join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online

Rubbing sound after new brakes

So I had new rotors and pads installed all around last Friday. Last night I'm noticing a rubbing sound, sounds like dirty pads or something to that effect.

What would cause this? Does it eventually go away? I'm tempted to take the truck back to my guy and have him check it out but it's an inconvenience to do so because of my work schedule.

TIA

Sly
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Chuckey, TN
kudos:1

My pick would be a dust shield rubbing against the rotor. If that's the case, you could bend it by hand in less than a minute. Does it do it all the time or only when braking/turning/accelerating,etc?

Network Guy
Premium
New York

It's more noticeable when I move the truck at less than 5 mph, either in reverse or drive. Noise goes away when driving faster than that.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to Network Guy

Jack up the wheel you think it's coming from and turn it by hand. You may want to remove the tire first so you can see if the shield is rubbing.

(Be sure to use a jack stand for safety - don't depend on the jack when you're into the wheel well!)
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

jmycknshk
...bring your green hat

join:2004-07-02
West Chester, PA
reply to Network Guy

could just be the pads haven't bedded in yet.
how far have you driven on them? bedding in, is manufacturer-dependent, but usually they recommend at least 400-500 miles before you do any hard stops.

»www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/tec···echid=85

--

Network Guy
Premium
New York

Probably about 20 miles tops.

I want to jack up the truck to have a look see. Work schedule gets in the way.