spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dagg21

@frontiercorp.com

Can I use netgear 7550 as a wireless AP?

Current config

DSL line--->NG7550(bridge mode)--->Asus 1750 ac Router

But I have an extra 7550 laying around. I was wondering if I could use it as a wirless N access point for my Ps3 to get a better connection LAN speed for streaming. I know I can buy one just wondered if this can be repurposed. Didnt know if anyone had tried this.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

Yes
This can be done with a few configuration changes to the extra 7550

The extra 7550 must be connected via ethernet cable

Dagg21

@frontiercorp.com

Thanks Wayjac are you saying it has to be wired to my Router? or to my ps3 (which i know).

If its wired to the router I guess I need to go a different route.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

The extra 7550 has to be wired to the router

Strider7Sfga

@50.42.20.x
reply to Dagg21

Unless you really need the dual channel wireless N as well as Gigabit LAN in the Asus 1750, I have to ask why you're bridging the 7550 to it at all. There are a lot of viable options as far as powerline network adapters out there at very reasonable cost. I've bought two sets of Trendnet (tpl-303E2K) 200Mbps adapters that work beautifully for how our home is set up. Computer room and DSL Modem is upstairs, Sony Blu-ray player downstairs. Master and Guest bedrooms, etc... You don't have to worry about signal strength for wi-fi connections when the doors are closed, walls, wireless phones stepping on signals, etc...They're pretty much plug-n-play devices that you plug into an electrical wall outlet near your modem, plug in a cat5E RJ45 ethernet cable, place the other adapter near, in your case, PS3, plug in the additional cat5E RJ45 cable and it's as if you were plugged into the modem itself. No additional networking voodoo to go through. Plug them in, synchronize and away you go. Lot of flavors to choose from and this is the time of year for great deals. Inventory clearance sales are great during the post Christmas, pre-income tax period. From my own personal experience with the set's I've purchased, it's been well worth the investment and the headache of trying to go through all the configuration hoops-n-hurdles to make it all work properly.

Dagg21

@frontiercorp.com

The 7550 couldnt handle the 15 or so wireless devices all working in unison in house my thus the recent ASUS AC 1750 purchase. So it takes the dsl handoff and passes to the ASUS router. I have looked into powerline but real speeds dont match what the box says.

»reviews.cnet.com/bridges/netgear···8-2.html

I would be interested to see if you can get access into that device and get a "real speed"

I was able to use the netgear wnce2001 that I had hooked into my direct tv box and I was seeing 135 to 150 mbps to the ps3 last night. I am trying to build a network in my home that can handle HD streaming and I am getting close but not quite there yet. The article I linked is old so maybe there has been more progress.

Expand your moderator at work

Strider7Sfga

@50.126.55.x
reply to Dagg21

Re: Can I use netgear 7550 as a wireless AP?

Well, my understanding, as far as true HD streaming from providers such as Netflix, hulu+, tum-tiki, Amazon, Directv on demand, etc..., it generally takes a minimum of 7Mbps, preferably more, to get full 1080p HD content without signal drop off or ungodly buffering pauses. EG: We have 3mbps down and stream non- HD content from Netflix just fine using the power-line adapter with ethernet cable intead of the previous USB wireless dongle for the Sony Blu-ray disk player with apps. Unless you're getting better than 7mbps down, with that many devices (15+?) running in your existing network setup, you'll be hard pressed to attain true HD streaming unless the other devices are off and only one device is getting the available bandwidth.(presumably the PS3.) I'm going to assume that, since you're using the 7550 bridged to the Asus, you are on the 7Mbps HSI max plan ? I have no idea as to what packages are available to you in your area, but you may want to check into the latest adsl2+ bonded (12/2 residential) or vdsl (25/2 residential) availability with customer service.

As for progress in the power-line adapters currently on the market, there has been considerable improvement and there are plenty of varying throughput options available at a reasonable cost. It depends on what your budget is and what your absolute needs are.
the 2 sets of the trendnets were bought on special for around $50 per set at newegg. Since we only have the 3mbps/863Kbps package, the 200MBs throughput is more than substantial for our needs. As for the true throughput of the adapters, since we're not using any network shares, I've never bothered with testing or benchmarking the trendnets, but most of the current stats can usually be found on the respective adapter manufacturer sites easily enough.

jenni4um

join:2012-12-10
Henrietta, NY
reply to Dagg21

The westell 7550 can easily be used as a wireless access point. The easiest way for this to work would be to set the modem into bridged mode. This will allow it to be a pass through so it is not trying to authenticate with PPPoE twice on your network. This should be a fairly easy change I believe it would be under the advanced section of the firmware.

