uniqs
share rss forum feed

i LOLd

@videotron.ca

Toking Tourists

I don't know about you guys/girls, but the headline made me chuckle

Legalize pot and reap the benefit from influx of toking tourists
»news.nationalpost.com/2013/01/27···iberals/

What do you think? Would it create lots of high paying jobs? Boost the economy?

Pitfalls? What would they be?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
I'd open a store the day after,of course I'd have to refrain from "sampling' the merchandise.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
said by elwoodblues:

I'd open a store the day after,of course I'd have to refrain from "sampling' the merchandise.

Must watch that "controllable net profit"!

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Would you even have the motivation? If so, open up a snack bar next door...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by urbanriot:

said by elwoodblues:

I'm not a "munchies" guy, I can't ever say that I've had the urge to chow down after partaking.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by elwoodblues:

said by urbanriot:

said by elwoodblues:

I'm not a "munchies" guy, I can't ever say that I've had the urge to chow down after partaking.

Still, I suggest stocking Doritos.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

joeblow3

join:2000-12-27
London, ON
reply to i LOLd
Best to look at the current situation in the Netherlands. They allow the sale on marijuana in "coffeshops". Just recently they are looking at a law than bans the sale of weed to non-residents.

Not really sure of the reasoning..."to promote health and fight crime."

Links:
»goamsterdam.about.com/b/2011/06/···hops.htm

»in.reuters.com/article/2011/05/2···20110527

Bill

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

To make money you would need a grow-op, not just a store front since it would be regulated and taxed to death. No different than opening a cigar shop and selling smokes.

Then you would need something to draw the crowds and tourists of all ages, and offer them something to do and see rather than just sit on their butts to stare at your wall with the roaches running across it.

Then you would need a set-up for a winter grow-op.

I wonder what the insurance rates would be like for each thing?

And of course the tourists would 95% be American 18+ year olds. So you better have a bed & breakfast too, as well as access to beer and strippers.

So after some careful 5-minute planning I think you and I should chip in together and open two shops (one QC and one On) which features the following:

1. We buy some farm land to grow crops (we can give hay-wagon tours to stones Americans and show them what they just smoked (but didn't inhale).

2. A tour of our processing shop where it dries (but we won't show them the underground bunker where 20% of the crop is diverted to extract oil and press into hash).

3. We offer them a coupon for free entrance and 2 free beer at a strip bar. Free ride there and back.

4. Midnight toking tour of either Montreal or Toronto

4b. Optional tour of that Toronto area where people get shot, for 50$ more. We will call this the toking in terror ride.

4c. Montreal's toking with terror ride will be a bus ride over any given overpass.

5. Then we gotta shack em up for the night some place. Haven't figured this one out yet. But either a camp ground near our farm, or a Yurt for the winter (kinda like an Indian winter camping toke tour).

6. Ice fishing for 60$ more with special blue-ice labeled pot and a micky of cheap scotch.

Now to think of a 2 week pot adventure....

So we have sex and drugs and booze taken care of. Just need some rock n roll. So Guess we will need to hire a band.

So elwoodblues and I are in for 25-grand each. We need one more Canchat person to put up 25K to get the project off the ground.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to joeblow3
No the govt backed down, merchants were going to ignore afraid it was going to affect tourism

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to hm
I'm.In, but I'd put in 26k to be the majority owner.

hm

@videotron.ca
said by elwoodblues:

I'm.In, but I'd put in 26k to be the majority owner.

Don't worry, I don't toke. So you can be the majority tester.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

I think you would have an abundance of Q.C. applicants.
--
~ Project Hope ~

Thingamajig
Premium
join:2004-11-03
B.C.
reply to i LOLd
...so how many of you can imagine picking up a few joints, sitting down around the kitchem table with your parents and firing up a fatty?!? Boogles the mind.
--
Some hero's wear capes, mine wear combat boots.

Thingamajig
Premium
join:2004-11-03
B.C.
reply to i LOLd
Coming soon to a neighbourhood near you!

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to EUS
said by EUS:

said by elwoodblues:

I think you would have an abundance of Q.C. applicants.

From what I hear the entire town of Hudson.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada
Ha ha, quality control, not quebecers, although now that I think of it, that would be true too.
--
~ Project Hope ~

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
While I'm against the Fiberals in general, they are onto something here. What they're also neglecting to mention (so they don't rile up the police lobbies) is that there'd be significant police budget cuts and need for fewer cops if they stopped cracking down on grow ops other than in a tax collection role.
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by FiReSTaRT:

While I'm against the Fiberals in general, they are onto something here.

The Liberals passed on their chance to do this under Jean Chretien (summer of 2003 was it?) so I'm not confident they'd be talking about this if they thought they had a serious chance at power again.

I'm all for it, but I've heard it from the "Fiberals" one too many times.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada
reply to FiReSTaRT
There are too many very powerful vested interests to allow legalization.
--
~ Project Hope ~

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to FiReSTaRT
said by FiReSTaRT:

While I'm against the Fiberals in general, they are onto something here. What they're also neglecting to mention (so they don't rile up the police lobbies) is that there'd be significant police budget cuts and need for fewer cops if they stopped cracking down on grow ops other than in a tax collection role.

I dunno about that. It would just be a re-allocation of funds since driving under the influence is still a crime (even if pot) as far as I know. But how would they test for that? Random blood tests, heh.

But yeah it would free up the courts and other resources.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
said by hm :

I dunno about that. It would just be a re-allocation of funds since driving under the influence is still a crime (even if pot) as far as I know. But how would they test for that? Random blood tests, heh.

Not everybody drives while under the influence of marihuana. You'd have a small number of hard-core idiots but it's the same as with the drunks. If we used actual impairment tests involving reflexes, memory and motor ability, many people who had a few puffs would pass with flying colors and many people of a certain age group that packs the polls and who haven't taken a single toke in their lives would fail it. That's why that one will never fly.
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

FiReSTaRT
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
reply to EUS
said by EUS:

There are too many very powerful vested interests to allow legalization.

The biggest ones, in the order of appearance, being:

1) Organized crime
2) Law enforcement community
3) Those who derive income from incarceration (bigger factor south of the border where private prison operators are actively lobbying for tougher laws, mandatory sentencing and longer sentences)
--
—George Bernard Shaw

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to hm
said by hm :

said by FiReSTaRT:

how would they test ? Well for starters just have to listen for the ones with stereo cranked up to eleven.