Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

vikingisson

join:2010-01-22
Mississauga, ON
reply to d4m1r

Re: SMTP Servers?

If you can run a server better than TSI then send a message to them requesting that SMTP be unblocked. It's up to you to protect yourself but I did it years ago. A simpler solution vs speculating.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
said by vikingisson:

If you can run a server better than TSI then send a message to them requesting that SMTP be unblocked. It's up to you to protect yourself but I did it years ago. A simpler solution vs speculating.

It would be cool if they could lift the block on more advanced users that are knowledge enough to secure their environments but even if they wanted to do that, I doubt they could (at least for cable subscribers) because of the lack of static IPs.

Anyway, back on topic....I have decided to use Google's services instead of TSI's to route my mail servers outbound mail, but I may change my mind in the future.
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

vikingisson

Mississauga, ON
It is on topic, just ask to remove the block. It's already cool...

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
said by vikingisson:

I don't see how they could do that for cable. It is pretty simple to do for DSL.

vikingisson

Mississauga, ON
said by 34764170:

said by vikingisson:

I don't see how they could do that for cable. It is pretty simple to do for DSL.

What would be the problem? They just remove the block

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
said by vikingisson:

What would be the problem? They just remove the block

How do they know who is who once your traffic reaches their network?
I don't know exactly what point in their network they're blocking the traffic but in theory even for a dynamic IP user it is easy enough with DSL since you login via PPPoE and can have access list rules setup based on the RADIUS db on a per user basis. With cable that isn't possible.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
Rogers block at the CMTS router ... i.e. they don't forward request on port 25 onward from the CMTS router for any destination but the Rogers Yahoo! outbound mail SMTP servers. They can't do it selectively because they would need to do it on IP address and that information isn't available in a timely manner at the CMTS router and because Rogers cannot allocate static IPs with their system (they haven't worked out a viable way to do it since their network is so dynamic), there's no way to do it.