spc
uniqs

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r to InvalidError

to InvalidError

Re: CNOC speed matching decision due next week

said by InvalidError:

Since the CRTC granted exclusivity of new speeds as extra incentive for TPIAs to migrate to aggregated sooner rather than later, I would be a little surprised if they turned around on this one... even more so now that there are less than 10 months left until the sunset clause on non-aggregated TPIA.

If the CRTC did not think it made sense to order Rogers to do something for a to-be-discontinued service when there was over two years left, it would make little sense to turn around at the 10 months mark.

So you don't believe it will be favourable to TSI? If it isn't, I can't wait till the end of 2013 for increased upload speeds...

As well, so are we expect this decision tomorrow, this Friday, next week Monday, are can it literally be any day of this week?
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by d4m1r:

So you don't believe it will be favourable to TSI? If it isn't, I can't wait till the end of 2013 for increased upload speeds...

As well, so are we expect this decision tomorrow, this Friday, next week Monday, are can it literally be any day of this week?

Unless the rates are adjusted for aggregated to not be so crazy then I am not looking forward to that move.
bbhog
join:2010-07-05
North York, ON

bbhog

said by 34764170:

Unless the rates are adjusted for aggregated to not be so crazy then I am not looking forward to that move.

I'm also fearful of what aggregated will bring to consumers. Seems it might bring higher prices and stricter bandwidth restrictions
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by bbhog:

I'm also fearful of what aggregated will bring to consumers. Seems it might bring higher prices and stricter bandwidth restrictions

You already have a general idea of what to expect since Start.ca is already on aggregated.

Another thing that the CRTC has to take into consideration is that if they do allow speed matching on non-aggregated, it would put Start.ca at a disadvantage for adopting aggregated from launch, which would be somewhat unfair when this is Start's only competitive edge for the time being.

And even if the CRTC did decide to force Rogers to offer the new speeds on non-aggregated, you would still be looking at a few more months before Rogers files new tariffs and the CRTC approves them - assuming the TPIAs do not dispute the rates if Rogers decides to adjust (inflate) non-aggregated rates to minimize potential prejudice to its aggregated TPIA clients.

So, worst case, the CRTC avoids shooting themselves in the foot and stick to its previous decision. Best case, non-aggregated ISPs will enjoy a short-lived victory and Start.ca who did the "right thing" by going with aggregated instead of betting the barn on end-of-life tariffs gets screwed by the CRTC and non-aggregated ISPs for the time being.

Whatever happens, everybody loses. Only thing that changes is who and how much.

Instead of wasting effort on silly/temporary stuff like this, that effort should go into having the aggregated per-Gbps rates sanity-checked (should be possible to get them down to about 8$/Mbps) and getting 10G aggregation into tariffs since everyone will inevitably be stuck with the former and need the latter to reduce recurring load balancing problems, which enables more efficient use of each purchased Mbps of capacity.

TakeOffEh
@teksavvy.com

TakeOffEh

Anon

said by InvalidError:

Another thing that the CRTC has to take into consideration is that if they do allow speed matching on non-aggregated, it would put Start.ca at a disadvantage for adopting aggregated from launch, which would be somewhat unfair when this is Start's only competitive edge for the time being.

I would say going Aggregated still gives Start one big advantage, over others like TekSavvy who are still on Disaggregated.

Access to Rogers' entire footprint. They can offer service in some areas where TekSavvy, et al, can't.

However, my understanding is that the rates on Aggregated are higher. Which is the reason other TPIA providers have been avoiding Agg. for as long as possible. So in that sense, yeah, Start has been screwed over.