shawnyerkes
Premium
join:2010-11-09
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

1 edit

[Connectivity] Connectivity / Speed issues / Bethlehem PA

I have noticed in the past week that speeds were slow but today during peak times (12-10PM) I was dropping 1-9 percent of my traffic. High latency and jitter - 90-300 ms coupled with packet loss. Called RCN, they see me fine, no modem issues, no router, redirect connection / the normal drill. I reported this issue is only during peak times. I was getting 0.69 down and now at 3AM EST I'm getting 25, which is still not much considering I paying for top tier 75. I understand this is broadband, I understand 75 is not a CIR, but the level of packet loss and jitter is unusable. Even with TCP based traffic. When my wife can't browse the web that is where I draw the line.

RCN, if you are reading this, you have a network issue, but I think you already know this, I suspect upstream congestion from my trace tests
I realize I'm crazy to pay for top tier speeds ;( we) are just not going to get it. I would advise others to scale back too, if they are seeing the same thing. Why can't the carrier provide a min CIR SLA? Seriously if you pay for 25/50/75 can't they at least provide 1M.
Is there not any regulatory body to watchdog broadband carriers? ITU or someone else?
So is wrong to ask for 1.3 percent of what I'm paying for?
Please tell me I'm not the only one. Thanks for any feedback.

Encoded Mac: 0051b8a0184004ba34bcc74914c6f0b452a5bb49

jackal2001

join:2002-10-04
Bethlehem, PA

You are not the only one.

My thinking as it IS congestion as my speeds are great at 6:30am and then below 1/2 when I get home from work. Sometimes below 20Mb/s as well.

»[Speed] Bethlehem slow internet at peak hours

steverweaver

join:2011-09-02
Bethlehem, PA
reply to shawnyerkes

i am only getting 5 mbps right now, I have no idea whats going on.. Ever since the hurricane.. I have been having problems.. before that, i had 75mbps every day, all day

shawnyerkes
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

What is our course of action here? My bandwidth was 0.22-21M today. Should I just downgrade my service? I'm using my LTE to work when it gets really bad. I feel like I'm getting taken. Does anyone else have a ticket open with RCN?

If they just admitted there is an issue and credit me for the lack of service I would be much more understanding. But they keep telling me there is no problem.

If they don't admit there is an issue, I don't see that as "reasonable" Do I have to go door to door and get complains ticketed?

»www.rcn.com/lehigh-valley/polici···addendum

7.1. RCN will make commercially reasonable effort to assure that the Service is available to you twenty-four (24) hours per day, seven days per week. You acknowledge and agree that it is inevitable, however, that there will be interruptions of service. When possible, RCN will post online advance notice of planned outages for network or system upgrades. RCN shall take reasonable measures to minimize unplanned service interruptions. Rider C

7.2. The Service provided is an ethernet-like IP service over a shared bandwidth connection, and users will contend for bandwidth. RCN will undertake reasonable efforts at network management, traffic analysis, operational procedures and user policies that ensure appropriate bandwidth at all times for as many customers as possible. Rider D

We need a customer advocate to advance this issue.

shawnyerkes
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

Click for full size
speedtest midnight 2-4-13
So a tech came out 2-1 @ 8:45AM. At that time, my speeds were great. I explained it is during peak times and he didn't seem surprised. He said this was an issue before less than a year ago and they ended up splitting the head-end into 2(south side bethlehem), and thinks they will need to do it again. He also mentioned that in the last 2 weeks he has been getting more of these calls. He has on-time and professional, impressed he didn't fight me at all. Also said, if we want this fixed......open tickets with RCN.

So I was getting ~70 at 08:45AM and now ~4 at 00:00.

I don't know any other way to prove it gets this slow.

negativeduck
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-14
Centreville, VA
kudos:1

Hey Shawn, I don't know if you saw it I had responded with something about your connection in one of the other threads you were in...

