Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to gozer9

Premium Member

to gozer9

Re: Jailbreaking cell phones to become ILLEGAL at midnight

That is precisely what I'm saying. It will work. Just because it is locked to a network doesn't mean a thing.
Juggernaut

Juggernaut

Premium Member

By the way, carriers have not implemented a blacklist for lost / stolen devices yet.
gozer9
Premium Member
join:2010-08-09
Rochester, NY

gozer9

Premium Member

Yep they have just used the network lock. Like I said it just stops the average Joe from stealing your new phone and activating it on another network. And bad idea to take it to the network its locked to they would just call the cops on you. But I agree if the carriers would use a list and share it that would help.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

No one is going to call the police if you turn in a phone. Seriously.

Lagz
Premium Member
join:2000-09-03
The Rock

Lagz to Juggernaut

Premium Member

to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

By the way, carriers have not implemented a blacklist for lost / stolen devices yet.

I remember when sim cards were first being discussed and implemented at AT&T, Cingular at the time. Management was literally creaming themselves from the thought of having increased sales due to stolen phones.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Yep, there is no downside for them, merely more money. Until a inter-connected carrier blacklist is in place, only the dishonest win. And, they will have it unlocked, legal or not.

avenison
join:2009-12-10

avenison to gozer9

to gozer9
A few things. Since Rogers was mentioned, glad to hear they allow users to unlock now, as they previously flat-out and absolutely refused. At the same time, I feel it is obvious that ANY charge for doing so (once the device is paid off) should be just as illegal as the user unlocking it.

@gozer, I believe I've seen it stated that many overseas countries have a fairly integrated system for blacklisting individual devices, but there is no such system in place in the Americas. I have worked for a large telco here, and at that time the technical staff could not even see the IMEI of a cutomer's current device, nevermind blocking one. In most cases the number wasn't manually logged on their account either, so unless they kept the original box there was no way to know the IMEI anyway. When a call was received about a lost phone, the procedure was to place a block on their subscription to prevent fraudulent charges, and inform them that we could not magically brick their device. There is no incentive for your provider to block your phone - it could still be used on any other network, so they might as well get the new owner's business... And sell you a new phone while they're at it. Many providers now provide location services so you can see where your device is, provided you installed the software before you lost it (and pay the monthly fees...) But how this would help if it's in someone's pocket is unclear.

Finally, we should try to keep in mind the people in the factories who are making these devices, and the questionable practices there. I have no problem believing that an iPhone or other modern device is actually worth the unsubsidized price, but I don't think it's overly cynical of me to doubt whether most of that money is going where it should.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

I think it was the CBS show 60 minutes that stated an iPhone costs Apple $8 to make. Which is not impossible considering the bulk they buy the materials in. I am guessing all phones are a similar or lower production cost. So there is some serious bucks being made in the world of phones and tablets.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

Reported production cost on an iPhone 4s is a little over $130 usd; iPhone 5 is rumored to be in the $160-$170 range, with the bulk of the cost being the display/touch screen.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

1 edit

2 recommendations

dave to Lagz

Premium Member

to Lagz
said by Lagz:

Management was literally creaming themselves from the thought of having increased sales due to stolen phones.

Literally? And you'd know this because you wash their underwear?

Lagz
Premium Member
join:2000-09-03
The Rock

1 recommendation

Lagz

Premium Member

said by dave:

said by Lagz:

Management was literally creaming themselves from the thought of having increased sales due to stolen phones.

Literally? And you'd know this because you wash their underwear?

Well, it could have been my good looks.

avenison
join:2009-12-10

avenison to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd
@Kearnstd / LazMan: Yes, the cost to Apple is low, but if everyone involved was being fairly remunerated for the work being done that would not likely be the case. Personally I would be happy to pay $600 dollars for a device which is professionally manufactured by people who are not forced to work 18+ hour shifts, exposed to harmful chemicals to cut costs, and severely underpaid.