uniqs
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to jduffy

to jduffy

Re: Avoiding E911 fee

said by jduffy:

OMG, the set-up fee is $1.50 and the monthly fee is only $1.50. Geez, people are going to create fake off-shore addresses to avoid paying a whopping $1.50 a month? Unbelievable.

Indeed.

Personally I'd get E911 on the VoIP line anyway. What if somebody is visiting and needs to call 911 and doesn't know what's VoIP or not. Calls 911 and nothing. Time wasted in an emergency = not good. Just something to take into consideration.
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

As I stated earlier, if I had an emergency and a guest had to call 911, as soon as they picked up the phone, it would default to the AT&T landline and emergency calls could be made there. It would be necessary for them to manually select another line in order to connect to the VOIP service.

Pick up the phone, get a dial-tone from AT&T and dial 911. What could be more simple?

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

said by daveinpoway:

As I stated earlier, if I had an emergency and a guest had to call 911, as soon as they picked up the phone, it would default to the AT&T landline and emergency calls could be made there. It would be necessary for them to manually select another line in order to connect to the VOIP service.

Pick up the phone, get a dial-tone from AT&T and dial 911. What could be more simple?

I understand the point you are trying to make, and you have a good setup. But you are the exception, and not the standard.

There are other things to consider. What if the guest panics and starts punching buttons before getting 911 dialed? What if your land-line goes out? The odds may be slim, but what happens if a car accident takes out the remote terminal around the time someone in the house is having a heart attack?

Just something to think about.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

People have right to make their own choices.
If he doesn't need it, why to force that service on him anyway?
Just something to think about too.
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway to billaustin

Premium Member

to billaustin
I understand that there are all sorts of possible situations, but, in practice, it is probably more likely for the Internet to be down than it is for the AT&T landline to fail. Also, if I were to use GoogleVoice (as has been suggested), I would not have 911 service there, either.

Hal Houston
@optonline.net

Hal Houston

Anon

said by daveinpoway:

I understand that there are all sorts of possible situations, but, in practice, it is probably more likely for the Internet to be down than it is for the AT&T landline to fail.

QFT.

However, your particular situation is somewhat unusual, as most folks with VoIP (not all, but most) probably are not still paying for a POTS line....

..unless they have a POTS-type line as a requirement of having DSL.