mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to TelusAnonUse

Re: VPN - START Cable customer

Running the VPN on the router, or on the PC doing the downloading?

My experience to date with VPN on routers, even FAST routers, is that they choke the connection trying to keep up with the crypto. Running it on a fast enough PC gives me wire speed (30-45mbits/sec download). Running on a router chokes things down to 10-20mbit/sec, as does running it on a low-power Atom-based netbook.

Cheers

TelusAnonUse

@shawcable.net
reply to Perma

I have PIA with a Telus 25 and Eastlink 20 connection. In either case, with PIA running (I have a tomato router on each connection) I have never gotten more than about 3mbps while downloading, no matter if I'm using a US, Canadian or European setup. Eastlink sucks at any time (that 20 mbps connection usually runs around 5), but Telus can rock the full bandwidth without the VPN running.

Perma

join:2011-12-20
reply to neuromancer1

Funny, I have amazing speeds with them, even when I'm connected to a server in Chicago. I download, stream netflix, and play games online while maintaining a solid ping.

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2
reply to neuromancer1

What was your actual issue? I'm curious..

neuromancer1

join:2007-01-22
York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Guru

said by Guru:

said by Perma:

privateinternetaccess.com is the cheapest by far and has the most geographical options with unlimited shipping. You can pay anonymously by bitcoins, or TD money transfer, they also use shared IP's and keep 0 logs.

+1

-1 Crappy speeds, bad customer service, doesn't honor policy's. Don't signup with these guys they're the Bell Canada of VPN providers.

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Perma

said by Perma:

privateinternetaccess.com is the cheapest by far and has the most geographical options with unlimited shipping. You can pay anonymously by bitcoins, or TD money transfer, they also use shared IP's and keep 0 logs.

+1

Perma

join:2011-12-20
reply to DrugTito

Unblock-US is a not a VPN, you're just changing your DNS. privateinternetaccess.com is the cheapest by far and has the most geographical options with unlimited shipping. You can pay anonymously by bitcoins, or TD money transfer, they also use shared IP's and keep 0 logs.