is content from all over the world. Once you are satisfied with content, then buy a box (approx $100) such as Apple TV, etc and install XBMC on it to hook it up to your TV. If you like the geek factor then you can even try the Raspberry Pi (approx. $35).

Cord-cutting can be a fun exercise, and you will save a bundle while you are at it.