spc
Search similar:

uniqs

radioguinea
join:2001-08-18
Carle Place, NY

radioguinea

[OOL] Optimum Online Only and basic cable

quick question to anyone that has OOL only (no tv/phone). I'm thinking of doing this when my promotion is up. Using just coax into your tv and using the tv digital tuner can you still see some of the basic channels (2,4,7,ect.) even if you dont subscribe to TV at all?
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145

yes if the coax is connect to an antenna

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69 to radioguinea

to radioguinea
1) They'll eventually put a video trap on your line.
2) Using services that you don't pay for is called "theft of service"

radioguinea
join:2001-08-18
Carle Place, NY

radioguinea

said by limegrass69:

1) They'll eventually put a video trap on your line.
2) Using services that you don't pay for is called "theft of service"

Oh I understand, and I fully dont expect it to work. I was just curious. My wife and I barely watch live TV anymore so when our Promo is up if they dont do anything for us we may just use Internet only (we use netflix, amazon instant, ect.)

xirian
Premium Member
join:2003-01-26
Beacon, NY

xirian to radioguinea

Premium Member

to radioguinea
if theres no video trap on the line and your tv has a QAM tuner, then you would get local channels. But there should be a trap unless you also subscribe to basic cable, which is $15.52 a month.

GNShell
join:2001-02-12

GNShell to radioguinea

to radioguinea
Cut TV and phone here. Kept OOL broadband only (netflix, amazon, etc.). I use an antenna to receive local broadcast channels (they installed video trap outside). Works as expected. My broadband usage has gone up of course (due to netflix mainly).

sff
join:1999-07-20
New Rochelle, NY

sff

Sometimes they don't put a trap on immediately. They wait about a month. Then they figure you will get addicted. So when they put the trap on, you will call and order TV service.
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029 to radioguinea

to radioguinea
Didn't they make it so a cablebox is needed even for basic cable?

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69

said by majortom1029:

Depends where you live. In Bronx/Brooklyn you need a box or CableCard device for every screen. Most everywhere else, you can get broadcast basic channels with a digital TV set. Anything above broadcast basic requires a box or CableCard in those areas.
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029

said by limegrass69:

said by majortom1029:

Depends where you live. In Bronx/Brooklyn you need a box or CableCard device for every screen. Most everywhere else, you can get broadcast basic channels with a digital TV set. Anything above broadcast basic requires a box or CableCard in those areas.

I live in brookhaven on long island and I need a box for everything including basic cable.
RemyM
join:2005-02-14
Pinehurst, NC

RemyM

said by majortom1029:

said by limegrass69:

said by majortom1029:

I live in brookhaven on long island and I need a box for everything including basic cable.

You wouldn't if your TV had a QAM tuner.

aannonn
@optonline.net

aannonn to radioguinea

Anon

to radioguinea
Call and cancel your TV and/or phone, and they'll likely offer you another deal.

OOL only is $55/month.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to radioguinea

Premium Member

to radioguinea
I've got OOL and basic cable for my local channels, and I have a Roku box for everything else.

I can watch movies via my Amazon Prime subscription (or subscribe to Netflix if I want) on it, and I use the Playon Premium and Plex channels in addition to all the channels the Roku provides to watch almost anything I want. The caveat is that the majority of the channels are not live - with the exception of the international news channels, many of which are broadcast live in English - but it doesn't really matter because you just access the episodes you want to watch of most shows you want.
Stevies3
join:2001-12-29
Woodbury, NY

2 edits

Stevies3 to RemyM

to RemyM
I live in Woodbury, Long Island. Do I need a box If I have a QAM enabled TV? I'm pretty sure Samsung sets are QAM enabled.
RemyM
join:2005-02-14
Pinehurst, NC

RemyM

The only Cablevision systems that currently need a box to get broadcast basic are The Bronx and Brooklyn. All other systems can get it with a digital TV with a QAM tuner.