"
Shawn: I still have to look into yours I believe you are on the same leg as some of the university dorms so usage in this area tends to be really high. While weve got equipment on order and have been waiting on delivery for a bit now Im trying to see what we can do in the interim.
"

So that said, we've got equipment on order and this is one of the locations that we want to hit. There is a *TON* of bandwidth going into this area actually more than any other location in the company but they are just eating it up.
--
Bryan Laird
RCN Engineering

shawnyerkes
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

Thanks Bryan, I did miss that message. I was working last night till 3:39AM and everything dropped for about 20 minutes.

I know the dorms use the Lehigh network, but there is a bunch of students in appts. It seems mainly after 7PM-7AM that I get 25 or less. The high latency and packet loss is when I drop VPN. My Shoretel phone drops, I can't work

I'm glad you are getting more gear in, this seemed to happen about a year ago too for 2 months.

Please let me know when the upgrade is scheduled. Everytime this dropped for a long period I need to get in a car and drive to our Bethlehem COLO to work. PITA

Make it easier on yourself, give all students a 10% RCN discount, and CAP their monthly bandwidth to 200GB. If you are moving more than that and also a student, it is not all legal traffic.

Or make a student deal but only on the 25M plan. On second thought it is not their money, a discount would do nothing.

Upgrade Sir!

negativeduck
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-14
Centreville, VA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

said by shawnyerkes:

Or make a student deal but only on the 25M plan. On second thought it is not their money, a discount would do nothing.

Upgrade Sir!

I just spit out my coffee.... almost
--
Bryan Laird
RCN Engineering

shawnyerkes
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

Just a quick update....Yesterday and today the packet loss & speed become unusable.

I know hardware upgrades take a bit of time, but do you have any ETA?

Also on another note, I find it odd that I can access RFC1918 addresses. e.g.: I thought I was connected via VPN, and I was troubleshooting an issue by pinging to 10.20.1.2 and after I did a traceroute I was still on the RCN network. After another minute or two I could see a ton of data I won't expect would be accessible from the CE. Did someone drop an ACL or is this normal?

Thanks,
Shawn

shawnyerkes
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

Click for full size
Bryan, this appears to be more than just a South Side Bethlehem issue.

See:
[Connectivity] Issues in PA
[Connectivity] Unstable latency in Easton/Bethlehem PA
[Connectivity] Speed Issues Easton PA

I'm getting 5-15 percent packet drops after 8PM.

I know you understand the problem but when is there going to be a remedy? We are all paying for this service and this is a chronic issue (daily) I know you are not the cause of my problem but what would you do? I don't want to be a PITA but don't you feel this is a major issue?

Whose attention do I need to get? Just let me know who to call / speak with.

Thanks Bryan,
Shawn Yerkes
Expand your moderator at work

shawnyerkes
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

Re: [Connectivity] Connectivity / Speed issues / Bethlehem PA

Click for full size
Someone should tell Marketing to stop this AD campaign. It is insulting.

Some credit would be great, but they won't admit there is any issue, so it is a fighting match to get anything back. There should be a single “local affected area" ticket number which we can ref with customer service to get a credit. Then if anyone from this area calls we don't have to fight with customer service. I really don't have the time to complain to get $50 dollars off. Not only that, but RCN charged me $50 for a tech to come out, just so the tech could tell me. "Yes, there are speed issues in this area” (They sent 2 techs; the second said I wasn't home which cost me money for nothing)

I just ordered internet service from another provider. I don't want to leave, but don't see much changing anytime soon. I have maxed my LTE transfer limits and need reliable IP transport to work at night.

Other than Bryan, who is Director Technology at RCN, is there no customer service people that read this forum?

If we want action we would need a single case number / incident ID, to all call and ref. Single calls are just not going to get attention.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
reply to shawnyerkes

(topic move) [Connectivity] Connectivity / Speed issues / Bethl

Moderator Action
The post that was here, has been moved to it's own new topic .. »[Connectivity] Connectivity / Speed issues / Bethlehem PA

shawnyerkes
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
reply to shawnyerkes

Re: [Connectivity] Connectivity / Speed issues / Bethlehem PA

So is there any update on this yet? Great speed in the day and near nothting at night? Is this just to be expected, new normal?