|reply to MarcMaiden |
Re: [Connectivity] Uploads only working on 1 laptop in the house
Marc, has this behavior remained constant across all three modem/router deployments or is it new to this current Arris/Netgear setup?
Is behavior same when multiple devices are cabled into the router (and radio off) as when all are connected wirelessly? I'm assuming everything has been wireless but please confirm.
Please post modem & router model numbers.
Since you just joined today, be aware that BBR partners with ISPs - including Comcast - to offer members direct access to what has proved to be a higher caliber Tech support. Responses are slow but they stick with you until it's fixed and no PR chitchat BS like must be suffered via phone. After years of one guy from Comcast, Steve, being our dreamboat tech he has moved along and Comcast has assigned two new people. Not saying you should go that route but it's an option.
It's over here: »Comcast Direct
The behavior has not been consistent - the reasons for the modem switch was that after a week, my downloads wouldn't go higher than .5mb/s - uploads were non existent. Second modem (same model) they gave me was also bad. This set up works flawlessly with downloads, and uploads only really work on the laptop I used to set up and activate the network which is why I feel it's a DNS/IP address issue.
Router: Wireless N 100 WNR1000v2
I just hooked up one of the problem device to the router directly and the issue was resolved for that particular device which is interesting so I guess in this case plugging in directly once will fix the issue? Is this something common? I am a software engineer but I do not work with networking that much - I just moved out of my parents house for the first time where I've had internet set up for me my whole life haha.
shit. I wrote a reply then walked dog before posting. In the interim your new info makes my questions obsolete so deleted.
2am here and need to sleep.
Your new test sounds like a DHCP issue but first post suggested multiple simultaneous devices worked fine *except* if one attempted a sustained upload. That wouldn't be DHCP.
G'luck with it!
Figured it out!
The MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) was set too high - It was 1500 which should be ok for comcast, but I guess it was sending packets that were too large which was crashing my network - Not sure why the difference, but setting it to 1470 did the trick!
said by MarcMaiden:
setting it to 1470 did the trick!
Hmm. That doesn't make sense to me but, hey, you got it working.