I hope this helps.

Frontier Fan!!

dagg21

@frontiercorp.com
reply to Strider7Sfga

Hi Strider its all streaming done LAN side not over the net via netflix. So PC running Serviio-->Asus router with 2tb drive filled with video(some hd 1080p)/music-->streaming to 2 ipads/2 smart tvs/2 droids/1 ps3

So its not so much frontier internet speed I am concerned with but the wireless mbps in my house. I am getting 300mpbs from pc to router its then router to tv/ps3 or ipad i am trying to improve.

Strider7Sfga

@frontiernet.net

Well, since it's LAN based file sharing/serving and the Asus has Gigabit LAN capability, I'd still go with the Power-line adapters for any devices not wireless only.(ipad, droid, etc...) . Wireless N , in my understanding, pretty much tops out at the 300Mbps transfer rate. That's pretty fast, but it won't be enough for true HD (1080p) streaming to a wireless dependent device. As for your set top box for DirecTV, Smart TV's with apps, PS3, most of the newer models come with an Ethernet port available.

Q: Have you tried benchmarking the throughput of the Asus on a wired connection ?
Q: Is the PC serving the files hard wired to the Asus, or using wireless broadcast?

The real bottleneck in all this would still be the netgear 7550-n due to it only having 10/100 Ethernet as opposed to the bridged Asus supporting 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN. The Asus will be reverse compatible to the Netgears' 10/100, but as far as forward compatible, up conversion to 10/100/1000 ? I can't say for a certainty, but I'd have to say "probably not." Chalk up another one for Frontier's crap hardware and the Gaul to actually charge a monthly rental / support fee to have a non-standards, mass produced, Chinese piece of on your desk. Might be worth your while to check some of the existing manufacturers of ADSL2+ modem/gateways to see if any of them are marketing one with Gigabit LAN /Wireless N built in. I currently have and use the Actiontec GT784WN, but it only comes with the 10/100 Ethernet LAN. It surpasses the Netgear 7550's performance, or lack there of, in every respect. The Bonus is, I own it, support it and don't pay a monthly extortion fee to use it.

jamesonnorth

join:2012-12-22
Modoc, IN
reply to Dagg21

I have a Dell PowerEdge server that hosts all my music, movies, software, etc. It handles the DHCP, DNS, and Active Directory for my network, as well as serving the iTunes/AppleTV stuff, VMs, and even network backups. Needless to say, my network sees a lot of traffic. So I'm in a similar situation as you, as far as the amount and type of traffic being pushed over my network.

I will tell you the best way to do it is wired Ethernet to as many devices as possible, and you really don't need over 100mbps to do the highest quality 3D 1080p content you can find. Unless you're doing 2k or 4k video, you don't need gigabit for anything but the media server. I have my server connected to a Netgear WNDR4500, and the Netgear is connected (via gigabit) to a 48-port Cisco Catalyst 100mbps switch that pushes network traffic to all the computers and streaming devices. My server will reach over 100mbps sending out video and music to all the computers, AppleTVs, etc., but none of those devices EVER come close to 100mbps. The AppleTVs might peak at 60mbps when buffering, and the computers will peak at 75-90mbps periodically.

Simply put, you don't need 450mbps WiFi, and the powerline connectors would do just fine for you as long as you're getting real world 50-75mbps out of them. If those don't work and you're having trouble with WiFi from a decent router, you just need to run Cat5e or Cat6 throughout your house and put in more dummy APs connected via gigabit to a central switch.

The simplest thing to do is to put the 7550 into bridge mode, then set the most powerful router you have (or a customer pfSense server) as the firewall, DNS, and DHCP server, then put gigabit out to a gigabit switch that feeds two or three decent wireless routers. Those routers should have DHCP turned off, and you should connect them via LAN ports--NOT via internet/WAN ports. Set the wireless channels to 1, 6, and 11 for 2.4ghz, and just pick three channels that are about 6 apart for 5ghz, and you should be good. That's essentially what I've done, except I'm in a Windows Server environment.

If you want serious performance, you need network planning and serious hardware. Whenever possible, I recommend using servers versus little consumer routers.
--
CompTIA Net+ Network Administrator - I know networks!
Professional Photographer - www.jnphoto.biz - Weddings and Senior Photos
Nice and comfy with Frontier DSL: I can help with your issues!
»speedtest.net/result/2472459013.png