share rss forum feed

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to Krisnatharok

Re: Desktop build help

In the end you might pay more a little more in the long run, but the idea of replacing your computer with a cheaper one every few years isn't as desirable. It's not a finite slope, it's a curve. I build systems to last their main purpose of gaming usually for five years, or more, which usually I would usually have to replace the video card at least once for performance reasons. The processor is the biggest thing I consider, and then it's upgrade capacity like installed ram limits, etc.. Buy with the estimated curve, and you'll end up ahead a bit of buying to cheaper systems. Replace the video card in a few years as you purposefully didn't buy bleeding edge, and you're still doing good.

When you first build a computer you don't want the processor too stressed on your normal applications, with most of the applications I run on my i5 it rarely kicks in the extra speed unless a program doesn't effectively use more than one core while doing certain tasks.

In comparison the single core desktop my father uses bugs me to this day as when I have to look at it the processor, and the installed ram are both limiting factors to most applications like the browsers we use to this day. When your up to date browser shows the age of a system it's really time to consider upgrading unless it's a specialized production machine.

For the price difference going with the i5 vs the i3 should be one of the first things you upgrade, even before you add an ssd. I still don't have an ssd, and don't think I need one. An ssd is loading speed, not running speed.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.