tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner

Premium Member

Rubbing sound after new brakes

So I had new rotors and pads installed all around last Friday. Last night I'm noticing a rubbing sound, sounds like dirty pads or something to that effect.

What would cause this? Does it eventually go away? I'm tempted to take the truck back to my guy and have him check it out but it's an inconvenience to do so because of my work schedule.

TIA

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

Sly

Premium Member

My pick would be a dust shield rubbing against the rotor. If that's the case, you could bend it by hand in less than a minute. Does it do it all the time or only when braking/turning/accelerating,etc?
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

It's more noticeable when I move the truck at less than 5 mph, either in reverse or drive. Noise goes away when driving faster than that.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer to tired_runner

Premium Member

to tired_runner
Jack up the wheel you think it's coming from and turn it by hand. You may want to remove the tire first so you can see if the shield is rubbing.

(Be sure to use a jack stand for safety - don't depend on the jack when you're into the wheel well!)

jmycknshk
...bring your green hat
join:2004-07-02
West Chester, PA

jmycknshk to tired_runner

to tired_runner
could just be the pads haven't bedded in yet.
how far have you driven on them? bedding in, is manufacturer-dependent, but usually they recommend at least 400-500 miles before you do any hard stops.

»www.tirerack.com/brakes/ ··· echid=85
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

Probably about 20 miles tops.

I want to jack up the truck to have a look see. Work schedule gets in the way.