Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Socket Internet ..

1 recommendation

reply to alphapointe

Re: Compressed air dryer ready to make me scream.

Problems located and solved.

1: The pressure was dropping through the air dryer because it was freezing up. I put a temperature logger in the mechanical room, and it was getting to about 45 in there... Hot gas bypass valve was readjusted per HF, and I'm shutting the dryer off if it gets really cold. I'll probably put it on a thermostat to keep it off if it's too cold.

2: The old gauges and filter have been replaced.

3: A second oil separation filter was added between the compressor and the dryer.

4: We have a new compressor now... it's not the Ingersol that I wanted, it's a Kobalt, but it's better than that little bitty HF portable one...

5: I put an automatic condensate drain valve on the compressor, as the night clerks were not draining the condensate off each night like they were supposed to...

Thanks for the suggestions and tips, it gave me a place to start looking, and (not insignificantly) helped me convince management to get a better compressor. (Now if I could convince them to lose the pneumatics all together... nice wish!)
--
"When the hammer drops, the bullshit stops"

EDIT: Spelling

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:2
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

said by alphapointe:

1: The pressure was dropping through the air dryer because it was freezing up. I put a temperature logger in the mechanical room, and it was getting to about 45 in there...

So the mechanical room is unconditioned space?

They should put a heater in there, or crank up the heat if it's already heated.

Obviously, since the air dryer functions by condensing moisture from the compressed air, it wont work if that air is already very cold.

Oh, and that's kind of a crappy air dryer for it to freeze like that. A good one should have a thermostat to provide better temperature regulation and prevent freezing.

Although, you are operating it probably well below its intended ambient temperature range.